All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

When Smith scored it was usually a 30 yard screamer. One a season was customary.

If only his volley against Rangers was an inch or two lower.

Lower?! I thought I remember it hitting the post!

Wouldn't disagree. Must admit I do have a wee bit of a weakness when it comes to McGhee. Probably my favourite player but couldn't argue against him being culled.
Agree about French. To continue a pile on of Kerr though, I think French has the potential to be a really good RB for us though.

I quite like French too but I feel we are looking at him through the ‘new guy’ lens.

42 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I quite like French too but I feel we are looking at him through the ‘new guy’ lens.

Seeing as he's a new addition I don't know what other lens we should be focusing onto him!

Hes player of the year so far despite a defensive error in the first half at Firhill. His pace gave an outlet as a wingback in the second half and contributed towards our improved performance. The simple ball in  behind the defence for Andersons cutback for the third would've been outwith Kerrs capability who would've shanked it into the box or went side ways.

Reading through post after post on Kerr has rendered me a slavering mess so I'm not going to mention him for the foreseeable. It doesn't make a difference anyway as the last decade has shown.

Roll on the Raith.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

When Smith scored it was usually a 30 yard screamer. One a season was customary.

If only his volley against Rangers was an inch or two lower.

Will never forget his screamer away to Partick.. im sure it was late in the match and it was the winner.. I ended up a few rows and seats away from where I was before the ball hit the net 😂

Last post from me on it (apologies for the third post in a row) but I view Cammy as a bottom end of the Championship RB that is elevated on occasion due to sheer determination and passion for the club.
I view and viewed Smith as a mid-tier top flight player (in any of the 3 positions he played) but especially so at CDM. I'd have him in a Dundee team before you combined the talents of Byrne AND Kerr personally.
Either way, if we get promoted, the whole back line bar French and possibly McGhee (at CH only) should be getting punted as none are at the required standard and I think that's more important than any comparisons to former players.
As a right back Smith wasn't great - when he was turned into a CDM he was amongst the best (according to Carling OPTA).

Kerr has been tried out in the same role and has been found wanting.

Where I do agree with the comparison is that both always gave/give 100% whenever they played/play.

Overall, Smith had more talent - just not as a fullback.

Seeing as he's a new addition I don't know what other lens we should be focusing onto him!
Hes player of the year so far despite a defensive error in the first half at Firhill. His pace gave an outlet as a wingback in the second half and contributed towards our improved performance. The simple ball in  behind the defence for Andersons cutback for the third would've been outwith Kerrs capability who would've shanked it into the box or went side ways.
Reading through post after post on Kerr has rendered me a slavering mess so I'm not going to mention him for the foreseeable. It doesn't make a difference anyway as the last decade has shown.
Roll on the Raith.
Thank you.

IMO he gets cut more slack than those who have been at the club longer and that folk are pissed off with.

Thankfully Cammy was on hand to score yet another goal and help cover up French’s 2 mistakes. Phew.