All things Dundee FC

I think it might well be the end of January before we see anything of substance happen. It was clear in the summer we were having to try and trim a bloated squad, which we didn't really manage to do, so I think we need more than just McGinn out the door to free up wages, plus other sides that we will be looking to loan players from or pick up after release will currently be pursuing their own targets so a lot of those players won't actually become available until the last part of the window in any case.

We need to bear in mind the market we operate in now. We're not a club that is going to go spending significant fees on players in a January window, so we're really at the mercy of other clubs taking care of their own business beforehand, and probably getting one or two more out of the door ourselves in the meantime.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Not sure where the lack of funding is coming from. From the outside we look like we’re easily the team with the biggest budget in the league. The problem lies with the shite the previous manager signed and has our finances tied up in. 

Come the end of January if there is little activity through the IN door at Dens then I will be a bit peeved that the Rangers cup game and the Cummings World Cup money hasn’t been reinvested into the 1st team, not on what has been invested so far this season. Sensible hat on…they’ve covered enough losses over their time here to feel like additional money like mentioned above goes into their hipper. 

Who in their right mind would give Chapman and McGinn the rumoured 5k between them in wages this time last year. That investment could’ve and should’ve made a huge difference 12 months ago if used properly. Doubt even many of us on here would’ve signed those 2 if you’d saw them play this time last year. McPake said on Twitter to a Dundee fan that he’d saw Chapman play, beggars belief he then signed him.

Edited by Yenitit

24 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Not sure where the lack of funding is coming from. From the outside we look like we’re easily the team with the biggest budget in the league. The problem lies with the shite the previous manager signed and has our finances tied up in. 

Come the end of January if there is little activity through the IN door at Dens then I will be a bit peeved that the Rangers cup game and the Cummings World Cup money hasn’t been reinvested into the 1st team, not on what has been invested so far this season. Sensible hat on…they’ve covered enough losses over their time here to feel like additional money like mentioned above goes into their hipper. 

Who in their right mind would give Chapman and McGinn the rumoured 5k between them in wages this time last year. That investment could’ve and should’ve made a huge difference 12 months ago if used properly. Doubt even many of us on here would’ve signed those 2 if you’d saw them play this time last year. McPake said on Twitter to a Dundee fan that he’d saw Chapman play, beggars belief he then signed him.

It all comes back to Nelms though - managers will chap the Chief Exec's door all the time, he needs to know when to say 'f**k off son'.

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

Only real justification I can see for that is they might have felt that if overpaying a couple of players kept us in the Premiership then that was a gamble worth taking. It failed, so they're not willing to do the exact same thing this January in order to gamble on getting back up there. Irrespective of what any fan thinks of McPake and the players he signed, at that particular point in time he was the manager that Nelms had appointed, so it's reasonable for Nelms to take the view that the manager knows best and back him to sign the players he says he needs. Given that faith wasn't repaid, then I can see why they will be reluctant to do the same thing all over again even though it's with a different manager.

TBH, I know I've said plenty of times on here that it galls me a bit that Dundee FC appear to be one of the teams that is pathologically incapable of living within it's own means, so as much as a lack of signings is frustrating in terms of what it might mean for results on the pitch, there's a part of me that would actually respect some leadership at the club deciding that the continual cycle of huge losses and underwriting a playing budget that the club can't support off it's own back needs to be brought to an end. 

I doubt that the yanks thought for one moment that 9 years on from appointing Paul Hartley the club would be in pretty much an identical league position to where they were at that point. There was a lot made about their plan for us becoming a self-sustaining club. Clearly it hasn't gone as intended on the pitch and that no doubt has consequences for the progress elsewhere, but I don't think it changes the ultimate intent of turning a continual loss-making venture into one that pays for itself, it's just a question of exactly when that becomes reality and what level the club stabilises at. Even if I had Keyes' level of wealth, and my life-long affinity for the club, I wouldn't just indefinitely swallow the losses either, not because I couldn't afford it or because I don't care to, but because it doesn't actually benefit the club long-term. As soon as I'm gone there's no guarantee there's going to be anyone else around to pick up the slack. It's kinda like the commitment parents make when having kids. Sure, you expect to have to parent them for a while, but not still housing, feeding, clothing, and wiping their arse for them when they are middle-aged.

