All things Dundee FC

Not sold on French, but when he channelled his inner Morten Wieghorst for the first goal I thought he might have a cracking future as a RB for us.
What a debut from Grayson and Robinson looks an absolute handful.
We, myself included have had questions about the level Bowyer is signing from, but if tonight is anything to go by the latter 2 look very astute.

Agree with all that Ludo. Still buzzing!

McGowan is crucial to the team. Fair play to McCowan too, came in and made a difference. 

Get Mulligan signed up FFS

p.s. French was good again. Definitely a player in there! He can break the lines from defence and that’s important these days. 

Edited by Liam899

I'll start with the few negatives to get them out the way.

At the end of last season I wanted a whole new defence apart from Sweeney. French still seems shaky and prone to a good few mistakes or being outmuscled but he's willing to take the ball and was great for our first goal. Ashcroft could step in if required. Kerr has been better this season and is actually seeming like an attacking threat at times which I think hes mentioned is what bowyer wants from him. Marshall had another big mistake for the penalty. I thought we should have replaced the fullbacks at the end of last season as we'd really have to if we get promoted again. Now I'm hoping they'll steady enough soon or we can try a McGhee or French there.

Sharp still looked a bit unsure at times but now I'm beginning to come around to the idea that we should keep giving him the experience at this level unless he makes a good few howlers then legzdins can give him a break. I thought his kicking has improved.

Despite the difficulties there were a lot of positives. I feel like that's the kind of game from the last two seasons and probably before that where we'd play well for the majority but fail to take enough chances. Then we'd have a setback, lose all confidence and drop points. As annoying as the defensive issues are we do seem to have the spirit to get back into it now which I'm assuming comes from having an experienced manager.

I thought Grayson had a great debut. Grayson and McGowan being willing to come back and take balls from defence meant they didn't have to punt it up to rudden and previously Jakubiak. Mulligan was a constant threat and really gets us up the pitch directly at goal and winning free kicks. I had been getting slightly frustrated with him taking too many touches or too many players instead of passing or shooting but all that will improve. I hope he's got a decent deal.

I'm hoping Rudden kicks on now he has a goal but if not he does at least hassle the defence and creates space for other players. If not then Robinson should be given a decent chance soon.

All in all if we keep getting the points in the end then that's all we can ask for.

Edited by derrybiy

11 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

McGowan is crucial to the team. Fair play to McCowan too, came in and made a difference. 

Get Mulligan signed up FFS

p.s. French was good again. Definitely a player in there! He can break the lines from defence and that’s important these days. 

French was decent I thought, as was Cammy. Mistakes at the back came from Sweeney, Marshall and sharp. Not convinced with the goalkeepers we have( none of them kick well and all three are glued to the goal line for crosses which is annoying). I'd replace Ashcroft with Sweeney, as Sweeney is good for clearing balls in the air with his head but not much else. You can see our plan A at corners and set pieces is to kick it to the back for him to head which he never does, and when he does it doesn't come off. Ball at his feet he's dreadful too. 

Thought Grayson was okay, his crosses were too easy to defend against imo, just lofting it to the back post for Sweeney constantly. Doesn't look the quickest in midfield but was picking up some good positions, especially first half. We were too busy passing it between sharp, Sweeney and French instead of getting it into Grayson quickly though. 

Positives - McCowan should've got MOTM. Brilliant first goal and cross for the third. Should be in the team each week ahead of McGinn and McMullan on the wing. 

McGowan was good too, as was Cammy. Thought Mulligan was alright - I've seen him play much better and not score - but that goal was brilliant. Reminded me of Stewart twisting and turning before curling it in. He's definitely come on massively since 2019. 

Overall I thought Arbroath were better second half, we made some stupid mistakes with Marshall and sharp and a goal or two from them was definitely coming. They had lots of corners 2nd half and looked more of a threat than us. 

Don't think it was a great performance but it was a great result. 

13 minutes ago, derrybiy said:

I'll start with the few negatives to get them out the way.

At the end of last season I wanted a whole new defence apart from Sweeney. French still seems shaky and prone to a good few mistakes or being outmuscled but he's willing to take the ball and was great for our first goal. Ashcroft could step in if required. Kerr has been better this season and is actually seeming like an attacking threat at times which I think hes mentioned is what bowyer wants from him. Marshall had another big mistake for the penalty. I thought we should have replaced the fullbacks at the end of last season as we'd really have to if we get promoted again. Now I'm hoping they'll steady enough soon or we can try a McGhee or French there.

Sharp still looked a bit unsure at times but now I'm beginning to come around to the idea that we should keep giving him the experience at this level unless he makes a good few howlers then legzdins can give him a break. I thought his kicking has improved.

Despite the difficulties there were a lot of positives. I feel like that's the kind of game from the last two seasons and probably before that where we'd play well for the majority but fail to take enough chances. Then we'd have a setback, lose all confidence and drop points. As annoying as the defensive issues are we do seem to have the spirit to get back into it now which I'm assuming comes from having an experienced manager.

I thought grayson had a great debut. Grayson and McGowan being willing to come back and take balls from defence meant they didn't have to punt it up to rudden and previously jakubiak. Mulligan was a constant threat and really gets us up the pitch directly at goal and winning free kicks. I had been getting slightly frustrated with him taking too many touches or too many players instead of passing or shooting but all that will improve. I hope he's got a decent deal.

I'm hoping Rudden kicks on now he has a goal but if not he does at least hassle the defence and creates space for other players. If not then Robinson should be given a decent chance soon.

All in all if we keep getting the points in the end then that's all we can ask for.

