All things Dundee FC

I said during the league cup games that Anderson was continually playing poorly. Once again on Saturday he was pathetic. Time for a rest.

We need Mulligans robustness in the middle and personally can't see why McCowan isn't getting game time.

Still very early and the defeat could turn out to be exactly what we needed. We know that McPake filled the squad with duds that would have a negative effect within the club until their time is up. It's about getting through this season the best we can before off loading a large percent of them. Bowyer will have learnt alot that maybe some of us already knew.

We move on to Kirkcaldy. With the right team on the pitch there's no reason we can't win.

Thank you.

Thought Sharp and French need a lot more experience around them and without that the whole defence look jittery. If Legzdins and Ashcroft come in then that will make a huge difference. McGowan in for Williamson will also give the midfield a bit more bite and leadership in the middle. Marshall and Anderson would be hugely helped by these changes. There were a lot of positives on Saturday and 3 changes could easily be enough. That said I preferred Robertson to Byrne and while McMullen may be frustrating he certainly did more than McGinn. With others on fringe of team there is decent enough competition for places. I feel a lot more positive than I have been at this stage over past few seasons, just don't expect a very young team to win every game

Only just catching up to this now so apologies if I duplicate what others have said.

- Byrne is just not very good - sorry to say and I know a few will disagree. 

- Once we went a goal down and Williamson went off we lost our collective marbles - I haven't seen so many players switch position over the course of 90 minutes .

- Marshall also is just not very good and combining him with Mcginn is a recipe for disaster. Countless times on Saturday our left wing was non-existent as Marshall was laughably out of position and Mcginn has basically no interest in tracking back. 

- Rudden lacks technique on the ball but is a decent enough target for the ball to come in to, unlike Jakubiak who was getting balls launched up to him. ONE OF MY PET HATES IN FOOTBALL...don't lump the ball up to a player of his height as he was become utterly useless. 

- The new lad had some nice touches and looks to be fairly strong. The sort of player Jakubiak needs to play up front with if he is going to be a striker.

- I wouldn't have a problem with keeping Sharp in goal if Legzdins can't find fitness. His kicking is utterly honking though and needs addressed.

- We can also take positives from the comeback in the game, although we fell short. One big factor is that come the final 10-15 minutes Thistle looked knackered and I think that will be an important factor for most teams in this league.

ETA - Anderson was completely anonymous and should have been hooked well before he was. Looked knackered after 30 minutes or so and it really effected anything we tried to do in midfield.

Edited by Pens_Dark

Fin Robertson look huge though didn’t he no the scrawny wee 16 year old that made his debut about 2 year ago

agree with what’s being said re Anderson and Byrne, I feel this could have been a good game for Cameron to try something(anything)

McMullan was a real live wire but again such an annoying player, is his finaL ball that poor or are our players afraid of charging in the box for fear of losing position?

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

Fin Robertson look huge though didn’t he no the scrawny wee 16 year old that made his debut about 2 year ago

agree with what’s being said re Anderson and Byrne, I feel this could have been a good game for Cameron to try something(anything)

McMullan was a real live wire but again such an annoying player, is his finaL ball that poor or are our players afraid of charging in the box for fear of losing position?

We were warned about this by the dirty dayglo's.

Christ, we're turning on McMullan now? Just the two assists on the day, not gonna say he isn't frustrating with his distribution and shooting because he is, but he is still one of our most effective players. Get Anderson on the bench, Mulligan back in midfield and McMullan back starting. Would also want McCowan on the left wing over McGinn for Raith if I'm being honest.

Christ, we're turning on McMullan now? Just the two assists on the day, not gonna say he isn't frustrating with his distribution and shooting because he is, but he is still one of our most effective players. Get Anderson on the bench, Mulligan back in midfield and McMullan back starting. Would also want McCowan on the left wing over McGinn for Raith if I'm being honest.

He might be frustrating but he’s entertaining imo. I like nae neck.

24 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Tbf Ross, crossing a ball in to an area is not difficult, especially if the ball isn't moving to begin with. He isn't the only player guilty of this and had about 10 attempts at it on Saturday.

After playing amateur football for a number years, I can't get my head around how a professional player can't get the ball to drop just in front of the 6yd box.

I don't dislike him though, although he does need to change his fuckin' boots.

Edited by johnnydun

1 hour ago, Girth said:

Are we all thinking McMullan is a bit guff chaps? 

Had Thistle rattled for the last 30 minutes and got the assist for both goals, both corners but were well taken and better than McGinn's efforts. McMullan's final ball isn't great, that's been obvious for a while but he gave Dundee an attacking option other than launching the ball up to Jakubiak. I'd start him on Saturday.

I'd drop Byrne, not only did he have a bad game against Thistle we shouldn't be starting with too many defensively minded midfield players. Bring him on if there's 20 minutes left and a lead to protect.

I think Anderson has a lot of potential, but he had a bad game and should be dropped for a spell.

Still think Jakubiak should start, he worked his arse off with very little service. He's not a target man you can punt the ball up to though, he needs the ball at his feet.

53 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Assume McGinn will be one of the highest earners in the team, done f**k all to justify it. IMO. Don't rate the fucker or like him.

Needs to step now at this level, show some guts as a senior pro. Been shite since he joined. Used to always play well against us though 🤔 😠

3 minutes ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

Needs to step now at this level, show some guts as a senior pro. Been shite since he joined. Used to always play well against us though 🤔 😠

Can't see it happening, a 'has been' that's topping up his pension pot. Would rather a youth got a chance than him.