7 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

For what it's worth, and if only to break the idea that nothing is happening:

The irons referring to POTENTIAL BUYERS BECAUSE THE AMERICANS HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF US AND HATE SCOTLAND!

Spoiler

For the avoidance of doubt this is a joke.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Only real justification I can see for that is they might have felt that if overpaying a couple of players kept us in the Premiership then that was a gamble worth taking. It failed, so they're not willing to do the exact same thing this January in order to gamble on getting back up there. Irrespective of what any fan thinks of McPake and the players he signed, at that particular point in time he was the manager that Nelms had appointed, so it's reasonable for Nelms to take the view that the manager knows best and back him to sign the players he says he needs. Given that faith wasn't repaid, then I can see why they will be reluctant to do the same thing all over again even though it's with a different manager.

TBH, I know I've said plenty of times on here that it galls me a bit that Dundee FC appear to be one of the teams that is pathologically incapable of living within it's own means, so as much as a lack of signings is frustrating in terms of what it might mean for results on the pitch, there's a part of me that would actually respect some leadership at the club deciding that the continual cycle of huge losses and underwriting a playing budget that the club can't support off it's own back needs to be brought to an end. 

I doubt that the yanks thought for one moment that 9 years on from appointing Paul Hartley the club would be in pretty much an identical league position to where they were at that point. There was a lot made about their plan for us becoming a self-sustaining club. Clearly it hasn't gone as intended on the pitch and that no doubt has consequences for the progress elsewhere, but I don't think it changes the ultimate intent of turning a continual loss-making venture into one that pays for itself, it's just a question of exactly when that becomes reality and what level the club stabilises at. Even if I had Keyes' level of wealth, and my life-long affinity for the club, I wouldn't just indefinitely swallow the losses either, not because I couldn't afford it or because I don't care to, but because it doesn't actually benefit the club long-term. As soon as I'm gone there's no guarantee there's going to be anyone else around to pick up the slack. It's kinda like the commitment parents make when having kids. Sure, you expect to have to parent them for a while, but not still housing, feeding, clothing, and wiping their arse for them when they are middle-aged.

Brilliant post. I was having a pop at McPake rather than the owners. 

I’m still not totally convinced by Bowyer (1st half ineptitude to regular) but early signs are he’s a half decent manager compared to the previous 3 incumbents.  The problem appears to be he isn’t being backed like the previous 3 possibly because of their errors. 

@Yenitit

Yeah, I'm in no way contending that McPake didn't waste the funds that were made available. Some of the signings over the past couple of years have been questionable to say the least. What the f**k were they thinking even offering Griffiths a deal? Absolute madness, but then you have to assume that most of the impetus and input with regard to transfer and signing targets comes from the manager, so it's correct and proper that executive staff defer to coaching staff in that particular area, so when we sign duds like Chapman and McGinn the bulk of the blame should lie with the coaching staff that wanted these players. There is a bit of a long running theme at Dens though of Nelms seemingly being happy to sanction the signing of complete turnips and back known mediocre managers to the hilt, so I totally get the frustration that he's apparently unable or unwilling to do the same for Bowyer. It is possible though that they have just decided enough is enough, and I don't think they could be blamed after watching McCann, McIntyre, and McPake achieve bugger all despite the backing.

The real impetus for getting promoted this year is that there's no real stand-out team in the Championship like there perhaps has been for most of the past while. No Killie, no Hearts, no Hibs, no United, so staying here means it's more likely that we'll encounter one of those sooner rather than later. However... where we are right now is that we're pretty much still the exact same squad that got it's arse felt in the Premiership last season, minus Charlie Adam, so I'm honestly not 100% convinced that squeaking this league by a point over Queens Park or Ayr and going up in a totally unready state would be an entirely positive thing. I'd be more confident with a couple of new faces in before the end of the month and then a bit more added to the squad in the summer, but as things stand I reckon we'd just get battered every weekend and Bowyer would likely be punted a year from now whether it's actually his fault or no.

52 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ollie Crankshaw has joined Motherwell on loan.

Quite surprised at that, have seen him twice recently for Stockport and felt he struggled in League 2, the odd flash of skill but easily brushed off the ball.