All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Surprised there's not been one mention of Kerrs defending for Queens second goal but that's Dundee fans all over. 

I let all my anger about it out in a group chat on Friday night. It was horrific losing his man like that.

2 minutes ago, K.T said:

I let all my anger about it out in a group chat on Friday night. It was horrific losing his man like that.

Ashcroft was fucking awful too. There's absolutely no requirement as a CH to be touch tight nearly on the corner of your own 18 yard box against a player who is facing away from goal. 

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There's only so far you can take the "it's McPake's fault" excuse.

Bowyer's signed 5 players and ultimately he is the person picking the team and deciding the tactics. You have to question after 13 games why he still doesn't seem to have a clear first choice eleven and why he persists with the same players in certain positions who week after week are either giving away goals or contributing little to the team. Why are Sweeney, Rudden, Sheridan and Kerr still in this team?

You also have to look at other teams in this league - we have the deepest squad and despite being shite McPake signings some of the players are still better than other teams in the League.

Why is it that other managers manage to get a tune out of lesser players but we don't? That's down to man management and building confidence - something we seem to seriously lack right now.

No - I'm not calling for his head right now - he needs to be given to at least January to see if there is progress - but at the moment there are very few signs that any progress has been made.

That's worrying.

Firstly, it's not an excuse. It's his team.

Last time we were in this division we had Jason Cummings and Charlie Adam in the side and looking at that season we still conceded 3 goals to the likes of Alloa, Dunfermline, QotS, Ayr & of course, shipped 6 to Hearts. That season, in a 27 game league campaign, we failed to take 3 points in 15 of those games. We had the third worst goals conceded record in that division that year. We then got humilated for a season in the top flight.

Why do people think a new manager will suddenly make these players into a side that can scoosh this league? We finished 2 points ahead of Raith in that shortened season. We've pretty much got the same side minus a creative genius in Adam and a natural finisher in Cummings. Boggles my mind how after 13 games people think Bowyer should be working miracles.

You ask:

Why are Sweeney, Rudden, Sheridan and Kerr still in this team?

So you expect us to play Zach Robinson for 90 minutes every single game up top on his own?

But to answer your question more thoroughly, that's 3 players McPake signed.

You have to question after 13 games why he still doesn't seem to have a clear first choice eleven

Is it not because our squad is full of utter shite and he's basically rearranging the deckchairs?

Bowyer's signed 5 players

A loan from Barrow Reserves, a loan from Rangers' youth academy, a loan from AFC Wimbledon's youth academy, a player that wasn't getting a game for Wrexham & a player that didn't have a team 3-4 month into the season. You just have to look at the press conference after the deadline shut - Bowyer looked a defeated man as @Shadow Play pointed out. It's clear he doesn't rate the squad. He even said he wanted about 4 in that week and he had lined them up - we as in Nelms - failed to get them across the line.

You also have to look at other teams in this league - we have the deepest squad and despite being shite McPake signings some of the players are still better than other teams in the League.

Key word being some. I think Paul McMullan, Paul McGowan & Tyler French would probably get into everyone else's starting 11. The rest? Debateable.

I'd argue that Morton have better full backs( Strapp & Grimshaw vs Marshall & Kerr) and that Jack Baird is at least on par if not better than Ashcroft & Sweeney and that's just one example.  Ayr's Akinyemi is better than anything we have up front. They've also got Musonda who I'd say is probably the best defender in the league.  Hell, even QP the other night. I'd at least have Ferrie ahead of Lawlor who started the other night and Murray ahead of our strikers and I think they two are Championship level at best. Arbroath haven't got the best out of him yet, but Scott Allan is better than any of our midfielders, Tam O'Brien is better than any of our CH's and Bobby Linn would stroll into our team even at the age he is.

You're correct when you say we've got the deepest squad, but the best? Lot of our players rely on past glories and the glories are pish at that such as Rudden being second top scorer at Christmas for Partick Thistle.

Of course there's major black marks against Bowyer such as his continual deployment of McGhee in CM, but in the grand scheme of things he's got a pretty shite deck of cards to play with.

Another thing - those mocking Bowyer's record.

Gary Bowyer's record in England:

Blackburn - 34.7%WR

Blackpool - 36.5%WR (and a promotion)

Bradford - 29.2%WR

Salford - 42.8%WR (including his interim spell)

Compare that to Steve Clarke (taking away his time in the EPL):

Reading - 35.8%

Compare it to Lee Johnson who currently has Hibs 3rd in the top flight:

Oldham - 35%WR

Barnsley - 39.2%WR

Bristol City - 38.7%WR

Sunderland - 51.3%

Compare it to Stephen Robinson who consistently got Motherwell into Europe and currently has St Mirren in the top 6:

Oldham - 21.2%WR

Morecambe - 25%WR

Practically indistinguishable. Yet people are using it as a stick to beat Bowyer with? Unreal.

Bowyer might yet prove to be an utter dud and there are some small but nonetheless worrying signs, but the way people are going out to find things to just rubbish him after 13 games with James McPake's squad is a poor show IMO.

Edited by Ludo*1

20 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Surprised there's not been one mention of Kerrs defending for Queens second goal but that's Dundee fans all over. 

Used to laugh when people would hone in on Charlie Adam after poor results whilst Kerr dilly dallied and contributed little in the same matches. The managers seem to have the same footballing intelligence as many of the Dundee fans when it comes to Kerr. Sick to death of it and have been for the last decade.

Thank you.

Kerr is absolutely pish and the fact he has been a regular in our team for years now sums us up.

