All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

The manager’s pish, again. 

Harsh.

Think the reason he tinkers so much is that he pretty much doesn't rate anyone in the squad bar his own signings and one or two others.

5 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Just do not see the point of Sevco boy. Dire. Bowyer seems to love him for some strange reason.

I've defended him in the past and totally got the reason for signing him. A cheap Byrne replacement, recommended as one of the best talents by Billy Kirkwood at Rangers and has plenty of first team experience at this level. Normally don't think he's poor enough to be singled out in our midfield but he was absolutely fucking abject today.

The most galling issue is why McGowan remained collecting splinters on his arse for 90 instead.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Harsh.

Think the reason he tinkers so much is that he pretty much doesn't rate anyone in the squad bar his own signings and one or two others.

Imo, only one signing of his gets pass marks, French. 

Grayson, be as well play with 10 men as he contributes very little.

Williamson, always picks the wrong option and drifts in and out of the game too often.

Robinson, still on the fence with him. Looks half arsed unless the ball is played right to him.

Osei, not seen enough of him.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Harsh.

No excuse whatsoever for that line up and tactics today. Again may I add. 

6 defenders start plus the only winger playing is playing on the wrong side. There’s enough subbies allowed these days to take chances on players. 

Anderson came on at Ibrox and had a positive effect on the game, should’ve started, no minutes. Cameron, wtf did he do to get dropped,no minutes. Gowser not getting on. Robinson hooked for Rudden, holy f**k. Marshall left midfield with 4 better options on the bench. 

Dreadful stuff from the manager b 

Edited by Yenitit

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Imo, only one signing of his gets pass marks, French. 

Grayson, be as well play with 10 men as he contributes very little.

Williamson, always picks the wrong option and drifts in and out of the game too often.

Robinson, still on the fence with him. Looks half arsed unless the ball is played right to him.

Osei, not seen enough of him.

I think Robinson and French are class acts and both improve our starting 11.

Grayson is decent for a loan deal but he's just a steady eddie type. Doesn't add a great deal.

Williamson is proving to be the flop of the 4.

Not a bad strike rate from 1 permanent signing and 3 loans to be fair!

2 minutes ago, K.T said:

Pretty sure we should’ve had a penalty today but there were two guys in the Bobby Cox trying to beat the shit out of each other at the time so my attention was not quite on the pitch lol 

There was a few incidents in The Derry today too. Didn't even realise Mulligan had been sent off, the stewards got a right mouthful after trying to throw out a wee boy and his mother for no reason at all, needless to say, they didn't get thrown out.

9 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

No excuse whatsoever for that line up and tactics today. Again may I add. 

Think the tactics were meant to be the same as the second half against Ayr.

Just too many players had off days.

Only questionable choices in the line-up, for me, was Marshall at LW and Williamson. But with options limited when it came to wide options, I thought it was worth a punt to have Marshall out wide and to be fair to him, he was far from a disgrace! Williamson was rotten right enough.

ETA:

Just noticed you edited your post. Agree about McGowan and Cameron.

For me, Mulligan just isn't cutting it just now (clear he has the ability but not showing it) and his place deserves to go to one of Cameron or McGowan.

Edited by Ludo*1

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Grayson is decent for a loan deal but he's just a steady eddie type. Doesn't add a great deal.

Robinson improves our starting 11 because he only has to be better than Sheridan or Rudden. Not difficult tbh.

4 minutes ago, K.T said:

Pretty sure we should’ve had a penalty today but there were two guys in the Bobby Cox trying to beat the shit out of each other at the time so my attention was not quite on the pitch lol 

I take it the fight was the highlight of the game!

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Are you not worried about his starting 11, subs during the game, picking loan players over the benefit of our own young players who are every bit as good or better than the loans and marginalising players. The treatment of Byrne isn’t right imo. 

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Robinson improves our starting 11 because he only has to be better than Sheridan or Rudden. Not difficult tbh.

But crucially, he is better than them and good at holding the ball up. I'd be signing him permanently if we could.

He's better than anything we've had up top for a good couple of seasons IMO.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Think the tactics were meant to be the same as the second half against Ayr.

Just too many players had off days.

Only questionable choices in the line-up, for me, was Marshall at LW and Williamson. But with options limited when it came to wide options, I thought it was worth a punt to have Marshall out wide and to be fair to him, he was far from a disgrace! Williamson was rotten right enough.

ETA:

Just noticed you edited your post. Agree about McGowan and Cameron.

For me, Mulligan just isn't cutting it just now (clear he has the ability but not showing it) and his place deserves to go to one of Cameron 

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

But crucially, he is better than them and good at holding the ball up. I'd be signing him permanently if we could.

He's better than anything we've had up top for a good couple of seasons IMO.

Nah, can't get on board with this Ludo.

Robinson being good at holding the ball up is a myth imo. He only ever makes an attempt to get the ball if it is right at him.

Better than Cummings? 

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

I take it the fight was the highlight of the game!

Are you not worried about his starting 11, subs during the game, picking loan players over the benefit of our own young players who are every bit as good or better than the loans and marginalising players. The treatment of Byrne isn’t right imo. 

What treatment of Byrne?

He tried to get Byrne off the wage budget but couldn't. Byrne was then injured and after that had been getting a spot on the bench before being part of the group that got ill. 

I'm not particularly worried and if honest, expected this type of season since we still have a McPake 11.

Am I worried about Robinson getting a game ahead of Rudden? No.

Am I worried about Williamson getting a game ahead of Robertson or Anderson? Not really. They're all much of a muchness.

I am worried about Cameron playing well then struggling to get a sniff in the team though and McGowan being dropped like a stone.

Bowyer is definitely a flawed manager. Far too cautious for a team that needs to be going all out but think it's clear he doesn't rate many in the squad at all. With time, I reckon he could build us into a decent outfit. No point getting overly upset when it's still McPake's squad he's got and I think that in itself explains why he feels the need to tinker.

Nah, can't get on board with this Ludo.

Robinson being good at holding the ball up is a myth imo. He only ever makes an attempt to get the ball if it is right at him.

Better than Cummings? 

As a goalscorer, obviously not. As a team player that contributes to the side, I'd have had Robinson in last season's team before Cummings in terms of the style we went with.

Ironically, I reckon they'd be a perfect partnership.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

As a goalscorer, obviously not. As a team player that contributes to the side, I'd have had Robinson in last season's team before Cummings in terms of the style we went with.

Ironically, I reckon they'd be a perfect partnership.

But that's the issue, we need a goal scoring striker. We don't have one, I'm not even sure what type of striker Robinson is meant to be. He doesn't chase anything down, he doesn't set anything up, he just waits. I hope there's more to come from him, but I'm struggling to see what he offers.

Edited by johnnydun

But that's the issue, we need a goal scoring striker. We don't have one, I'm not even sure what type of striker Robinson is meant to be. He doesn't chase anything down, he doesn't set anything up, he just waits. I hope there's more to come from him, but I'm struggling to see what he offers.

Fair enough Johnny. I think Robinson is a top talent personally but do completely agree we need a scorer in the side.

Rudden has that in him as he has proven in the past (and in his goals per minute record this season). But he just looks utterly shite so it's hard to get behind him and back him to be that man.

Big January.