All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I don't totally buy that. They're a test of some skill and more bottle. Us therefore losing a shoot-out is the least surprising thing ever. 

Although a certain amount of luck comes into it (just like any part of the game) I actually agree with the highlighted part.  What is completely unsurprising is Sheridan wasn’t fighting to be one of the first up to take a penalty.  Imagine being a STRIKER, who is supposedly trying to get first team starts, and letting Cameron take the responsibility for the third penalty.  Absolutely no criticism of Cameron by me - credit to the young lad having the confidence to take it.  Likewise no criticism of Rudden and Thomas. 

There were three strikers on the pitch when the penalties were being taken.  I expect all three to take full responsibility and be the first three up.  Their job description is to put the ball in the back of the net.  It’s not up to them to  decide under what circumstances they wish to try and do that.  Different if we had a midfielder or defender who was a proven penalty ‘expert’ but we don’t have that luxury.

Regardless of the above, apart from the loss of income, given our small squad (quality wise)  it’s perhaps no bad thing to be out the cup and fully concentrating on winning the league.  

2 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I don't totally buy that. They're a test of some skill and more bottle. Us therefore losing a shoot-out is the least surprising thing ever. 

Don’t really buy want? As soon as I heard the stat I hazard a guess with it being Dundee what the outcome would be and it materialised. 

33 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

About a month ago you were saying Sheridan is the best striker at the club and today he's a waste of skin. 

Don’t think that’s quite what I said! Anyway I reserve the right to change my mind on every player at a moment’s notice, except Ledzgins - he’s pish. 

20 minutes ago, The Derry said:

Who would win, 11 Cillian Sheridans or 11 Martin Woods?

See that's it. If Sheridan knocked his pan in but was just shite, I wouldn't have an issue. It's the half hearted pathetic attempt he puts in. He's probably got the most natural talent of our strikers but doesn't give a shite. 

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

See that's it. If Sheridan knocked his pan in but was just shite, I wouldn't have an issue. It's the half hearted pathetic attempt he puts in. He's probably got the most natural talent of our strikers but doesn't give a shite. 

He should have been given the McGinn treatment and they could have shared a taxi to Glentoran or wherever McGinn went. 

I was saying to the wife with 5 mins to go , get sharp on , he’s not our best keeper but he’s our best shot stopper , 

I’ve saw this done  before in European shoot outs , we’ll never know  though if Harry would’ve saved more than one , but he would’ve at least tried to save the last one , our keeper never even moved for it 

41 minutes ago, Vernon gilmore said:

I was saying to the wife with 5 mins to go , get sharp on , he’s not our best keeper but he’s our best shot stopper , 

I’ve saw this done  before in European shoot outs , we’ll never know  though if Harry would’ve saved more than one , but he would’ve at least tried to save the last one , our keeper never even moved for it 

Tbf if our own players hit shite pens it makes no real difference 😂

17 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Sooner Sheridan is punted the better, absolute shitebag behaviour, although shitebag behaviour seems to be a running theme with him. Would rather give a youth striker a chance.

Defo. 
Someone like Cedwyn Scott. 24 in 42 games for Gateshead, 12 in 24 for Notts County. Banged them in for our reserves and we punt him. 

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don’t think he’s doing anything halfhearted. As far as I see he puts the effort in but nothing’s coming off for him.

Comes on and guys are on his back from the minute he steps on the park. 100% he’ll hear this and will also know he’s getting abuse on social media putting himself under pressure before he’s kicked a ball. it doesn’t help him or the team. It’s 1 thing posting about him online but the abuse he gets at the games isn’t helping anyone. I’m sure he’ll admit this is the worst period and probably move in his career. 

100% a McPake f**k up again. Offers an injury prone striker at the end of his career a 2 year deal. If I was Sheridan I’d bite his hand off for it and I’d 100% wouldn’t be walking away from that contract at this moment in time. We fucked up offering him a deal which for the benefit of the club comes to an end in 5 months time. 

Edited by Yenitit

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

I don’t think he’s doing anything halfhearted. As far as I see he puts the effort in but nothing’s coming off for him.

Comes on and guys are on his back from the minute he steps on the park. 100% he’ll hear this and will also know he’s getting abuse on social media putting himself under pressure before he’s kicked a ball. it doesn’t help him or the team. It’s 1 thing posting about him online but the abuse he gets at the games isn’t helping anyone. I’m sure he’ll admit this is the worst period and probably move in his career. 

100% a McPake f**k up again. Offers an injury prone striker at the end of his career a 2 year deal. If I was Sheridan I’d bite his hand off for it and I’d 100% wouldn’t be walking away from that contract at this moment in time. We fucked up offering him a deal which for the benefit of the club comes to an end in 5 months time. 

He had the chance to take a high pressure penalty yesterday but let a young kid take it instead.  Sorry, I’m just not with you on this one.   I’m not seeing the determination and effort for the cause. 

According to Wiki, in the  2.5 years before he joined us he’d signed and played for 3 clubs.  Played 66 games and scored 7 goals.  I think his lack of goals has more to do with the fact that a while ago time sent him and invoice and he’s paid with his strength and his legs -rather than any abuse from the stands or comments on social media.

20 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

He had the chance to take a high pressure penalty yesterday but let a young kid take it instead.  Sorry, I’m just not with you on this one.   I’m not seeing the determination and effort for the cause. 

According to Wiki, in the  2.5 years before he joined us he’d signed and played for 3 clubs.  Played 66 games and scored 7 goals.  I think his lack of goals has more to do with the fact that a while ago time sent him and invoice and he’s paid with his strength and his legs -rather than any abuse from the stands or comments on social media.

Plenty of strikers don’t take penalties. For all we know he could’ve been on number 5. Lyall strikes the ball as good as anyone in our side yesterday. I thought he’d take 1, disappointed he didn’t put his foot through it. 

He’s not a goalscorer, never has been. He’s clearly a target man who’s in a side to hold the ball up, win headers, occupy the centrehalfs with the hope we get others running off him. Never  a left winger. 

Edited by Yenitit