Starting with Sharp. I'd agree with most of that. Out of the three I'd be most comfortable keeping him in goal. I don't think any of the three are brilliant though. All of them have the same faults imo, kicking and not coming off their line stick in the mind. Marshall is a liability and it was smart from their keeper to start a quick counter by punting it long for their striker to win it in a 1v1 with Marshall.

Thistles third also came at our back post on Marshall's side, with him caught in no man's land. Sooner we get a new LB the better. Thought Cammy did well there whenever he's played there in the last few seasons. 

Glad he dropped Byrne and Anderson as they've been stinking recently. Byrne is too negative even when he's in front of goal and should be shooting, instead choosing the sideways pass. I've never really been convinced by Anderson, so that's all I'll say. McGowan, Mulligan and Robertson would be my midfield three, as Grayson was picking up some good positions but doesn't seem the quickest. ( Was a while ago now but the last time I saw Robertson get a proper chance in the first team was the derby in 19, and he strolled it). Worth another look at him. 

Rudden put in a shift, and even though not much came off for him, I'm glad he got a goal. He puts in a shift and is one of the only players we have that will wind up the opposition and has an edge to him. Falls and stumbles around alot, and his first touch isn't the best but he's a handful. Would rather have him up top putting himself about than the constantly injured jakubiak. 

Sheridan's just an afterthought at this moment in time. Robinson looks okay, took his header well but it's still early days so won't say any more on him. 

Definitely sensed a collapse when they made it 2-2, thought they were the better team second half, thankfully both defences had a nightmare and we were able to score more. Looking forward to Morton next week

Not agreeing with some of the above. Grayson was magnificent. Sure he tired a bit as the game went on, understandably, but for the first 70 minutes he was undoubtedly the missing link we’ve been searching for. Sweeney I’d also keep, he is a real leader on the park and very dominant in the air. He’s prone to the odd bombscare but he is actually pretty decent on the ball.
In reality we need a new keeper. Harry is too raw, Lawlor absolutely shite, and for me the Legend not quite good enough, but for now Ledgzins calmness would be an upgrade.
Cammy to me is undroppable. Great energy and fitness, resilient and his height is handy when he tucks in for crosses. Marshall, although likeable enough, is a defensive liability and although he likes to get forward his lack of pace restricts him. This is a problem because although Cammy has done ok there, I don’t think it’s a long term solution.
French - maybe needs games to get his confidence up but I’d say last season, at a higher level the central pairing of Sweeney and Ashcroft didn’t seem so chaotic.
So Legzdins in, Ashcroft in, as a start and keep looking for a left back upgrade.

Grayson I don’t think misplaced a single pass, and was constantly coming back to take the balls off the centre halfs and moving the ball forward. Like I said earlier, he’s a bargain Kamara but that’s more than enough for this level, and he’s what we’ve been missing in the midfield. Combine that with McGowan and Mulligan and you’ve got a great midfield that link up well together.

Grayson I don’t think misplaced a single pass, and was constantly coming back to take the balls off the centre halfs and moving the ball forward. Like I said earlier, he’s a bargain Kamara but that’s more than enough for this level, and he’s what we’ve been missing in the midfield. Combine that with McGowan and Mulligan and you’ve got a great midfield that link up well together.

The comparison with Kamara is a good one, but for me, and it’s 1 game at a lower level, he looks to play the ball forward much more than Kamara did.

Most I've enjoyed a game at Dens in years, even at 2-2 I wouldn't have left raging. 

Enough's been said about the players but fair fucks to the young team for the atmosphere they're generating, makes such a difference to the whole place and it spreads beyond the derry. 

Most I've enjoyed a game at Dens in years, even at 2-2 I wouldn't have left raging. 
Enough's been said about the players but fair fucks to the young team for the atmosphere they're generating, makes such a difference to the whole place and it spreads beyond the derry. 

Agree with all that. I’m thinking of returning to the South Enclosure to get near it!

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Agree with all that. I’m thinking of returning to the South Enclosure to get near it!

I couldn't sit in my usual seat in The Derry last night because I didn't buy a season ticket, and will have to dot about different seats this season.

Last night the atmosphere in The Derry was excellent, however for years I have heard a guy with some ridiculous shouts and constantly berating the players, but never knew where he sat. Last night I was sat right next to him. Wowzers, even last night he moaned constantly for 88 mins. Just a fuckin' balloon. Will not sit there again.

I couldn't sit in my usual seat in The Derry last night because I didn't buy a season ticket, and will have to dot about different seats this season.
Last night the atmosphere in The Derry was excellent, however for years I have heard a guy with some ridiculous shouts and constantly berating the players, but never knew where he sat. Last night I was sat right next to him. Wowzers, even last night he moaned constantly for 88 mins. Just a fuckin' balloon. Will not sit there again.

If it’s the boy I’m thinking of, he’s a complete balloon. Loud as f**k and just wants to be the centre of attention.

Just now, SweeperDee said:

If it’s the boy I’m thinking of, he’s a complete balloon. Loud as f**k and just wants to be the centre of attention.

A ball was played miles in front of Cammy last night, nobody was ever reaching it. It was a poor pass. He stood up and started screaming at Cammy for not reaching it. Boy was a melt. Then in the 2nd half it was Marshall's turn for constant wild shouts.

Just now, johnnydun said:

A ball was played miles in front of Cammy last night, nobody was ever reaching it. It was a poor pass. He stood up and started screaming at Cammy for not reaching it. Boy was a melt. Then in the 2nd half it was Marshall's turn for constant wild shouts.

There was a boy sat at the back of the Bobby Cox toward the end of last season like that. Not seem him yet this season so maybe the same person? Slightly older (maybe 60s) with a beard and tended to wear a grey hoodie.