All things Dundee FC

45 minutes ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

He played reserve team football until he was 21 and scored regularly enough plus got youth caps for France. Don't think it's a fair comparison anyway because I'm comparing them to what they can offer now, not at 24 years old.

At least we can agree at first team level, up to this point in his career, he hasn’t scored many goals.  Has he got what it takes to progress?  I don’t think so but you clearly see something in him - and you may very well be proved correct.  I guess time will tell.

Regarding Sheridan and Jakubiak I would prefer neither were in the team but if I was pushed to choose between the two I’d go for Jakubiak.

I personally would take Jakubiak any day over Sheridan (and probably Osei too), even with his injury woes. Jakubiak is better than his stats suggest but is just unlucky. Sheridan is utterly finished. Osei never looked much of a striker in the first place, more of a winger-type.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

4 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Nah, can't agree with this Ludo. He has had 1 or 2 decent games this season but for the others, you wouldn't know he was on the pitch.

Disagree.

I thought he was very good on his opening game against Arbroath which everyone agrees on.

I actually thought he was one of the best players in the Hamilton away match as well as the second half at Partick when we turned it round.

Also remember thinking he had a decent game against Ayr in the win at home. His worst game was Arbroath away where he was utterly pathetic and looked like an amateur.

Certainly doesn't deserve the criticism he gets. There's people like Marshall and Legzdins who've been sub par for years, but it's typical Dundee fans.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Disagree.

I thought he was very good on his opening game against Arbroath which everyone agrees on.

I actually thought he was one of the best players in the Hamilton away match as well as the second half at Partick when we turned it round.

Also remember thinking he had a decent game against Ayr in the win at home. His worst game was Arbroath away where he was utterly pathetic and looked like an amateur.

Certainly doesn't deserve the criticism he gets. There's people like Marshall and Legzdins who've been sub par for years, but it's typical Dundee fans.

Thank you.

In all fairness I haven't seen or heard of a lot of praise/support for Marshall recently. My opinion on him first changed when we lost to county 5-0 at home last season and he was totally rag-dolled. 

I still maintain Cammy is a better option at LB then him.

I thought there would be more (if any) players lined by the Dees so far. 

Recruitment seems to be a bit of a concern under Bowyer.

I appreciate it is a new market for him but French seems the only regular and Robinson seemed a pler when available. 

Any reason not much happening yet at the top of the road?

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Disagree.

Thank you.

I think this is 'typical' debate for Dundee fans because we always have players that divide opinion. McGowan, Grayson, Kerr to name a few current players. I think this is why we are so yo-yo. We never have enough players that please everyone.

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Disagree.

Thank you.

I pretty much agree with all that. On his day he’s been good, just not often enough. 
There’s not one of our players I’d be gutted to see go, like Cammy Fraser, Tosh McKinlay, Tommy Coyne, Keith Wright, Billy Dodds, Neil McCann, Gary Harkins or Greg Stewart (accept Cammy but I know I’m a bit irrational with him). There’s no special players in our squad, nobody seems irreplaceable. Any one of them could go and I wouldn’t give a shit, the closest being nae neck, he at least tries to be entertaining. 

I would be surprised if Sheridan goes. While he should not be starting games, he does have the ability to come on give defenders problems. 

With 3 forward players having left the squad, we need 1 or 2 quality replacements. I know a lot of people are wanting new defenders and midfielders, but a Peter McDonald style finisher, who puts away some of the chances we create, has to be the priority. 

5 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I pretty much agree with all that. On his day he’s been good, just not often enough. 
There’s not one of our players I’d be gutted to see go, like Cammy Fraser, Tosh McKinlay, Tommy Coyne, Keith Wright, Billy Dodds, Neil McCann, Gary Harkins or Greg Stewart (accept Cammy but I know I’m a bit irrational with him). There’s no special players in our squad, nobody seems irreplaceable. Any one of them could go and I wouldn’t give a shit, the closest being nae neck, he at least tries to be entertaining. 

Probably McCowan, and he can't even get a start.

24 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I thought there would be more (if any) players lined by the Dees so far. 

Recruitment seems to be a bit of a concern under Bowyer.

I appreciate it is a new market for him but French seems the only regular and Robinson seemed a pler when available. 

Any reason not much happening yet at the top of the road?

Thank you.

My opinion it’s a combination of realising it’s a harder job to convince players from down South to cross the border and a lack of support from the people at the top. 

Edited by Pens_Dark

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

My opinion it’s a combination of realising it’s a harder job to convince players from down South to cross the border and a lack of support from the boys at the top. 

I guess there will be an element of McPake's squad taking up wages and squad places. So may need a few bodies out the door?

I see McGinn left, anyone else left apart from the recalls of the temporary signings?

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I guess there will be an element of McPake's squad taking up wages and squad places. So may need a few bodies out the door?

I see McGinn left, anyone else left apart from the recalls of the temporary signings?

Thank you.

Definitely an element too. I know we were trying to get at least 3 out of the door before the end of the last window; Byrne, McGinn and another I can't remember off the top of my head. 

I'd be worried if we haven't added anyone in to the squad whilst a couple more departures but I'm trusting that there will actually be signings brought in! If there is an outside chance that we may get Robinson back then I'd be delighted.

In some cases departures are just as important as recruiting, if that’s the focus them fair enough but at least dip into the loan market, got to be someone out their that’s getting little to no game time or a promising youngster that’s just needing a chance to prove his worth?

im going out on a limb and saying no one will come in and that he’s happy enough with his squad till end of season where next season budgets can be addressed.

Bowyer saying we'd agreed a deal with a striker from down South at the weekend. The club and the agent of the striker both thought it was the best deal for the guy but he pulled out at the last second wanting to see if he could get another club down South.

Bowyer on Coulson:

"He’s been with us for a few days. Scott Paterson knows him from his time at Cowdenbeath. He’s a young lad who has come in and trained with us. He has looked OK but that’s where we are at the moment with it. What sometimes happens in January is some clubs who try to help out players get sorted with a new club. Sometimes you get a player given a free transfer in January to get his career going. At this moment, there might be another one coming in on a trial basis. But we are probably looking for a more permanent fixture if I’m being brutally honest.”

Basically, Coulson is just here as a favour and being looked at for the development team but nothing major in it.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bowyer on Coulson:

"He’s been with us for a few days. Scott Paterson knows him from his time at Cowdenbeath. He’s a young lad who has come in and trained with us. He has looked OK but that’s where we are at the moment with it. What sometimes happens in January is some clubs who try to help out players get sorted with a new club. Sometimes you get a player given a free transfer in January to get his career going. At this moment, there might be another one coming in on a trial basis. But we are probably looking for a more permanent fixture if I’m being brutally honest.”

Basically, Coulson is just here as a favour and being looked at for the development team but nothing major in it.

Not a particular surprise about Coulson. The lad is pretty much untested at this level and didn't really get a sniff in a team where Aiden Connolly is the only winger who has had consistent game time.  Coulson needs first time games and if he's not getting them with us there's pretty much no chance he's moving upwards to get them. I'd suspect he'll find a league 2 or lowland league team who'll give him a deal. 

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bowyer saying we'd agreed a deal with a striker from down South at the weekend. The club and the agent of the striker both thought it was the best deal for the guy but he pulled out at the last second wanting to see if he could get another club down South.