All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I know that Motherwell have consistently played Shields out wide, despite being a striker and that's been a big frustration for him (also finding the specific focus on old goal stats weird today).

My issue with Shields is I'm still not convinced his purple patch with QoS was ever more than just that. I remember thinking so too when it was happening.

When Hammell got the job his first point was that our forward area didn't have anywhere near enough depth. The implication was basically that we were starting guys like Shields and Efford who weren't actually good enough to be nailed on first picks (he wasn't wrong).

He brought Moult, McKinstry and Rolando Aarons back to the club, the former as cover for Van Veen and the other two were/are wide players. In theory that would have seen Shields bumped down to the bench and used more as a squad player. Which is probably the role he should have as he's kind of struggled with the step up from QotS to the Premiership.

We got a grand total of 50 minutes out of Aarons before his knee exploded. Efford has been out since the start of October. The result is that we've had no alternatives so Shields been getting played week in, week out regardless of form, in a shape that doesn't really suit him and his confidence seems to be absolutely fucking shot.

A loan back to the Championship could do him the world of good tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Byrne is tied to the local area with his living situation, so I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere else unless Raith or Dunfermline or somebody is willing to pay for him, which is very unlikely.

I agree and I would personally be keeping Byrne. I guess I'm just trying to work out his angle on the recruitment.

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

I agree and I would personally be keeping Byrne. I guess I'm just trying to work out his angle on the recruitment.

Maybe doesn't particularly rate Byrne (he has been very hit and miss) and Gowser not looking a safe bet to be a regular so where is the holding midfielder? He's been turning to McGhee, that says a lot

6 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Not to obsess too much over stats, but he had more starts for Dundee than that.

You didn't answer my question about when standard started to slip though? Who is your alternative to bringing in rather than Zach Robinson? Cristiano Ronaldo?

They started to slip in my opinion when people think Zach Robinson scoring 7 goals in the worst championship in living memory is a great signing. Leighton McIntosh has 1 less in the same amount of games, would he be a good signing?

I grew up watching Harvey, Coyne, Wright, Dodds, Shaw, Grady, Sara, Novo, Lovell. Griffiths, P McDonald, G Stewart, Hemmings that is the standard and nothing we have now is close to it.

5 minutes ago, rhumbaclub said:

They started to slip in my opinion when people think Zach Robinson scoring 7 goals in the worst championship in living memory is a great signing. Leighton McIntosh has 1 less in the same amount of games, would he be a good signing?

I grew up watching Harvey, Coyne, Wright, Dodds, Shaw, Grady, Sara, Novo, Lovell. Griffiths, P McDonald, G Stewart, Hemmings that is the standard and nothing we have now is close to it.

I know what you mean but I also think Robinson is better than you do. For a very young lad, hundreds of miles away from home he gave a very good account oh himself in his short time with us. Would be good business to sign him up permanently - could well earn us some dosh down the line too. 

Leighton never showed the tactical understanding along with general confidence on the ball that Robinson shows. That, along with being slow, caught up with Leighton.  I don't weigh Robinson in terms of goals per game but what he also does elsewhere on the park.

Am I stretching a point saying Leighton was in a more stable squad?

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Anyone able to work out what the script is with this? Greg Fenton also wished the guy a safe flight.

I’m guessing they’re some butters who have an odd away trip to random clubs. 
Either that or it’s Dimitar’s nom de guerre.