All things Dundee FC

Considering he's still only 20, if Wimbledon were willing to do business for anything up to 300k it'd be a savvy bit of business by Keyes if he dusted off the chequebook as I reckon he could be a million pound player if he keeps progressing. Plucked 300k out of my arse, but I always go back to Jack Hamilton being a player we forked out 100k a few seasons ago.

40 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Anybody have access to either Bowyer's pre-match interview or the Courier article today where Bowyer talks about the potential of Robinson being recalled by Wimbledon? Was just wanting to know what he said about it in regards to how real a possibility it is.

He said they could recall him but he doesn’t think they will. Or words to that effect. This deal is a good example of why Nelms shouldn’t be writing up contracts for the youths we’re trying to get to sign new deals. 

We were talking earlier in the thread about our last good loanees being the likes of Efrem and Shinnie (can't remember if anyone was mentioned more recently), but I think Robinson can be labelled a huge success already.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We were talking earlier in the thread about our last good loanees being the likes of Efrem and Shinnie (can't remember if anyone was mentioned more recently), but I think Robinson can be labelled a huge success already.

Spurs centre half was class as well, in the short time we saw him.

eta Surprised McPake didn't play him on the wing.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

9 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Pretty much this. Not as simple as saying he has not impressed across three managers as one brought him in to the squad in the first place, the other was trying to keep us in the top flight so had to use more 'experienced players' and Bowyer bombed most of the midfielders currently out of the squad with the intention of bringing in his own.

Anderson and Mulligan have both had plenty of playing time, so if Robertson was really all that I'm sure he'd have had plenty opportunity.  To be honest I didn't really understand the clamour when he was playing in the early McPake games. Yes, he was neat and tidy with the ball and playing 1st team football at 17 is impressive enough in itself, but he didn't offer anything going forward and the game totally passed him by when we didn't have the ball. I don't mean to be unkind, but he looked a bit of a nothing player who offered little in possession and didn't put himself about defensively. Unless he's massively broadened his game and added more dimensions to it, I can completely understand why he's never had another look. Even Anderson has been totally honking for long spells yet he still kept his place in the team, so I you can only assume that the reason Robertson hasn't had a chance is because he is nowhere near the player that exists in some Dundee fans' imaginations.

Surprised not to see Mulligan even on what looks like a diminished Scotland U21 bench, hopefully not an injury or illness issue. The match preview for the game didn't suggest anything adverse for him.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Anderson and Mulligan have both had plenty of playing time, so if Robertson was really all that I'm sure he'd have had plenty opportunity.  To be honest I didn't really understand the clamour when he was playing in the early McPake games. Yes, he was neat and tidy with the ball and playing 1st team football at 17 is impressive enough in itself, but he didn't offer anything going forward and the game totally passed him by when we didn't have the ball. I don't mean to be unkind, but he looked a bit of a nothing player who offered little in possession and didn't put himself about defensively. Unless he's massively broadened his game and added more dimensions to it, I can completely understand why he's never had another look. Even Anderson has been totally honking for long spells yet he still kept his place in the team, so I you can only assume that the reason Robertson hasn't had a chance is because he is nowhere near the player that exists in some Dundee fans' imaginations.

That may all well be true but in my opinion he hasn't been given a run of games to prove to us otherwise. For example, if Grayson was judged purely on his first game for us we would be saying he is a nailed on starter every week, our opinions have changed on him because he has had a run of games that show us otherwise. 

I don't necessarily think it is the crime of the century that Finlay Robertson isn't in the team but given how shite our midfield has been I would like to at least have the opportunity to judge him.

36 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Surprised not to see Mulligan even on what looks like a diminished Scotland U21 bench, hopefully not an injury or illness issue. The match preview for the game didn't suggest anything adverse for him.

I think JM still looks like he needs a rest and a wee spell out of the team, so it might just be that respective managers are seeing the same thing and are limiting the amount of football he's playing.

14 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think JM still looks like he needs a rest and a wee spell out of the team, so it might just be that respective managers are seeing the same thing and are limiting the amount of football he's playing.

This makes no sense, why would they bother calling him up in the first place for one friendly if this was the mindset? I disagree regardless, fully believe Mulligan is worth his starting spot.

8 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

This makes no sense, why would they bother calling him up in the first place for one friendly if this was the mindset? I disagree regardless, fully believe Mulligan is worth his starting spot.

I didn't say he wasn't worth a starting spot, I believe he's showing the signs of being overplayed, which isn't unusual for a player of his age. It's difficult for any player to be at their best in every match across a long period, but even more so with young players they tend to lose their edge and spark as a result of being overplayed, and I think that's what Mulligan is going through right now. It's not that he's horribly off it, he's just not at 100% and I think that's best resolved by using him sparingly. He can be called up purely to still be in and around the squad even thought there's no real intention to play him. It's happened before when the manager wants a player to still be involved without the ball ache of having to explain why he's not playing.

