All things Dundee FC

Just now, Fifespud said:

Akinyemi looks the real deal but these things can turn out to be a flash in the pan. 
I think we’re going to win this league at a canter anyway. 
I agree - get Robinson signed. 

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay Akinyemi. He's currently the best player in the league on form. Just that if I thought we had 250k to spend and it was a case of one or the other for that money, it'd be Robinson every time for me.

13 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay Akinyemi. He's currently the best player in the league on form. Just that if I thought we had 250k to spend and it was a case of one or the other for that money, it'd be Robinson every time for me.

I agree with this. I'd be taking Robinson every day of the week if we had a certain budget to spend. 

Often with players who have multiple clubs they finally find one where everything clicks and it just feels right. He's been great for Ayr so far but it may be totally situational. Robinson will absolutely be playing in the English Championship at one point as far as I'm concerned; his technical ability and strength is way above this level and we would be doing well to sign him permanently. 

41 minutes ago, thedees said:

I’ve not posted in here for years but anyone else abit worried that it’s getting closed to January and a number of players are out of contact in the summer meaning they can sign pre contracts with other clubs. 

Welcome back. Who are you worried about going? Championship has always been a bit revolving door for every club.

Stability (if you can even call it that) isn't guaranteed either in the top flight with most players eyeing up a move down south for the cash.

Partick ended up on the wrong side of a pre contract with Rudden and we took advantage of that, it will undoubtedly happen to us too.

45 minutes ago, thedees said:

I’ve not posted in here for years but anyone else abit worried that it’s getting closed to January and a number of players are out of contact in the summer meaning they can sign pre contracts with other clubs. 

No concerns whatsoever on that score imho, other than for some of the youngsters.

The vast majority out of contract, in reality require to improve their performances considerably in the second half of the season to have any chance of remaining at Dens Park beyond the Summer.

Harsh maybe, however very understanding and fair if we're being realistic.

Regards 

46 minutes ago, thedees said:

To be honest we’ve had a pretty stable core of players for a few years. Of course you can point to this guy or another who has come and gone but for me it’s not a squad they’ll keep us up should we secure promotion- last season is the proof.  We need a big renewal of players if we go up, so I’m open minded about losing guys on pre contracts. 

1 hour ago, thedees said:

Welcome back.  I want to keep Mulligan, Cameron, Robertson, Anderson and possibly Sharp. Not really too fussed about the rest tbh. 

Williamson has started to come onto a game. Wouldn’t mind us trying to get him from Rangers. 

The only players I'd really be unhappy to see go this January that possibly could are the young lads, McMullan and Robinson back to Wimbledon.

The others I'm certain would stay (your McGhees and such) or I'm not bothered in the slightest if they leave, especially if we're planning on strengthening this window which I know we are (though if it's players like Charlie Gilmour we're looking to strengthen with then I might not be so confident).

1 hour ago, thedees said:

I really thought mcginn would have been a big player this season but he’s definitely not the same player that was at Aberdeen a few seasons ago. Waste of a wage. 

I do find it interesting since Bowyer was starting him early on, and I really don't think his absence has anything to do with a lack of ability. Bowyer wanted him to move on to free up wages, McGinn was like "nah I'll stay and take the money, cheers", and now he just has to play reserve games until he's released.

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I do find it interesting since Bowyer was starting him early on, and I really don't think his absence has anything to do with a lack of ability. Bowyer wanted him to move on to free up wages, McGinn was like "nah I'll stay and take the money, cheers", and now he just has to play reserve games until he's released.

It's a sickner because he has done nothing wrong. He signed the same contract the club did. I think the only way it shows badly on him is he is running down his career clock instead of making the most of it but again, that is his perogitive.

3 hours ago, Crawford said:

It's a sickner because he has done nothing wrong. He signed the same contract the club did. I think the only way it shows badly on him is he is running down his career clock instead of making the most of it but again, that is his perogitive.

Too many half arsed performances. IMO.

4 hours ago, Crawford said:

I 100% don’t blame McGinn for staying.  McPake convinced Nelms that McGinn was the man he needed.  Nelms gave McGinn a contract that is presumably simply too good to walk away from for a man of McGinn’s now limited ability.  

At least we can all say McPake’s legacy lives on at Dens.

By the sounds of an interview recently by Bowyer he took aim at Mcginn. He said people who find themselves out of the team and react the wrong way by sulking/taking the hump won't find themselves back in. 

He praised the likes of McCowan, Byrne and Robertson's attitude by almost fighting their way back in and giving him a good headache. Mcginn chucked it from an early stage by the looks of it and is happy to take a wage whilst playing with the youth team. Get rid.

McGinn was absolutely shite first game of the season against Partick and rightly hooked. Bowyer was going mental at him for standing and watching instead of closing down a defender, at which point McGinn “broke” into a slow jog before back to walking when the ball was cleared. He repeated that till he was subbed.

19 hours ago, Chateau Lafite said:

last season is the proof.  We need a big renewal of players if we go up, so I’m open minded about losing guys on pre contracts. 

But is the season before proof? Couldn't win without Charlie then. The biggest factor is the manager, I suspect Bowyer would have kept us up so quite a few of these players, that can now put together the kind of run that we haven't seen in a long, long time, shouldn't be so discounted. We could also encounter the issue of players downing tools if they don't get say a promotion based contract. That said I agree that there are a number of players that shouldn't even be squad players next year (Grayson, McGinn, Marshall, Sheridan, Osei, Jakubiak, McGowan?). Plenty freed up budget there to work with, considering we may lose Williamson and Robinson too, without losing all continuity. As long as they're not expecting silly money...