All things Dundee FC

10 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm not having it that folk rate Ashcroft above Sweeney and McGhee. They're both poor too, though.

I don't think any of the three are better than the other to be honest. I just thought that Fisher didn't look out of place when he played was more my point.

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I take it he quoted me - yet again - despite being on ignore?

Fucking hell that's desperate.

McGowan has been a class act this season.

Gowser’s starting to edge towards what’s happening with Byrne and McGinn.  

Disappointed with the lack on minutes he’s got on the park recently. Doubt he’s going to get much if we’re playing with just 2 in the middle of midfield. 

Not close to how French had performed this season for me though but each to their own. 

Think French’s best position might be fullback. 

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd agree with all of that.

He's certainly not got the legs like he did a decade ago but continues to lead by example harassing players by pressing (and verbally) all the time. Very rarely loses possession and controls the midfield.

He's really effective when just playing off the striker and a good link up player.

Remember when McPake though he was a left midfielder. 

3 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Not sure how interested many of you will be in this, but Sam Fisher has been excellent for us. Started the last 3 games and been rock solid defensively. He’s also good at driving the team forward with the ball. We’ve kept clean sheets in all 3 games as well. Admittedly, not all down to him, our back 3 have all been very good - and we had 5 clean sheets in 8 games before he came into the team. But he has come in and improved an already impressive defence.

Physically, he hasn’t lost a single battle. His positioning has been very good and his timing of the challenge has been great. It’s been noticeable that both Edinburgh at the weekend and Clyde midweek wanted to test him early on, then rarely went down his side at all in the second half after he dealt with everything easily. His ability with the ball has been a great asset. He’ll carry the ball forward and, if needs be, put crosses into the box - his cross forced a Fontaine own goal last weekend.

Its only league 1, so I’m sure Dundee fans will have their concerns about the legitimacy/relevance of these performances. It’s also a very small sample of games and we haven’t seen how he handles mistakes/poor performances that will inevitably come. But I think you’ve got a very good defender on your hands.

His positioning worries me whenever I’ve saw him. Plays closer to the fullback than his other centrehalf. Great ti hear he’s making a very good impression though. 

46 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Remember when McPake though he was a left midfielder. 

His positioning worries me whenever I’ve saw him. Plays closer to the fullback than his other centrehalf. Great ti hear he’s making a very good impression though. 

So, to be fair, he’s playing on the right of a back 3 for us. So he obviously gets away with drifting wider in that system. Not seen him in a back 4, so can’t comment on that. He’s good at moving wide when we have the ball, to spread the play and covering for the RWB when defending.

Hopefully he continues to do well for us and improves as a player for when he returns to Dundee. Would make it a successful loan move for all parties.

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

Doubt he’s going to get much if we’re playing with just 2 in the middle of midfield. 

This.

I'm a Gowser fan/defender, but I don't think we can play him in a 2 week on week and expect it to work out. It worked great paired with Grayson v's Arbroath, but that was at Home, against the team who are currently bottom of the table, and we were able to compress that game pretty much entirely into the Arbroath half.

In more even games where the opposition will come out a bit more, the play is more even across the field, and there's more ground to cover, I don't see him being anywhere near as effective or influential. Fine if it's a 3, but Bowyer seems to have settled on 2 for now, hence why Gowser is getting splinters in his arse.

I think McGowan just off Robinson is the ideal position for him rather than CM.

Ditch the 2 strikers pish and play Mulligan off Robinson and McGowan comes on when he's tiring or depending on the opposition and do the opposite and let Mulligan run at a tired back line.

Don't really have an issue with Gowser playing further forward in itself, but I think our best team has Mulligan playing advanced and through the middle, so for me Gowser sits behind him and alongside a ball-winner/defensive type to do the dirty work and let Gowser be the playmaker.

4 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Not to be a Debbie downer but why do we want gowzer more forward?, the guy canny shoot and has like 12 assists in 9 years at the club

not taking the pi$$ genuinely wondering 

Because he's excellent at linking the striker with the best of the midfield.

Fix my memory as Google.letting me down and currently trying to talk down a cheeks supporting mate.

Dundee came up I think 1996/97. Got utterly done our first three or four game back up, then according to me Eddie Anand scored a late equaliser from the spot against Septic which kick started our season. He claims he was there and Celtic won 2-1.

Fix my memory as Google.letting me down and currently trying to talk down a cheeks supporting mate.
Dundee came up I think 1996/97. Got utterly done our first three or four game back up, then according to me Eddie Anand scored a late equaliser from the spot against Septic which kick started our season. He claims he was there and Celtic won 2-1.

Definitely a 1-1 draw. Enrico Annoni gave the penalty away. Cue joyous scenes at the fence between the Derry and TC Keay end as hundreds of folk had headed to the steps [emoji3]

Bowyer can get the benefit of still learning with alot of things but not with Williamson starting today.

Rancid display once again; you can see he has some technical ability but he's completely powderpuff and not what's needed in this league. He's no better than Anderson who has shown the same limitations lately.

While mentioning Bowyer it was completely wrong to sub Robinson today who held it up brilliantly and was let down by the lack of support. Mulligan shouldve been off before he had the chance to get sent off never mind shoving him out wide where he can't play.

Ashcroft today with the ball at his feet was a fucking embarrassment. Hoofed it out and misplaced passes time and time again. Kerr was the pick of the back four with French having a really quiet game for once.

Today simply wasn't good enough but clearly there was a few not 100% such as McMullen. The subs still could've been done much earlier - I was calling for changes at half time it was so clear.

Rotten today but looking at the league we,'re still getting away with it. Queens Park and Partick away next. Time to step up or we'll soon be in a worrying place.

Thank You.

I said on here a week or two ago that Williamson continually offers nothing meaningful and he’s preventing our own players from developing.  Can’t remember who it was but someone defended him asking why were people singling him out.

There is a very good reason that Williamson is getting nowhere near the Rangers first team.