All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

To me a loan player should be someone that improves your team.   I’m not a fan of bringing in a player to give them experience unless they are making a significant contribution to the team.

Unlike Robinson, Williamson does not improve the team IMHO. 

The only reason I can see for the Williamson loan is still that Bowyer thought he'd be able to move Byrne on, that wage was planned to go to a new signing at a different position, so Williamson was a wage free (I hope to f**k anyway) body to bulk out the squad. It can't be for football reasons because he offers nothing tactically or ability-wise above anything we already had anyway.

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

We should still have enough to see off Cove Rangers. They have mostly their league 1 squad, lost a record goal scorer and a talented manager.
Sooner or later, and for me it now, Bowyer has to own this.

I think that's a fair enough criticism. You are never going to win every league match no matter whether you are vastly superior to the opposition or not, and Killie lost 9 times last season while winning the league. If this was a single bad defeat in amongst otherwise ok results, then I think you could say fair enough, put it behind us, and move on. The optics of it though are made far worse by the other defeats and the fact we have a habit of conceding 3 goals time after time.

I'm not going to throw Bowyer under the bus just yet, because as I keep saying even if he turns out to be totally average in the long run then that's still an improvement over any of his immediate predecessors. He should absolutely be capable of beating Cove with the squad we have, but this isn't a single, isolated game. I think if we're being fair to him you have to credit him for the fact that of the four players he has brought here, Williamson, Grayson, French, and Robinson, two of them are looking like excellent signings. A 50% hit rate isn't bad, so if he had managed to bring in another 3 or 4 as he stated, then if 2 more of those were a significant improvement perhaps we wouldn't be flogging as many easy goals and losing as many games.

I think it's clear that there has to be an improvement between now and the end of the year with the tools he already has, and then again if he manages to make a few moves in January. Everyone naturally wants to win the league and get promoted, but I'm not so certain that would be the very best thing for the club. I wasn't sure the last time we were down here because I didn't think the squad McPake put together was capable of surviving in the Premier, and yoyoing up and down doesn't really serve any purpose. If Bowyer does manage to sort this out and we end up getting punted in the playoffs or something I wouldn't be all that bothered, but if that happens and we are still looking hopeless at this point next season then I'd be shouting to get rid.

This is still basically McPake's squad, minus Charlie Adam, and we saw what happened to this team last season any time Adam didn't play. The team had huge issues before Bowyer arrived, and nothing much has changed in terms of the playing squad, so I don't think it's entirely fair to start blaming Bowyer for this when it's McPake's doing.

We haven't addressed glaringly obvious issues that have been within the squad for seasons now. Literally seasons. 

To not have a true left back is fucking criminal. What is even more criminal is trying to shoehorn Mcghee into a bunch of positions to try and get a tune out of him. Can someone please tell Bowyer that he is not good enough? Shirked out of battles every time as well...the captain.

We ended the game with two tall strikers that get smaller when they attempt to head the ball and could have played 5 games in a row without scoring. Woeful stuff.

The most worrying part of it is our reaction to conceding a goal, as soon as they scored there was only one winner. Players stopped wanting the ball, when they got the ball you knew it was getting turned over pretty quickly after. I don't think you could accuse anyone on the pitch of lack of effort, just terrible lack of quality. 

I felt a change in sentiment with Bowyer last night with a lot of criticism being directed at him and probably rightly so but he can only piss with the proverbial. It isn't as if he never made it clear we needed strengthened. 

Edited by Pens_Dark

For a bit of light relief after another shite performance - does anyone remember when Hammy and the Hamsters (Alex Hamilton, Craig Brown, Hugh Robertson, Kenny Cameron and Alex Stuart) tried to get a No1 record?

Before my time but its another one that the courier has dredged up https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/past-times/3749863/hammy-and-the-hamsters/

Edited by locheedee

12 minutes ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

How many goals has that Scully guy scored in his career? let alone goals like that! Classic Dundee.

He'd actually scored 2 goals on Saturday against Arbroath, so he's clearly rounding into good form. Doesn't hurt for him that we just stood back and watched him score twice, mind.

3 hours ago, locheedee said:

For a bit of light relief after another shite performance - does anyone remember when Hammy and the Hamsters (Alex Hamilton, Craig Brown, Hugh Robertson, Kenny Cameron and Alex Stuart) tried to get a No1 record?

Before my time but its another one that the courier has dredged up https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/past-times/3749863/hammy-and-the-hamsters/

Someone on here claims to own the original pressing! Can't remember who, though.

9 minutes ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

How many goals has that Scully guy scored in his career? let alone goals like that! Classic Dundee.

I was at the game last night and his goals looked outstanding effort, but just watched on Dee tv again and that 3rd goal the attempt Adam Ledgzins makes to save it is as poor as it gets , I’m 67 now could easily have stopped that from the same position as Adams start position as the guy hit his overhead kick , no wonder Gary Bowyer waited so long to put him ahead of Sharp he’s good at shouting and trying organise his defence but an awful shot stopper 

40 minutes ago, Vernon gilmore said:

I was at the game last night and his goals looked outstanding effort, but just watched on Dee tv again and that 3rd goal the attempt Adam Ledgzins makes to save it is as poor as it gets , I’m 67 now could easily have stopped that from the same position as Adams start position as the guy hit his overhead kick , no wonder Gary Bowyer waited so long to put him ahead of Sharp he’s good at shouting and trying organise his defence but an awful shot stopper 

Yeah, thought the same. Only excuse is maybe he was blinded by players and saw it last minute. Looked pathetic.

Scully is a 29 year old defensive midfielder with 8 career goals before this season. Indian summer I guess 😀

Not sure how much flexibility Gal has now for signings.

However, with Sir Jay of Chapman gone and maybe another one or two to be cleared out we should have space for one or two more!?

I would think he’ll be looking at more loans and freebies. 

How many loan players are allowed at once? 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Girth said:

Not sure how much flexibility Gal has now for signings.

However, with Sir Jay of Chapman gone and maybe another one or two to be cleared out we should have space for one or two more!?

I would think he’ll be looking at more loans and freebies. 

How many loan players are allowed at once? 

Thank you. 

According to George Cran, Chapman was our highest paid player this season (:blink:) so you'd hope that would definitely free up some wages for new recruits

Edited by locheedee

22 minutes ago, locheedee said:

According to George Cran, Chapman was our highest paid player this season (:blink:) so you'd hope that would definitely free up some wages for new recruits

Nearly £3k a week according to the Courier in January, and looks like a Strachan signing. 

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF by Justin

I thought the same watching on the feed and said so. Ledzgins is a great keeper, other than he just doesn’t make saves. We’ve had shite keepers since Bain left. For all the criticism of our defenders they’ve not had a lot of help. I think young Harry has the makings of a very good keeper but it’s a big ask of a young lad.