All things Dundee FC

They're a really solid team this season but there is no point being defeatist about anyone out-with the ugly sisters. Mon the dee's.
As an aside I'm glad Finn is getting a bit of praise on here - he is a technically gifted midfielder that, as I said earlier, he needs a consistent run in the team before anyone can make proper judgement.

It’s a bit of a mystery. He looks very composed, aware, technical etc but no manager has fancied him. I’d love to see him getting a chance.

12 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Their history involves going bust and buying over Clydebank FC and renaming themselves.

Indeed, if I remember correctly they had to re-emerge as Airdrie United, they were not allowed to be named Airdrieonians at that time.

No such obstacles from the SFA when one half of the nauseous bigoted Glasgow carbuncles ceased to exist years later in 2012.

Regards.

Delighted for Cumdog and the Aussies, what a week for them. Doubt he'll get any more playing time but he's already seen more WC success than any Scotland squad ever has 😂

Screenshot_2022-11-30-18-01-32-936_com.opera.browser.thumb.jpg.fb82840d2fad43af8460c2d8d0697bbb.jpg

Plus another £15,000 doesn't hurt 👀 With Argentina faltering in Group C too I wouldn't put it past them beating Poland/Saudi Arabia to get to the QFs!

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

1 hour ago, bennett said:

It's always the players that you'd least suspect.

Griffiths and Gowser getting yellow cards against Hearts shocker!

Non story imo.

Even if the police don't take it further by bringing criminal charges, McGowan's going to be in massive trouble when the SFA get hold of it. In the most recent spate of charges where they found players betting on football they were handing out 8 match suspensions. It's going to be a longer suspension for players betting on games involving their own team, and considerably longer again for spot fixing.

If there's evidence of it then a disciplinary ruling would end McGowan's season at the very least, but obviously if a police investigation is ongoing nothing is going to happen imminently.

3 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Wasn't that first reported 1 year ago?

Its taken that long to question them FFS?

Christmas Eve last year.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/dundee-v-hearts-match-under-investigation-over-suspicious-betting-activity-3506592

Not exactly the brains of Britain are they. I think people don’t understand how easy it is for bookmakers to discover irregular betting patterns. I worked for a company that worked with bookies, and the machine learning models can detect statistical irregularities automatically. A market like bookings for Dundee is always going to flag when a large amount of money goes on it. 

It’s probably taken this long as they gather evidence, but I’d imagine it’s pretty solid if they’ve been arrested now. Maybe points to why Gowser has been out of the team recently?

5 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

Not exactly the brains of Britain are they. I think people don’t understand how easy it is for bookmakers to discover irregular betting patterns. I worked for a company that worked with bookies, and the machine learning models can detect statistical irregularities automatically. A market like bookings for Dundee is always going to flag when a large amount of money goes on it. 

It’s probably taken this long as they gather evidence, but I’d imagine it’s pretty solid if they’ve been arrested now. Maybe points to why Gowser has been out of the team recently?

How often is criminal action brought forward by the irregularities?

I have literally no idea how it works but, say, when a ton of money is ploughed in to a certain manager getting a job and the market is suspended is this then classed as irregular?

I suppose my point is Paul Mcgowan and Leigh Griffiths getting booked against hearts in a single game isn't exactly a stretch. It must have been an absolute ton of money put in to these for it to get flagged.

Almost certainly why he hasn't been playing because I can't remember him getting a knock. I think the last game he played was against Cove being hooked at half time(?)

47 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

How often is criminal action brought forward by the irregularities?

I have literally no idea how it works but, say, when a ton of money is ploughed in to a certain manager getting a job and the market is suspended is this then classed as irregular?

I suppose my point is Paul Mcgowan and Leigh Griffiths getting booked against hearts in a single game isn't exactly a stretch. It must have been an absolute ton of money put in to these for it to get flagged.

Almost certainly why he hasn't been playing because I can't remember him getting a knock. I think the last game he played was against Cove being hooked at half time(?)

Relatively speaking it doesn't even have to be that much money.

It was over 10 years ago but the bet involved with the Steve Jennings case when he was playing for us (also against Hearts funnily enough) was apparently £500 according to The Guardian's golf correspondent. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/15/motherwell-red-card-bet

Although this is lifted from the Daily Heil further down the line when Jennings was actually arrested (f**k linking to them):

"On the day of the match, someone in Liverpool opened an account with Blue Square to register two £100 bets on a Motherwell player being sent off.

The same individual attempted to make further big bets but was halted by the company's online security filter."

That fixture was 14th December 2010, the story in the Guardian ran the next day on the 15th.

Jennings was arrested 6th October 2011 and cleared 20th April 2012.

It feels like it's easy for bookies to flag "suspicious patterns" but I'd imagine it's a much higher bar to clear to prove any sort of conspiracy.

Edited by capt_oats

55 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

I’m not sure this’ll be the reason tbh. It would be remiss of the Polis to have given them any sort of warning before turning up to their houses to look for evidence. 
Although I’m really not sure what they expected to find. It’ll be between the thought in their head and an app on their phone you'd have thought. 
Turning up to Griffiths’ house with several vans lining the street just sounds like a cock swinging exercise. 

Eta: Griffiths, I couldn’t care less about, but if this is how Gowzer’s time at the club ends, without a testimonial I’ll be very sad indeed. 

Edited by RawB93

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Relatively speaking it doesn't even have to be that much money.

It was over 10 years ago but the bet involved with the Steve Jennings case when he was playing for us (also against Hearts funnily enough) was apparently £500 according to The Guardian's golf correspondent. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/15/motherwell-red-card-bet

Although this is lifted from the Daily Heil further down the line when Jennings was actually arrested (f**k linking to them):

That fixture was 14th December 2010, the story in the Guardian ran the next day on the 15th.

Jennings was arrested 6th October 2011 and cleared 20th April 2012.

It feels like it's easy for the bookies to flag "suspicious patterns" but I'd imagine it's a much higher bar to clear to prove any sort of conspiracy.

I didn't know about the Jennings case at all, cheers for that. Although arrested and cleared was he banned by the SFA?

Literally any random punter with a problem could find a random match and bet a significant amount of money on any market...

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

I didn't know about the Jennings case at all, cheers for that. Although arrested and cleared was he banned by the SFA?

Literally any random punter with a problem could find a random match and bet a significant amount of money on any market...

In Jennings case it was Wayne Rooney's Da' and uncle.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/oct/06/motherwell-steve-jennings-arrested-inquiry?CMP=gu_com

Other than the suspension for the red card I don't remember him being subject to any SFA ban.

He was arrested 6th October 2011 and made 37 appearances for us in total that season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steve-jennings/leistungsdaten/spieler/46115/plus/0?saison=2011

In fact here's his playing time from the date of arrest:

1355494763_Screenshot2022-12-02at10_38_53.thumb.png.e63cc3d17c7b03093d4d729f906a272f.png

Fwiw: this was his playing time after the game he was sent off.

Spoiler

418438747_Screenshot2022-12-02at11_47_07.thumb.png.b50d5461fde7ae376a581139c9f3b14e.png

Edited by capt_oats