All things Dundee FC

Hamilton scored a worldy with their only shot on target, their keeper pulls 4 excellent saves, the ball doesn’t land to one of our players in the scramble in the 6 yard box, Mulligan missed a sitter and we’ve dominated that game from around the 15 minute mark to the end. One of those days, we move on. 

Disappointed with the starting line up tbh and McCowan shouldn’t have been subbied as he was tearing the fullback apart. 

Not a disaster. 

I see Billy Thomson has sadly passed away. Obviously better known for his St Mirren and Tannadice spells, but he played a few games for us in the mid-90s, most memorably in a Coca Cola Cup tie at Tannadice where after spilling an easy shot to concede the opener, produced a series of absolutely ridiculous saves to keep us in the tie, then a couple to win the penalty shoot-out. 

RIP

Most gutted I've ever been after a game was the 87 Scottish cup semi final at Tynecastle, (would surely have beaten St Mirren in the final) Thomson was outstanding with save after save, one in particular from a Bomber free kick that was immense. Fantastic goalkeeper.

RIP Billy.

6 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Most gutted I've ever been after a game was the 87 Scottish cup semi final at Tynecastle, (would surely have beaten St Mirren in the final) Thomson was outstanding with save after save, one in particular from a Bomber free kick that was immense. Fantastic goalkeeper.

RIP Billy.

You can relive it here:

John Brown would possibly walk today after 10seconds. Never even got a yellow card back then. No wonder he ended up at Ibrox.

BTW what is with all the Union Jacks behind the goal?

Leftover from a Hearts game? 

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

RIP Billy.

That Cup run was totally bizarre. We needed 5 games to get past Meadowbank and East Fife, then absolutely flattened Clydebank in the QFs 4-0 away, United were 1-2 to home to Forfar who conceded to daft penalty with the last action of the game near enough. Forfar themselves then missed two pens in two minutes in the replay.

We'd surely have beaten Forfar in the semi, and had a good chance against St Mirren in the final. I think we beat them 6-3 in the winter, and I'm sure won in Paisley as well. 

2 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

That Cup run was totally bizarre. We needed 5 games to get past Meadowbank and East Fife, then absolutely flattened Clydebank in the QFs 4-0 away, United were 1-2 to home to Forfar who conceded to daft penalty with the last action of the game near enough. Forfar themselves then missed two pens in two minutes in the replay.

We'd surely have beaten Forfar in the semi, and had a good chance against St Mirren in the final. I think we beat them 6-3 in the winter, and I'm sure won in Paisley as well. 

Halleys comet was in the sky as well, same as it was in 1910.

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

RIP Billy.

Same for me, Thomson was outstanding that day. RIP

The '84 semi against Aberdeen again at Tynecastle was a sickener as well, 2 goals chopped off for fouls on Aberdeen keeper, Walker McCall and Jim Leighton if memory serves me right.

Edited by rhumbaclub
spelling mistake

4 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I’m sure that season we hammered St Mirren 3 out of the 4 times we played them. I think we gave them 4, 5 and 6 in the 3 games with something like a 5 nil win at Dens near the end of the season. That’s the year we should’ve beat the hoodoo!

Poor Billy Thompson. 64 - no age at all. 
I remember the day he signed for us. It was in the teletext days. The strap line was ‘Dundee Sign Scottish International Goalkeeper’. Dialled in the page number all excited. Billy Thompson. He was 38 and extremely short sighted - a tad disappointing but he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

RIP Billy

4 hours ago, Yenitit said:

I’m sure that season we hammered St Mirren 3 out of the 4 times we played them. I think we gave them 4, 5 and 6 in the 3 games with something like a 5 nil win at Dens near the end of the season. That’s the year we should’ve beat the hoodoo!

The fabulous Dee Archive has us winning 3 out of the 4 games. 

2-1 and 6-3 at Dens 

1-0 and 1-4 at Love Street

Am i right in thinking that TC's first goals were in the 6-3 after we signed him from the DABs?

1 hour ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Am i right in thinking that TC's first goals were in the 6-3 after we signed him from the DABs?

According to Dee Archive the goals came from a Jim Duffy penalty, John Brown, and 2 goals apiece from Keith Wright and Graham Harvey. It was Coyne's first game though, and the match report included is a good read.

https://deearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3869

6 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

According to Dee Archive the goals came from a Jim Duffy penalty, John Brown, and 2 goals apiece from Keith Wright and Graham Harvey. It was Coyne's first game though, and the match report included is a good read.

https://deearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3869

Oh how I remember this one. Met my brother as usual in the Derry. He said what do you think of the new signing. I said well don’t know that much about him and I don’t think we can expect too much given he’s coming from part time. He said no we’ve fookin signed Tommy Coyne from the Arabs this morning!

Ah - the good old days.