All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, rhumbaclub said:

Majority of Hemmings goals were scored in the Premier league i would imagine? Robinson is playing in a poor championship.

Hemmings last time with us was in the championship and his goals per minute were literally half that of Robinson.

3 minutes ago, rhumbaclub said:

You brought up Hemmings record but now you only want to use his second spell?

What are you talking about? I was responding to your question? 

I used both of his spells at Dundee, irrespective of what league it was in, to show that his return wasn't as good as Robinsons was as a justification for us potentially getting him on a permanent deal...

5 minutes ago, Kempes said:

How is Tyler doing? Sorry to see him stretchered off on Saturday but not heard what the injury is. Hope he’s not out too long.

Broken leg, would be surprised if he's back at any point this season. It was a clean break though and surgery was successful, so he's back home resting, and we wish him all the best in recovery.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

10 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

What are you talking about? I was responding to your question? 

I used both of his spells at Dundee, irrespective of what league it was in, to show that his return wasn't as good as Robinsons was as a justification for us potentially getting him on a permanent deal...

Kane Hemmings 31 goals (21 in Premiership) in 57 starts for Dundee. Zach Robinson 7 goals in 16 starts in the Championship. 

The obsession in this thread with Forward players' goal numbers baffles me, but FWIW, Robinson is scoring at a goal every 100 minutes. We're not a team of the quality of some of the runaway Championship winners of the past few years, so the idea that we should have a guy scoring 40-50 goals this season is ridiculous.

51 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

They can't: the sub appearance he made on returning to Wimbledon means he can only play for Wimbledon or Dundee for the rest of the season.

They should have a longer term outlook on signings that they're forking out cash for than just the next 4-5 month tbh.

6 minutes ago, rhumbaclub said:

Kane Hemmings 31 goals (21 in Premiership) in 57 starts for Dundee. Zach Robinson 7 goals in 16 starts in the Championship. 

Are we to compare every striker to the best we've had since the Bonetti era? Robinson's hold up and link play is sublime for a boy that just turned 20 as he joined us. 4 goals in his last 6 appearances for us just suggests he was just getting better IMO.

For what it's worth, there's not many strikers that score more than 20 a season these days and 9 time out of 10 they're at the top clubs.

6 minutes ago, rhumbaclub said:

Not to obsess too much over stats, but he had more starts for Dundee than that.

You didn't answer my question about when standard started to slip though? Who is your alternative to bringing in rather than Zach Robinson? Cristiano Ronaldo?

3 minutes ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

Is he really a striker? 2 goals in 42....3 in 30 at Alloa...

I know that Motherwell have consistently played Shields out wide, despite being a striker and that's been a big frustration for him (also finding the specific focus on old goal stats weird today).

My issue with Shields is I'm still not convinced his purple patch with QoS was ever more than just that. I remember thinking so too when it was happening.

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I know that Motherwell have consistently played Shields out wide, despite being a striker and that's been a big frustration for him (also finding the specific focus on old goal stats weird today).

My issue with Shields is I'm still not convinced his purple patch with QoS was ever more than just that. I remember thinking so too when it was happening.

I genuinely can't remember him playing for Queen of the South, mind you that isn't any marker for how good he is. 

We already have a striker who's tendency is to be played out on the wing and not score many goals in Jakubiak so I'm not seeing the benefit in this one. More than happy to be proven wrong though.

I was looking yesterday after we signed Maguire and we have so many central midfielders. I know that a lot of them can have various different positions therefore their versatility is pretty beneficial but the list is:

McGhee (shown as a midfielder on the official site), Byrne, McGowan, Robertson, Anderson, Cameron, Maguire and Mulligan. 

Does anyone think we can see some leaving? Bowyer maybe still intent on seeing Byrne out the door? 

6 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I was looking yesterday after we signed Maguire and we have so many central midfielders. I know that a lot of them can have various different positions therefore their versatility is pretty beneficial but the list is:

McGhee (shown as a midfielder on the official site), Byrne, McGowan, Robertson, Anderson, Cameron, Maguire and Mulligan. 

Does anyone think we can see some leaving? Bowyer maybe still intent on seeing Byrne out the door? 

I'm beginning to wonder if Gowser is injured - has he been seen since the gambling thing?

Quite like this getting creative thing with Bowyer - rather than just filling the place with more and more imposters he's getting rid and trying to replace with better.

8 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Plus Williamson

3 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

When Bowyer was talking about Maguire to the press he kept comparing him to French, insisting he can be more of a utility player for us. I know he'd played around the defence for Motherwell, included a spell at CB, so it seems Bowyer is eyeing him to fill in holes whenever he's needed rather than strictly the midfield.

Curiously, Maguire described himself as a box-to-box or holding midfielder, but nothing about being a defender.

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

When Bowyer was talking about Maguire to the press he kept comparing him to French, insisting he can be more of a utility player for us. I know he'd played around the defence for Motherwell, included a spell at CB, so it seems Bowyer is eyeing him to fill in holes whenever he's needed rather than strictly the midfield.

Curiously, Maguire described himself as a box-to-box or holding midfielder, but nothing about being a defender.

I suppose having strength in versatile players is a decent option but there's a fine balance in that as opposed to having players that don't fit a certain role. 

You're right Maguire did say that and he also said he could be played as a holder who isn't afraid of doing the ugly stuff. That instantly made me think of Byrne's role and how he could potentially still go to free up wages for more incomings. 

15 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I suppose having strength in versatile players is a decent option but there's a fine balance in that as opposed to having players that don't fit a certain role. 

You're right Maguire did say that and he also said he could be played as a holder who isn't afraid of doing the ugly stuff. That instantly made me think of Byrne's role and how he could potentially still go to free up wages for more incomings. 

Byrne is tied to the local area with his living situation, so I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere else unless Raith or Dunfermline or somebody is willing to pay for him, which is very unlikely.