All things Dundee FC

If so, just Wiki'd the 24-year-old young man who is apparently a French winger previously on the books of AFC Wimbledon last season, English League Two.
We are fast approaching the arrival of officially being labelled a joke club on so many levels, too many levels to list if I'm honest.
This is a dreadful period for our club, imho.
I'm still a relatively fit 57-year-old centre half/sweeper or emergency right back and will be contacting the club for a trial, at least my mind and attitude will not be in question.
Captained Clepington Primary to the top of the league after all.
Regards
t1j4kA.gif.071309ac8d150e1dbe8d5a7222e47606.gif

I wouldn’t disagree with too much of that other than he’s more of a central striker, apparently.

Stick to playing the best players in their best positions, cut out the really basic errors and I think we have enough to win this league.

Zach Robinson is a very decent striker and was punted out on loan by the very same side.

A trialist, that we are having a look at because we're fucked the transfer window is closed isn't indicative of anything FFS.

Edited by Ludo*1

59 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

This is a dreadful period for our club, imho.

I have to disagree with this somewhat.

We are a club sustaining itself financially pretty well in a clear period of transition. I was recently in the facilities at Gardyne and they are excellent. We have 4/5 youth players who have huge potential to really go on and make a name for themselves in the game. The manager (apart from yesterday) has been relatively competent without being the usual Dundee FC minter. After not the greatest start to a season (when do we ever) we still find ourselves only 4 points off top. We are in the 1/4 finals of a cup. A cup that I clearly find half full.

A dreadful period was Melvile and -25 points. This doesn't even come close.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

We are a club sustaining itself financially pretty well in a clear period of transition. I was recently in the facilities at Gardyne and they are excellent. We have 4/5 youth players who have huge potential to really go on and make a name for themselves in the game. The manager (apart from yesterday) has been relatively competent without being the usual Dundee FC minter. After not the greatest start to a season (when do we ever) we still find ourselves only 4 points off top. We are in the 1/4 finals of a cup. A cup that I clearly find half full.

Couldn't agree more. Just the same old shite spewed out from people when we lose a game. 

47 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

43 minutes ago, Juantwothree said:

Couldn't agree more. Just the same old shite spewed out from people when we lose a game. 

Guys, I've already highlighted this weekend we're only 4 points off the top even with only a 10-point return from a possible 21 available.

I've attended Dens Park and followed our beloved club since being a young lad in 1975, with respect that's a lot of games, I can tell you!

If the general consensus, is we are now a mid-table Championship club, fill your boots and enjoy. I for one will never accept that for Dundee FC.

Merely my opinion, whilst fully respecting the opinion of others and their lower expectations.

Regards.

10 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Guys, I've already highlighted this weekend we're only 4 points off the top even with only a 10-point return from a possible 21 available.

I've attended Dens Park and followed our beloved club since being a young lad in 1975, with respect that's a lot of games, I can tell you!

If the general consensus, is we are now a mid-table Championship club, fill your boots and enjoy. I for one will never accept that for Dundee FC.

Merely my opinion, whilst fully respecting the opinion of others and their lower expectations.

Regards.

Nobody is saying we are a mid-table Championship club, where you are getting this consensus from reading this thread, I have no idea. I don't have lower expectations either. But we have been doing the same thing for years, spending money to get promoted but then making a shambles of it in the Prem because we have offered silly contracts to top Championship level players and players who were decent 10 years ago asking for over inflated wages.

You mention having the likes of Adam and Greg Stewart back, we have to move away from this way of thinking at Dundee of taking back former players or players well past thier best. It doesn't work.

If something doesn't work, why keep doing it?

We need to go for a mixture of youth, some decent loan signings and the best players we currently have on contract to get us out this league (which I fully expect) then build from a fresh next season using the more experienced youths, some decent loan signings and new players to suit.

If we don't, we will just carry on being a Yo-yo.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

I don’t think we’ve quite reached joke status but it’s also more than ‘a game’ we’ve lost.

I suppose we have lost 3 games out of how many with Bowyer in charge? 

With Bowyer taking over it was a chance to reset with a new management team and forget about the last few seasons shambles. Hes still using former managers players and trying to get a tune out of a broken piano

Edited by Juantwothree

It does feel like many Dees are ready to sharpen the knives for Bowyer already despite having to use James McPake's squad and him pretty much already admitting publicly that he wanted to rejig the squad.

We've got to rebuild slowly and steadily, and people need to be patient, there is no 'quick fix' for the mess McPake left. We cannot go down the route of throwing silly amounts of money around like the dayglow morons across the road (look where thats got them, ho fucking ho). Been quite happy with Bowyer, apart from his brain fart on Saturday. Robinson and French have been excellent signings.

Thank you.

It does feel like many Dees are ready to sharpen the knives for Bowyer already despite having to use James McPake's squad and him pretty much already admitting publicly that he wanted to rejig the squad.

