All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

The biggest problem since the Patrick game has been central defence. Absolutely shocking. Total panic stations at every attack they have to defend. I blame nobody else but the 2 CH’s and to an extent the keepers lack of experience. Sweeney is out now, which is good because he was needing dropped, I know most on here rate French but I’d be tempted to go Ashcroft, McGhee and Ledzgins.

…..and replace Marshall with French 😉

With Robinson up front we had a good 10 minute spell then suddenly we lose 2 goals and defensively come close to falling apart for a period after that. Sweeney is awful and I lost count how often Kerr would be out wide and play an inside ball straight to an Ayr player. 

It was galling to watch our CBs complain to the ref about the way Akinyemi was dealing with them only for him to then leave them staring as he skelpt a belter in the top corner. I dont know how his season will turn out but he made Rudden look as average as average can get.

We had such a high-energy start to the game then completely flat. 

I've said all season - we're still pish. I think we'll finish top though and exepected us to get beat last night. 

McGhee is a nothing central midfieder; we all know that but Bowyer still has some learning to do there. Why McGinn didn't come on as a straight replacement for McCowan was a dreadful decision. 

Sweeneys been needing dropped all season along with Marshall. We simply won't win alot of away games with these two in the squad along with our mediocrities such as McGowan, Kerr and McMullen it's largely the woeful side of last season. 

The McPake disaster will effect us for at least another year and there'll be plenty of them sorts of games to come. Overall i think we'll get it right though. For what it's worth i expect us to win the next 3 games in the coming fornight. The table will look alot better after that and we'll be in a cup quarter final. 

A couple of signings this week would be a bonus.

Thank you. 

That was pish last night. The most worrying thing about the game was the manager performance was worse that the team he put on the park. Wtf were those subbies all about? None made sense. Starting to worry he’s underestimating the league. 

Sweeney’s been shite this season. 

Reading on TDBF that Bowyer has punted Alan Combe and Legzdins was taking the warm up last night in an attempt to squeeze out some more cash to play with.

Surely it's not that desperate?!

9 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

McGhee is a nothing central midfieder; we all know that but Bowyer still has some learning to do there. Why McGinn didn't come on as a straight replacement for McCowan was a dreadful decision.

This.

Couldn't believe what I was watching. We have a like-for-like replacement on the bench we could have just subbed in and maintained an approach that saw us have the far better of the game prior to flogging a bad goal from a poorly defended corner, but no, Bowyer brings on McGhee instead, meaning Mulligan gets wasted playing out on the right and vanishes for the rest of the game, McMullan switches over to the left where he's never as effective, McGowan gets hooked at half-time leaving us with two lumps in central midfield and get over-run (as we have any time we've played 4-4-2 for years), and to top it all he later brings on Williamson, who I can't for the life of me see why he was loaned in as he's shown absolutely nothing to warrant it. 

I don't understand this obsession some of our fans have for playing two strikers, and I don't understand why Bowyer is intent on it either. When you have no control in midfield and aren't creating anything, playing two up top just magnifies those problems and it becomes like playing with 10 men. IF we hadn't given away a soft equaliser, and IF we had scored when we had the better of the first 10 minutes of the second half then the game might have turned out differently. We threw away a lead when we were comfortable, and then failed to capitalise once we were back on top. If you don't take your opportunities then you will always get what's coming, but still, the changes Bowyer made were total headscratchers and I think he set us up to fail as a result.

And yep, this Sharp/Sweeney/French triumvirate is hopeless. Sweeney's red could be a gift as it gets Ashcroft or McGhee back into the side, and I think Legs needs to be back between the sticks to give a young keeper who is conceding far too many a break. 

Edited by Boo Khaki

40 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Reading on TDBF that Bowyer has punted Alan Combe and Legzdins was taking the warm up last night in an attempt to squeeze out some more cash to play with.

Surely it's not that desperate?!

Sounds to me like there's a strict budget cap in place, and if Bowyer wants to bring in more players he's got to find the means to do that by reworking the squad and staff. I don't think that's a bad thing as it's more sensible than just chucking more and more money and ending up with a bloated squad. It's already a far size for a Championship outfit and there's still a bit of deadwood to get rid of. I think we also still need to loan out one or two. Robertson can't get on the pitch and Cameron still looks like a wee laddie running around like a headless chicken.

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Sounds to me like there's a strict budget cap in place, and if Bowyer wants to bring in more players he's got to find the means to do that by reworking the squad and staff. I don't think that's a bad thing as it's more sensible than just chucking more and more money and ending up with a bloated squad. It's already a far size for a Championship outfit and there's still a bit of deadwood to get rid of. I think we also still need to loan out one or two. Robertson can't get on the pitch and Cameron still looks like a wee laddie running around like a headless chicken.

BK.  I think that’s possibly the reason Bowyer didn’t bring on McGinn. I’m guessing Bowyer wants McGinn out the door to free up what I assume to be a fairly significant wage.  Leaving him in the bench in a situation like last night speaks a lot louder than any words from Bowyer to McGinn or his agent could.

French is never a centre half but send to get forward well - Marshall is finished and has had a horrendous start to the season - kerr has previously deputised well at LB

French-McGhee-Ashie-Kerr

Maybe with that in front of him Sharp relaxes more - maybe not - in any case legzdins should start if fit.

Gowser is mustard at this level and we are a better team with him in it - Mulligan also needs to play as a more advanced midfielder as he will cause havoc - stick any other of our paucity of CM options in beside Gowser and ask them to do the donkey work - rudden up top to run about like a nutter - he tires Robinson comes on - or start Robinson - whatever. 

Our wingers are self explanatory.

4-5-1 - at home we press away we soak and break - f**k 442 and f**k subbing gowser or putting center half’s up top.

6 minutes ago, The Derry said:

I'd start Robinson for sure.  

Legdzins
Kerr Ashcroft French Marshall

Mulligan McGhee

Cameron McGowan McCowan

Robinson

Wouldn't be against Anderson or Robertson playing.

Was posting as you posted - my post is not a direct response to yours ❤️

29 minutes ago, The Derry said:

I'd start Robinson for sure.  

Legdzins
Kerr Ashcroft French Marshall

Mulligan McGhee

Cameron McGowan McCowan

Robinson

Wouldn't be against Anderson or Robertson playing.

I’d have had McCowan and Sheridan in the side instead of McGinn and Robinson but I think both will be out injured. Kerr at left back instead of Marshall would be fine by me as well. Still want to get through that’s why I wouldn’t want to take too many chances.