All things Dundee FC

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

Genuine question, when he was with us did he look any better than Sharp does atm?

Yes, you could see the potential he had. The man just had the misfortune of having the worst backline in Western Europe in front of him.

45 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Genuine question, when he was with us did he look any better than Sharp does atm?

Not a huge difference I don’t think. I think Legzdins should come back in, the defence will feel far more assured. If we had the luxury of Sharpe going out on loan that would be ideal. 

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Yeah, quite considerably IMO he came off his line and commanded his box, just unfortunate the defence in front of him was made up of:

James Horsfield -- Ryan McGowan -- Ryan Inniss -- Nathan Ralph

Choppers' young lad Jack Wilkie and midfielder Ewan Murray have both now secured loan deals at League One Peterhead under Jim McInally's canny management.

Cast our minds back to when Charlie Adam made his very early appearances for us, Ewan Murray played and scored against Peterhead in a pre season 4 - 0 friendly win at Dens in 2020, aged only 15 for goodness sake.

One for the future and no mistake.

Going by previous comments on here, sooner see young Tyler French going RB, with Lee Ashcroft (if fit) taking his place in central defence and Cammy Kerr playing LB. Jordan Marshall I'm afraid would be dropped meantime, Kevin Holt (now at Patrick) would have been a better signing again from QOS at LB if I'm honest.

Chapman, McGinn and Lawlor should be out on their arse imho prior to the window ending if common sense prevails.

Regards.          

Yeah, quite considerably IMO he came off his line and commanded his box, just unfortunate the defence in front of him was made up of:
James Horsfield -- Ryan McGowan -- Ryan Inniss -- Nathan Ralph

I take Nathan Ralph back.

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I take Nathan Ralph back.

He hitched his wagon to Southend United when they were in League One, and now they're in the National League (including our relegation he suffered 3 in a row), but they stuck with him through bad injuries so he's a big fan favourite now from what I can tell. Still a regular starter for them, of course.

48 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

James Horsfield

Looked him up recently, played with Chester last season but didn't get a contract extension. Trained with Chester during pre-season, didn't get a deal I guess, and now apparently he's an agent. Worked on Man City youth James McAtee's loan deal to Sheffield Utd, so if that's his career now then good for him, hopefully he's better at it than as a footballer.

6 minutes ago, The Derry said:

Please let's not move Cammy to LB he's been playing class out on the right.

Oh I agree 110% @The Derry, he's been more than competent at right back so far this season and is a player who's commitment I admire.

He just happens to have proved previously to be the best option at defensive left back we have at the club at this time I'm afraid.

Good guy living the dream, imho.

Sharp for how good he is has had a huge struggle since day 1 with how rooted to his line he's been and his distribution, shot stopping has been brilliant but a lot of situations caused by him not having confidence to come for almost anything. He needs a lot more football.

Dieng was very good for us and dominant in the air, he was far ahead from where we were at the time. He didn't really get the credit he was due because we were such a shitfest and the atmosphere was to scrutinise absolutely every detail as we were so desperate. Some of the critique he got was a bit silly and I'd feel quite comfortable rating him as one of the better 'keepers I've seen and comfortably levels better than someone like Parish who was well liked IMO.

A few thoughts on last night's game -

Been calling for Anderson to be bombed from the team for a while and Mulligan to play that advanced central role in his place. I thought we were much better for that last night because Mulligan covers as much ground, if not more so than Anderson does, but he also offers a lot more on the ball and competes better without it. I see no reason to bring Anderson back into the side any time soon. Mulligan is a vastly superior player.

It was a bit concerning how off the pace we were in the first 10-15, but we got to grips with the game eventually and I thought we really ought to have been 2 or 3 up at half time. A bit of a habit of playing either a poor final ball from good positions, or players getting in each other's way inside the box, but that's a better issue to have than looking completely innocuous and ineffective they way we did under McPake any time Adam wasn't on the pitch.

I've watched the replay of the penalty incident, and as much as Marshall makes a complete arse of dealing with a punt that any defender should have coped with without any issue, I can't for the life of me see where there is any contact between Sharp and the attacker. HS didn't complain at the award, but I genuinely can't see what it was given for as there is clear daylight and distance between goalie and attacker at all times.

Their 2nd goal looked like a shambles between central defence and goalie, but Robinson misses a simple header to clear that he didn't even need to get off the ground to make. The goal was his fault entirely IMO, and he alluded to that after the match saying he felt he needed to make amends.

Legs needs to be back between the sticks ASAP. I have more confidence in Sharp becoming a regular GK at this point in his career than I did with Mitchell or Ferrie, but I don't think he's a 'play every week' keeper right now. He's shown some ability as a shot-stopper, but I think he's still deficient in several less immediately obvious aspects of keeping goal. He doesn't really command the area with any confidence, still looks prone to gifting a goal (couple of really hairy moments passing it around the back last night), and he appears to have the same fundamental desire to be rooted to his line at all times that seems to be common to all young GK's of the past 10-20 years.

I still think French is a FB playing CB, but I guess we'll find that out in the fullness of time.

Grayson is exactly what we've been missing with Byrne's 1 legit appearance in 10. We really lacked a calm, controlling influence who can link between defence and midfield, he looks strong enough not to be bullied or over-run when the opposition have the ball, and there were a few glimpses last night of this alleged 'wand' of a left foot. I'm keen to see what becomes of him once he's settled in and gets 10+ games under his belt. 

Glad to see Luke McCowan feature and get a goal and an assist. I was beginning to think GB just didn't fancy him for some reason, and that would be a shame because there's definitely a player in there who could easily become one of the 1st names on the sheet every week.

Rudden works incredibly hard and I don't think the criticism he's been getting is really warranted. All strikers go through ups and downs, and I'd far rather have a player like Rudden who gives 100% every week than a Cummings who offers nothing whatsoever when he's not scoring.

I think the team GB started with last night is pretty much my preferred 11 right now, although it's clear we still some serious issues at the back. Legs coming back, and perhaps a different combo of Sweeney + A.N. Other might be more solid, but I do think we need to look at FB's again. Marshall is a problem when he's turned and running towards his own goal, so if we were to sign one more player before the window closes I'd like to see an improvement at LB. That might come from the players already in the squad if French/Grayson can play FB as well, though I'm not sure Grayson would be an up and down the pitch guy if you put him there, more likely the sort of defensive half only FB Cammy is for the most part when he plays on the left.

Happy with the result against a tricky opponent, but definitely still room for improvement in a lot of areas. We need to be more clinical up front and tighter at the back, but the basics of shape, organisation, effort, and intent appear to be there already.