All things Dundee FC

17 hours ago, RawB93 said:

What's the one on the other side of the road nearer Inchture?

Had my first date in there and also my first taste of chips and gravy. They were shite and it's also the last time I ordered the same thing as my date for no reason.

The Horseshoe?  

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

The DundeeBarry Jocky Scott blog.

Dodds was a side character as it came out when Chis and Dodds were the management team.

9 hours ago, RawB93 said:

I am now in the loop.

Thank you.

Cracking read for anyone thats not read them

13 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Billy Dodds acting like an absolute arsepiece again in the Record.  Says that he dodged a bullet not joining us. :lol:

Still absolutely raging we think he's an arsehole.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/billy-dodds-relives-lump-throat-27787349

Billy Dodds is a big lugged p***k. That is all.

How are we all? Not contributed much to the derry faithful chat recently.

I feel relatively content with the draw on Saturday - if we perform badly then at least we take a point and move on; we can't afford too many of them mind you. Our home games are going to be crucial this season. I'm concerned that Thistle are the first team to take the two big scalps of the season.

Horrendous display on  Saturday in large parts, but an away point isn't  bad. 

7/12 after a pathetic first day attempt is good, with a big test against Ayr this Friday. If we look to the games after Ayr we have Queens Park before Cove. i'd be expecting 6/6 in them fixtures meaning the Ayr match isn't a complete must win (obviously this early on in season).

On the team the only player with pass marks on Saturday was French, with Kerr at a push. I'd actually have French miles ahead of Sweeney at the moment who has been really poor in the opening games. 

Improvement is needed and can't help but think we need to find a formation that allows us to play two strikers through the middle at the same time. You always get periods in the season where you go pick up points whilst playing decent - we've not hit that stage yet and are still keeping pace at the top. Added into the fact the DABs are in meltdown and all is good at the moment. 

Roll on Friday. 

Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

7/12 after a pathetic first day attempt is good, with a big test against Ayr this Friday. If we look to the games after Ayr we have Queens Park before Cove. i'd be expecting 6/6 in them fixtures meaning the Ayr match isn't a complete must win (obviously this early on in season).

On the team the only player with pass marks on Saturday was French, with Kerr at a push. I'd actually have French miles ahead of Sweeney at the moment who has been really poor in the opening games. 

Improvement is needed and can't help but think we need to find a formation that allows us to play two strikers through the middle at the same time. You always get periods in the season where you go pick up points whilst playing decent - we've not hit that stage yet and are still keeping pace at the top. Added into the fact the DABs are in meltdown and all is good at the moment. 

Roll on Friday. 

Thank you. 

I'd agree with everything here. French has started the season v well. Didn't see the hype with Sweeney last year and he's started this season poorly. I'd consider dropping him for Ashcroft on Friday. We can't keep on giving him 5 minutes at the end of games to get his fitness back up. I'd drop Grayson and play 442 with Robinson up top with Rudden, McCowan on the left with McGinn on the right. McGhee at RB with Cammy LB. Mulligan and McGowan in a midfield two.

Hopefully we can improve on our crossing as our crosses either don't get past the first centreback or they're far too deep. If we provide better service, then hopefully it pays off with an extra striker in the box. 

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Roll on Friday. 

Thank you. 

I don't want to be overly critical but I am still yet to be convinced by Sweeney. Not great with the ball at his feet and although, in general, a pretty commanding centre back he is prone to a bit of a clanger. 

I would like to see French and Ashcroft tested out as a centre back pairing and perhaps French and Mcghee as a more mobile pairing but we seem to have a settled back four right now. I'd still like to see Marshall replaced also. 

I don't want to be overly critical but I am still yet to be convinced by Sweeney. Not great with the ball at his feet and although, in general, a pretty commanding centre back he is prone to a bit of a clanger. 
I would like to see French and Ashcroft tested out as a centre back pairing and perhaps French and Mcghee as a more mobile pairing but we seem to have a settled back four right now. I'd still like to see Marshall replaced also. 

I think Sweeney is pretty decent on the ball TBH. Am I alone, again?

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

I think Sweeney is pretty decent on the ball TBH. Am I alone, again?

All about opinions mate. I think he has a raker of a cross field ping that usually finds Kerr/Winger. I'm just not confident of his touch or short passing which is a major reason as to why French has been brought in.

Legzdins needs to be put in the goal aswell. So many faults from Sharp we've been lucky to get away with.

It could all come tumbling down at a difficult venue in Ayr. Clean sheets can't mask the mistakes being made and the hoofing straight into the terraces.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Legzdins needs to be put in the goal aswell. So many faults from Sharp we've been lucky to get away with.

It could all come tumbling down at a difficult venue in Ayr. Clean sheets can't mask the mistakes being made and the hoofing straight into the terraces.

Thank you.

Better to take him out now and replaced with an experienced keeper than waiting for him to make a howler. 

A decent young keeper that needs to be protected and developed properly with his distribution trained and improved on.

Fair play @Ludo*1, it appears you were right. Mental to just see it written out in an article like that though.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecourier.co.uk%2Ffp%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fdundee-fc%2F3619873%2Fexclusive-shaun-byrne-dundee-gary-bowyer%2F%3Futm_source%3Dtwitter%26utm_medium%3Dsocial

Considering United's desperate need for a defensive midfielder, I wonder if they'd be curious...

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

13 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fair play @Ludo*1, it appears you were right. Mental to just see it written out in an article like that though.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecourier.co.uk%2Ffp%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fdundee-fc%2F3619873%2Fexclusive-shaun-byrne-dundee-gary-bowyer%2F%3Futm_source%3Dtwitter%26utm_medium%3Dsocial

Considering United's desperate need for a defensive midfielder, I wonder if they'd be curious...

Probably get a fee off these morons as well. Good move by Bowyer, young Fin should be playing in that role. IMO.

26 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I love the way the papers spin it, claiming he was one of our best performers in the Prem, true he barely put a foot wrong, that's because most of the game past him by.

In other news...

https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/3616282/ivano-bonetti-qatari-bid-buy-sampdoria-chelsea-gianluca-vialli/

Loan deals from Sampdoria anyone?

I really like Byrne but understand the decision.

I think he's difficult to put into a 2 man centre. I also think he's too classy to be a brute hatchet man type player you need in the Scottish leagues. I'd also say, I don't think he's good or classy enough to ever be a creative force.

Therefore, his uses are severely limited. In the right side and the right formation, he's our most important player but if that's not the way the manager wants to go then he becomes a very expensive back-up option.

Edited by Ludo*1

If GB is pretty much intent on 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 being our base over 4-3-3 then we have Grayson, Byrne, and Robertson all competing for the same spot in the side as I can't see any situation where 2 of those 3 would play in the same midfield. Given that McGhee could probably also play as the anchor or box-to-box as well we have a bit of a number crunch and it makes sense to move Byrne on. Far too inconsistent for me.