All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

To be fair Robinson looks half decent and French and Grayson aren’t the worst we’ve ever signed either.
WRT style. Against Arbroath, Grayson was playing in front of the back 4 and was always available, it worked. Tonight (and against Morton) him and Gowser were swapping that role but when Gowser came deep Grayson went into hiding.

Not sold on French tbh. Robinson looks decent enough but Williamson is no better than anything we’ve already got. Grayson did look decent in his first game but getting the impression he could turn out to be one of those players that flatter to deceive. A couple of big physical players needed, we looked quite weak tonight against Ayr

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:
I'm starting to think Grayson & Williamson have been signed as cheap loans so we could cover Byrne, hopefully get him off the books and address other areas of the pitch.

Like the Charlie Adam shaped hole in the middle of the park?

I'm thinking full back and striker.

Although we could take our pickings.

Well...that game was the final straw for me with Sweeney. Passing was awful, gets turned so easily, aerially he was dreadful tonight and the petulance for the red card summed up why he shouldn't be a captain. He's had a dreadful start to the season but I was never sold on him last season either. Can Bowyer please realise Mcghee should not be anywhere near the team too please?

Ryan Stevenson said after the match that we looked weak and that has been the theme of our team for 3 seasons now. Byrne would make not one bit of fucking difference. 

Marshall had one of his better performances for us but we still need to improve on him or at the very least get someone in to battle for his position. Mulligan is a young player and he is going to have performances like tonight where he is largely anonymous. 

Deflated watching that, like last season all over again. Continue like that and we will be nowhere near top spot and rightly so. 

Edited by Pens_Dark

Well...that game was the final straw for me with Sweeney. Passing was awful, gets turned so easily, aerially he was dreadful tonight and the petulance for the red card summed up why he shouldn't be a captain. He's had a dreadful start to the season but I was never sold on him last season either. Can Bowyer please realise Mcghee should not be anywhere near the team too please?
Ryan Stevenson said after the match that we looked weak and that has been the theme to our team for 3 seasons now. Byrne would make not one bit of fucking difference. 
Marshall had one of his better performances for us but we still need to improve on him or at the very least get someone in to battle for his position. Mulligan is a young player and he is going to have performances like tonight where he is largely anonymous. 
Deflated watching that, like last season all over again. Continue like that and we will be nowhere near top spot and rightly so. 

I don’t totally agree about McGhee but don’t think midfield is his position, the rest I agree with.

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I don’t totally agree about McGhee but don’t think midfield is his position, the rest I agree with.

Mcghee is one of those players, similar to Byrne, that people will either like or dislike. 

I just don't see what he brings to the team some of his defending over the past couple of seasons as a centre back has been terrible and then when he is deployed as a holder/central midfielder he just does not have the awareness or ability to play that position. 

Mcghee is one of those players, similar to Byrne, that people will either like or dislike. 
I just don't see what he brings to the team some of his defending over the past couple of seasons as a centre back has been terrible and then when he is deployed as a holder/central midfielder he just does not have the awareness or ability to play that position. 

Hard to disagree tbh.

Team for Falkirk. I'd certainly be experimenting with something different if I were Bowyer as it's looking increasingly clear that it's not working.

If McCowan is out for an extended spell and he doesn't fancy McGinn then it's time to go to the 3-5-2 that he keeps hinting at.

Here's how I'd line us up for the next game:

Legzdins

McGhee -- Ashcroft -- French

Kerr                                                               Marshall

McGowan -- Any CM -- Mulligan

Rudden -- Robinson

I say any CM, but I'd like it to give Robertson a chance since it's League One opposition, Bowyer would probably go for Grayson but there's also Anderson. Not including Byrne since he doesn't seem to be an option.

On 21/08/2022 at 10:39, Buckfast said:

I hate to say I told you so.

On 20/08/2022 at 23:26,  RossBFaeDundee said: 

2 shots total, and zero shots on target. Pish, I want my big hulking no. 9 who batters defenders and hogs the penalty box, and I want him now!

You will see one on Friday night but he will be wearing number 9 for Ayr.

12 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

On 20/08/2022 at 23:26,  RossBFaeDundee said: 

2 shots total, and zero shots on target. Pish, I want my big hulking no. 9 who batters defenders and hogs the penalty box, and I want him now!

You will see one on Friday night but he will be wearing number 9 for Ayr.

I don't recall refuting this, but whatever quote tweeting you attempted there is very bizarre to look at.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't think, even if we win this league, that we'll do it convincingly.

The league is utter gash, us included.

Can't remember the last team to win this league that could be described as cracking team. Probably Hearts but other than that, can't think of any.

I think Ross County before Hearts had a well organised side that went on to hold their own the season after.

I agree with you in that the league is definitely weaker at the top. A few years ago Hibs Rangers, Livi, Hearts, Dundee Utd, St Mirren were at one time here.

Conversely the bottom has got stronger in that there are no really weak teams that are obvious to go down. 

I enjoy this league and watch it Friday nights. I have seen Dundee a few times. 

9 hours ago, Der Panzer said:

Can anyone explain to me what our play style is or what Bowyer wants the team to do?

Cos I can’t - but more worrying is I am not convinced he nor our players know either..

You probably need to ask some of the other clubs' managers - they seem to have sussed us out already

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

What's the story with McGinn right now?

Has he fallen out with Bowyer?

Or does Bowyer just not rate him?

It looked to me that he has no place in the manager's plans.

My guess is Bowyer doesn’t think he’s getting value for money from him and is hoping to edge him out the door - I’m assuming he’s on a significant wage.  

In any case I’m not sure McGinn is the answer.  He is 35 years old and from the games I’ve seen him in he doesn’t exactly look like he’s showing the younger players any leadership.  Has the appearance of a player just seeing out his days.  Better giving others a chance to gain experience IMHO.

The biggest problem since the Patrick game has been central defence. Absolutely shocking. Total panic stations at every attack they have to defend. I blame nobody else but the 2 CH’s and to an extent the keepers lack of experience. Sweeney is out now, which is good because he was needing dropped, I know most on here rate French but I’d be tempted to go Ashcroft, McGhee and Ledzgins.