He played at Stranraer in the cup game and was dire. When was the last game you seen him play where he looked decent? might jog my memory. 
Thank you. 

I’ve liked young Fin from the first time I saw him at a pre-season friendly at Brechin. However 3 managers, as others have said, haven’t given him the chance, nor did Hartley at Cove. I’ll be sad to see him go, based on absolutely f**k all, but maybe it’s time for the single to Peterhead.

21 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Anyone able to share the Shaun Byrne interview in the Tele? It's subscriber only unfortunately.

It wasn't earlier, those fuckers changed it. They're never convincing anyone to subscribe in a million years.

Don't have the text in front of me anymore but it was all about the time spent not playing, relationship with Bowyer, appreciating the fans' reaction and personal struggles. Says there's no issues between him and Bowyer, just that he'd been told he was free to leave and he shouldn't expect regular game time if he stays. Was told it was a clean slate after the loan window ended and he just had to work hard to prove he was worth a place in the team. Said he has nothing to complain about as that wouldn't help him prove himself, just got the head down and continued to graft.

As for last week, he got the call from Bowyer to get ready as soon as Grayson had to come off, and the fans' reaction was an incredible boost. He mentioned that recent Saturdays have been difficult when he got home, but the mood was much happier last week, and he hopes he can continue to prove that he's worth playing in the 1st XI.

He also discussed his living situation which prohibits him from making any big moves (he had several offers in the summer, including one from England). His wife is pregnant, they take care of an adopted daughter with autism and a big move would be very difficult (if you follow Shaun on Instagram it's really nice to see how active of a life she has). On top of all that, his grandmother who raised him and his brothers is sadly very ill with cancer. So leaving the area is not at all within Shaun's interests or even possibilities. He notes that football is his place of refuge, and he wishes to get as involved with the club's success again as much as possible.

Tl;dr, Shaun and his family are great folk.

Afternoon all, not able to catch the game as away working but had a question I was hoping someone would be able to answer. 

does anyone know if there’s anywhere in Dundee where you can hire DFC tartan kilts? Hoping to get for myself and groomsmen for my wedding and struggling to find anything online.

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, MarbellaDEE said:

Afternoon all, not able to catch the game as away working but had a question I was hoping someone would be able to answer. 

does anyone know if there’s anywhere in Dundee where you can hire DFC tartan kilts? Hoping to get for myself and groomsmen for my wedding and struggling to find anything online.

Thank you. 

That's the tartan I got married in, very smart and stylish, was a shop in the ferry, don't know if it's still there though.

eta Mrs says it was McCalls, still in business.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

Worrying in the first half today; looked below par. Really didn't help with Sheridan who was utterly eye bleeding. Reminded me of Graham Bayne near the end of his career - fucking awful.

I thought Byrne was utterly rancid in the first half and as I said in the match thread he looked very good last fifteen when the game needed to be shored up with his neat simple play and couple of tackles. He's not the answer for me.

French levels have dropped but he's not playing bad enough to be dropped yet. On the flip side a big well done to Lawlor who's levels have rocketed. I've never had a good word to say about him but what a stunning save today with some good crosses gathered. Keep it going.

Williamson MOTM who also looks better by the week. 

We're one point off.the top with January closing in. That's alot better than many thought after the Cove debacle. Fair play to Bowyer for that, but there's still selection issues. Get it nailed down and a few in Jan and we'll be going up.

If you want a negative it would be Osei who in his short time on the pitch looked like a pub team player.

Time for a rest before a big trip to ICT. More time for Bowyer to get his ideas over and hopefully cup progression inbetween.

Thank you.

Disagree completely about Byrne but the rest is hard to disagree with. The problem 1st half I thought was the forwards got separated from the rest of the team with no one coming short from the forwards to link play. Mulligan, Anderson or Gowser would’ve made a huge difference 1st half. 

Sheridan shouldn’t have started today. 

2 hours ago, MarbellaDEE said:

Thank you. 

49 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

That's the tartan I got married in, very smart and stylish, was a shop in the ferry, don't know if it's still there though.

eta Mrs says it was McCalls, still in business.

First time around in the 1990's I wore the DFC tartan from Lawrence's of Broughty Ferry. They were then located in Brook Street across the road from the TSB, however I'm not sure if they're still trading.

Second and to date, very successful marriage in 2010 to Mrs TCM I used McCall's on the corner of Brook St and Gray St in the Ferry. However, I chose an alternative tartan, superstitious, lol.

All the best @MarbellaDEE for the future.

Regards