I’m certainly not at that stage Ludo but there’s an element of revisionism taking place here. We’ve gone from we have a half decent squad hopelessly mismanaged by a clown shoe manager that someone half reasonable could get a tune out of to all the players are shite Bowyer isn’t to blame. We’ve conceded 3 goals against Ayr and both Thistles. That’s a bit concerning and there have been some poor decisions on the park but also in the dugout.
The honeymoon is over, no point crying over no signings, get the best out of what you’ve got please Gaz.

15 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’m certainly not at that stage Ludo but there’s an element of revisionism taking place here. We’ve gone from we have a half decent squad hopelessly mismanaged by a clown shoe manager that someone half reasonable could get a tune out of to all the players are shite Bowyer isn’t to blame. We’ve conceded 3 goals against Ayr and both Thistles. That’s a bit concerning and there have been some poor decisions on the park but also in the dugout.
The honeymoon is over, no point crying over no signings, get the best out of what you’ve got please Gaz.

I think it's fairly evident that the players have a mental fragility from being pumped on the regular. There's a reason a lot of squads don't bounce back up from this league and that's usually because there's not been a turnover and the team has got a losers mentality.

There is a point about crying over a lack of signings because it's going to cost us.

ETA: I also have to disagree with you Spud, I feel you had been sharpening the knives even at the point he was announced!

Edited by Ludo*1

On 16/09/2022 at 19:22, D TOTAL said:

With zach Robinson being a somewhat decent loan signing, who was the last loan player we had where we actually thought I wish we could keep him permanently?

I think @Ludo*1 mentioned Giorgios Efrem and Andy Shinnie - they were fantastic, especially Efrem who had mental pace and you always felt he could make something happen. The one that sticks out for me was Derek Ferguson who came for a month in (i think) 89-90. He only played 3 or 4 games but he absolutely strolled them, levels above the midfielders we had at the time.

Arguably that kickstarted a bit of a recovery which almost saw us stay up after a genuinely horrific 2/3rds of a season. However we lost a crucial home game to St Mirren, from 1-0 up, D*dds missed a penalty and we lost 2-1. 

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

There is a point about crying over a lack of signings because it's going to cost us.

I get your point with this, although knee jerk signings just for the sake of it to replace mediocre with mediocre needs to stop. It's unsustainable and gets us no further forward. If we are bringing players in, they must be the right ones.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

I get your point with this, although knee jerk signings just for the sake of it to replace mediocre with mediocre needs to stop. It's unsustainable and gets us no further forward. If we are bringing players in, they must be the right ones.

Yeah, don't disagree with that, more the fact that Bowyer stated he expected 3-4 in during the week before the deadline and the club delivered 0.

These days, a manager just hands a list of players they want and the decision makers (be that Nelms or Strachan for us) work their way through it if they can't get the top player. To end up bringing in 0 is failing the manager. And if Bowyer wanted to bring another 3-4 in, that's him clearly saying the squad isn't good enough at present IMO.

21 minutes ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

Legz

French Ashcroft McGhee Kerr

Grayson

McMullan Mulligan Marshall

McGowan

Robinson

Bit of a punt on Marshall but with Kerr behind hIim could be an option as he is decent going forward. Only other option is McGinn with McCowan out.

That's the defence that should be starting every game, without a shadow of a doubt.

I think it's fairly evident that the players have a mental fragility from being pumped on the regular. There's a reason a lot of squads don't bounce back up from this league and that's usually because there's not been a turnover and the team has got a losers mentality.
ETA: I also have to disagree with you Spud, I feel you had been sharpening the knives even at the point he was announced!

I strongly voiced my opposition to appointing someone with a track record of abject mediocrity (no point in going over that ground as I highlight the negatives - you the positives and I’ll admit there have been some) but since then I’ve been very positive and supportive.
The managers job is to build the players confidence up, they can’t be total losers as about 75% of them got us promoted not much more than a year ago!
We’ve had 3 disappointing results against teams in our league and it’s got to stop otherwise it’s going to be another horrendous season and I’m not sure how many more we can take, the crowd is already dropping. Livi had less than 3000 at their game on Saturday, they don’t have a sugar daddy as far as I’m aware and they’re in the top 6. We must demand better.

39 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Agreed and stop adding In bonuses of contract extensions if we get promoted. Fkd us over time and again under the Americans ownership. 

Edited by Yenitit

4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I strongly voiced my opposition to appointing someone with a track record of abject mediocrity (no point in going over that ground as I highlight the negatives - you the positives and I’ll admit there have been some) but since then I’ve been very positive and supportive.
The managers job is to build the players confidence up, they can’t be total losers as about 75% of them got us promoted not much more than a year ago!
We’ve had 3 disappointing results against teams in our league and it’s got to stop otherwise it’s going to be another horrendous season and I’m not sure how many more we can take, the crowd is already dropping. Livi had less than 3000 at their game on Saturday, they don’t have a sugar daddy as far as I’m aware and they’re in the top 6. We must demand better.

Were you impressed with the way we performed in the league last time round? Promotion or not, it was abject 90% of the time!