Kerr is absolutely pish and the fact he has been a regular in our team for years now sums us up.

Cammy is one of those players who will leave us, sign for the likes of St Johnstone, make 300 appearances and retire as a club legend. He’s barely put a foot wrong this season and is a contender for POTS thus far. He lost his man on Friday and the witch-hunt begins. I once saw one of his, supposedly better, replacements make 2 far worse mistakes than this one, in a 5 minute spell. There are far bigger problems in our team.

1) goalkeeper - young Sharp has potential but we don’t have a half decent first choice keeper.
2) left back - Marshall is so so going forwards but is poor at defending. We lose most goals down his side. He needs an upgrade or at the very least competition.
3) centre half - we could do with an experienced, no nonsense CH who knows what he’s doing, knows how to organise others. A Berra type.
4) midfield - a decent manager should be able to get a very decent tune out of our resources in this area. The fact the incumbent isn’t is a big concern.
4) striker - Robinson is young and raw, I like him but it’s too much to ask him to carry the load. Rudden is a fucking appalling footballer, truly dreadful. Most have already made up their minds on Gillian and Jakubiak, I think they could contribute over the season. On a positive I’ve been very impressed Osei from the little I’ve seen. This guys looks a player.
To sum up the priorities are -
1) no nonsense, experienced CH. Not flash, doesn’t make mistakes.
2) decent left back, defends resolutely and is not totally one paced going forward
3) goalkeeper - someone who can kick, make saves, and organise the rabble in front of him.

18 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I reckon Byrne will get another chance tbh.

I can't see how he comes back from this. I think Bowyer has pretty much made his mind up on the situation. I don't massively rate Byrne anymore but surely he is better placed to be in that midfield than the likes of Mcghee and Grayson.

I'm not posting much on here as I'm so nonplussed by everything Dundee at the moment. Its incredibly predictable. Unbelievably though...we are still only 5 points off top place with every single team continuing to drop points. 

This season is becoming a theme of 'missed opportunities' - I would love for us to see that right over the next three games but in reality we will most likely lose one, draw one and win one...so the cycle continues. 

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

He lost his man on Friday and the witch-hunt begins. 

He was also, embarrassingly, at fault for their first goal. What exactly was he trying to do there?

It must be some size witch hunt considering folk have been calling fir him to be binned pre Hartley.

I'm not even taking the piss when i say Sheridan should be starting at the weekend. 

In his cameo on Friday night he actually linked up well with Osei and we looked dangerous late on (with the help of McCowan who replaced the poor Cameron ). Won headers and held the ball up relatively well compared to Rudden and also showed a bit of technical ability when he curled the ball through to Osei who should've scored.

Robinson would still start for me if fit but at least we know Osei can come on and give something different. My starting 11 would be:

Legzdins

French Ashcroft McGhee Marshall

McMullen Mulligan Grayson McCowan

Robinson

Sheridan

Thank you. 

37 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

I'm not even taking the piss when i say Sheridan should be starting at the weekend. 

In his cameo on Friday night he actually linked up well with Osei and we looked dangerous late on (with the help of McCowan who replaced the poor Cameron ). Won headers and held the ball up relatively well compared to Rudden and also showed a bit of technical ability when he curled the ball through to Osei who should've scored.

Robinson would still start for me if fit but at least we know Osei can come on and give something different. My starting 11 would be:

Legzdins

Robinson

Sheridan

Thank you. 

Yeah, Rudden needs to be on the bench, bring him on with ten minutes to go if we're desperate for a goal, that's his limit really. Would like to see Osei on from the start, give Robinson a rest, would prefer McGowan for Grayson, anybody know what's the story there with Gowser, miss the raging and the pirouetting.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

He was also, embarrassingly, at fault for their first goal. What exactly was he trying to do there?
It must be some size witch hunt considering folk have been calling fir him to be binned pre Hartley.

He’s had poorer spells but mostly folk have been wrong. Herd mentality. The same people who wanted rid of Paul McGinn and Kevin Holt. He’s also had to put up with absolutely shite managers, goalkeepers and centre halfs.
It’s completely undeniable he’s has been one of our most consistent performers this season, not that that’s saying much with the footballing tombola that’s going on.

Legzdins
Robinson
Sheridan
Thank you. 

When I’ve suggested that Sheridan had a part to play this year I’ve been ridiculed. He might well be finished after the injury, but he has been at a level to do a decent job for us, if he can get reasonably fit.

Have a look again. Ashcroft hopelessly commits himself leaving a gaping hole. The guy is on Cammy’s weak side, Sweeney completely misses a tackle, the keeper could have come and smothered it, but it’s all Cammy’s fault. The second goal is mostly McMullen’s fault, he doesn’t track his man for the return ball. Where were the centre halves or defensive mids.
Ferrie lobbed from 40 yards. Not his fault but the lads just too small.

16 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Have a look again. Ashcroft hopelessly commits himself leaving a gaping hole. The guy is on Cammy’s weak side, Sweeney completely misses a tackle, the keeper could have come and smothered it, but it’s all Cammy’s fault. The second goal is mostly McMullen’s fault, he doesn’t track his man for the return ball. Where were the centre halves or defensive mids.
Ferrie lobbed from 40 yards. Not his fault but the lads just too small.

Ashcroft really should’ve be across covering Cammy when the guy cuts inside at the 2nd. 

Keep French and bin the rest including the keepers. Keep a couple as back ups. Shite defensively for far to long now. 

Edited by Yenitit