All things Dundee FC

That guy is most likely talking shite, but it has made me feel slightly uncomfortable after we've released a statement saying that 'it'd be fiscally irresponsible for the club to put the undersoil heating on'.

As I said yesterday, I don't think Grayson is that bad but more importantly, I feel like Bowyer rated him much more than we did so I'm shocked for him to be sending him back for purely football related reasons. Just a little uneasy.

If we hurry up and get a signing over the line soon, I'll feel a bit better!

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That guy is most likely talking shite, but it has made me feel slightly uncomfortable after we've released a statement saying that 'it'd be fiscally irresponsible for the club to put the undersoil heating on'.

As I said yesterday, I don't think Grayson is that bad but more importantly, I feel like Bowyer rated him much more than we did so I'm shocked for him to be sending him back for purely football related reasons. Just a little uneasy.

If we hurry up and get a signing over the line soon, I'll feel a bit better!

bowyer has been saying he has to get creative this transfer window and like i have said elsewhere grayson is/was currently 6th choice...we've had byrne,williamson,anderson,mulligan and robertson start or come off the bench before him so imo its purely a footballing reason and to free up some wages decision to get rid is fine by me we need a few more away aswell.

maybe grayson has asked to go due to his limited time lately 

Today's been some laugh for poorly-worded statements. I'd have thought to anyone that spending £15,000 on undersoil heating for a Challenge Cup game which would net just peanuts in return would be a sensible decision, never mind the fact that the condition of certain areas of the pitch would still be unplayable even if the heating was on, rendering turning it on pointless. The fact that it's happened the same day that some poorly-worded tweet from some independent English journo is downright funny.

This journo has no idea what's happening in Scotland, all he'll have been told is that Joe Grayson looks to be returning to Barrow from Dundee as we are looking to free up finances, and he's receiving offers from other English teams. He'll have looked up Dundee, seen the story about not turning on undersoil heating, and made the assumption that it's a general financial issue problem. He doesn't know that Grayson has been benchwarming for the last few weeks and is very much out of the starting XI (which is proven by his follow-up tweet in which he claims Grayson has impressed up here which is just untrue), and has looked out our recent outgoings and decided we're clearing players up fast, when the departures have been either dead weight being let go or loan periods being ended by their parent clubs. I do believe he's heard that Grayson is returning to England, but clearly he doesn't care about the fact that we're emptying dead weight to make room for players who can actually help us in our attempt to win the league/get promoted. While I definitely don't think he needs to care either, such a poorly-worded tweet has caused uproar in a way it really didn't need to, as all he cares about is that an English player is coming back to England and he must've done well in Scotland cos some English teams are interested in him.

I'm under no illusion that we as a club are playing a dangerous game all the time, and that if the Americans pack up at any point then we are once again back in a scary situation and having Dee4Life and such preparing for said eventuality is important, but with the sheer amount of investment in the stadium, this is not an issue in the short-term, and it is much the same case for our neighbours. At no point has Bowyer suggested that the reason for not being able to sign players is due to a lack of funding. Managers discuss financial problems stopping signings all the time, and I highly doubt Bowyer would be much different if he felt he wasn't being backed. I do believe the purse-strings will have been tightened from the Americans' experiences with McCann, McIntyre and McPake, but I think the biggest issue is that he's targeting players from the markets he knows and it's been a struggle due to that, as the appeal of moving up north is probably limited. Maybe his constant talk of being 'gazumped' is a hint, but it's happened so many times that I question the recruiting and his mindset around signing players. With him getting rid of the dead wood and wages freed up, I fully expect some additions now. If we don't sign anyone, then I'll admit I'm wrong and there is something more troubling than I thought going on. I truly believe though that Bowyer is insistent on quality over quantity during this window, and there's a part of me that thinks he fully expects Robinson back this month too.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Where do you think he got his "financial issues" part from?

9 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Who's to say we were even paying Grayson anyway? 🤷‍♂️

Every loan from down south  will have a cost involved wether that be a % if wages covered or the cost of putting a player up somewhere for 6/12 months. 

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

Every loan from down south  will have a cost involved wether that be a % if wages covered or the cost of putting a player up somewhere for 6/12 months. 

I'm sure our loan deal with Arsenal for Alex Kirk was along the lines of we pay a small percentage if he plays and a larger chunk, if not all if he doesn't.  I would imagine he is on a decent salary, but luckily enough he is our best defender so it is a deal that has worked out well.

5 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

You reckon? 

I don't know the answer but in my own mind what benefit would the loanee club get in paying all the outlay, wages and accommodation for sending a player away? A player loaned is almost always with the intention of freeing up some wages to bring someone else in. Unless it is a youth player that they are trying to develop.

No one will be surprised to hear this but George Cran has basically confirmed on twitter that the reports of financial difficulties are bollocks. Reporter making too many assumptions and formulating an answer on that.

ETA - Not that Dundee would tell anyone if they were in financial distress anyway...

Edited by Pens_Dark