All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Difficult one.

I think McGhee playing B2B worked the last time because we had Adam playing passes into space for him to run on to. We no longer have a player of Adam's quality to do that, and I think McGhee got found out a bit when we tried to get him to do the same last season against better opposition.

I'm not impressed with French so far playing CB, but it's early days. I'm also wary of playing Sweeney alongside Ashcroft as both are big lump types and I see Ashcroft more as Sweeney's back up if he's unavailable. I'd be tempted to play McGhee alongside Sweeney at the back, Byrne/Robertson and Gowser in front of them, and McGinn, Mulligan, McMullan in front of that.

I like the fact we have a good number of our own youngsters coming through, but there's a lot of inexperience there and I think this is a match where I'd rather have the old heads on the pitch, to begin with at least.

Agree,, set piece goal threat from Ashcroft swung it for me though.

4 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Where do people see McGhee being played when he's back? CH beside Sweeney or the box to box midfield role?

On the bench.

Sadly I wasn't too surprised by yesterday's result. At the end of the day we've basically got the same squad that struggled to get out of this league 2 years ago minus Charlie who lets face it dragged us through the play offs. 

I'd play Ashcroft ahead of French, if the latter can play full back then put him in at RB and swap Cammy over to the left instead of Marshall.

Robertson to get the nod over Byrne, lets face it we need to find out if he is going to cut it at this level and he now looks a better player than he did previously.

McGowan needs to come back in and McGinn quite frankly looked past it yesterday. 

New boy and Rudden to start up front. Anderson needs dropped as he's been very poor for a while now.

Cameron probably still best kept on the bench to start with but get him on in the second half. I think he would have caused real problems yesterday given the opportunity

On the bench.
Sadly I wasn't too surprised by yesterday's result. At the end of the day we've basically got the same squad that struggled to get out of this league 2 years ago minus Charlie who lets face it dragged us through the play offs. 
I'd play Ashcroft ahead of French, if the latter can play full back then put him in at RB and swap Cammy over to the left instead of Marshall.
Robertson to get the nod over Byrne, lets face it we need to find out if he is going to cut it at this level and he now looks a better player than he did previously.
McGowan needs to come back in and McGinn quite frankly looked past it yesterday. 
New boy and Rudden to start up front. Anderson needs dropped as he's been very poor for a while now.
Cameron probably still best kept on the bench to start with but get him on in the second half. I think he would have caused real problems yesterday given the opportunity

I agree with most of that but the squad is fairly substantially changed from 2 years ago. Plus I actually thought McGinn wasn’t too bad yesterday, although either he got a knock or the manager agrees with you!

Just now, Fifespud said:

In other news - what’s happened to Random Guy? Booted off or a hissy fit?

Nah, it's been pretty shocking. I don't know the full story but, folk on Twitter investigating who he is and talking about his missus and kid, possibly in a derogatory way, because of comments he has said about St Johnstone. So he said he is done with it all. Maybe @tree house tam can clarify. Absolutely nae need for that shite. Some may find him irritating at worst, but he has never come across as offensive at all.

It’s amazing what a season break can do last season cammy Kerr couldn’t put a foot right for some now he’s the answer for left back instead of an actual left footed player who was touted for a decent move down south 

Nah, it's been pretty shocking. I don't know the full story but, folk on Twitter investigating who he is and talking about his missus and kid, possibly in a derogatory way, because of comments he has said about St Johnstone. So he said he is done with it all. Maybe [mention=42397]tree house tam[/mention] can clarify. Absolutely nae need for that shite. Some may find him irritating at worst, but he has never come across as offensive at all.

That’s going a bit far but he is all over other teams threads, really pissing people off.
I’m going to enjoy the peace and hope he doesn’t rush back.

8 hours ago, Vernon gilmore said:

I’d be tempted to try McGee at right back moving Cammy to left where he’s definitely had his best games , Marshall should be no more than back up , Ashcroft and Sweeney in the middle , French as back up , from what I’ve saw so far he’s not fit , breathing out his erse after 20 mins , I’d also play Finn instead of Shaun at moment better range of passing for me , and if McGowan ain’t fit then Lyle should be starting in his place , but this is possibly why I’ve never been a coach 

I'd agree with McGhee at RB and Cammy left back. Thought McGhee was one of the best players in McPakes first two seasons up until he was injured in the September derby. Only came back in February properly in February and I thought he was good at RB/CB. The midfield experiment was good enough for the championship but not for the premiership. However I don't agree with everyone saying it should be Sweeney and X or Sweeney and Y. I'd be tempted to drop Sweeney instead and play McGhee, French, Ashcroft and Cammy. 

Kerr has been good enough at RB and has been better for me at LB than Marshall. Genuinely don't understand the hype around Marshall and Sweeney. Sweeney can head the ball but as we saw on Saturday and times last season he's useless with the ball at his feet.

I said the same thing on twitter last year and another fan said "shock, defenders best attributes are defending". I'm sorry but he's a professional football player, he should be able to do the basics well enough like run with the ball and pass well. He's like Bambi on ice when the ball's at his feet. 

He's a tall lad (6ft4) but he rarely attacks the ball well or even look like jumping to win it when we've got corners or free kicks. We always try and hit him at the back post, and to my knowledge it hasn't worked. 

Haven't seen the third goal back and it was a poor clearance from sharp that led to it, but it would've been Marshall's area at the back post that the header came from. Seemed like he was caught in no man's land. He's a liability defensively (which should be the strongest part of his game) and he rarely provides going forward. 

He's not the only one that doesn't provide going forward. Even though I've never liked jakubiak (he was second best to everything and I'm amazed bowyer couldn't see it), we don't have anyone that can cross well. If a cross manages to beat the first man there's always an opposition defender who gets there first. Jakubiak is just so slow and immobile. Still perplexed at why McPake gave him a new deal. Amusing to see fans say he's like a different player after scoring against part timers 😂

12 hours ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

Would drop Byrne (shite), Anderson (off form for a while now, be an option off the bench).

McGowan, Legz and Ashcroft back in when fit.

Give Cameron a go and new boy up front.

Last chances for Robertson, McGinn, McCowan. Fed up of these one good game in 5 boys.

Byrne and Anderson don't do anything for me. I've said enough on Anderson and it's clear to see that he doesn't offer much. McGowan, Robertson and Mulligan has to be the midfield at Raith. To be fair to Robertson in regards to your last comment, I don't think he's been given a chance. McPake and McKay were raving about him when he first came into the team, saying how he could play 40-50 games and then they dropped him in the first derby of 19-20. He never really got a chance after that as McPake was choosing the lightning quick midfield trio of Ness, Byrne and dorrans 🙈.

Robertson and McCowan definitely need more chances though, agree with McGinn though. 

12 hours ago, Crawford said:

A loss is still a loss, but clawing back 2 goals from being 3 down is not something Dundee would do under any recent management. 

I think brutal lessons were learned and we might see some more movement as a result. 

Overall not time to shite the bed. Yet.

Still think 3-2 flattered us. Apart from McGinn hitting the side netting in the first half and Mulligan shooting when he should've passed to McGinn I can't remember many chances until Cammy scored. We didn't deserve a point so I think it would've been harsh on thistle if we did get it. They didn't have to play that well to get the win. 

On the keeper situation - I don't get why some people are clambering for legzins to come back. His kicking is as bad as Sharps and Lawlors (none of the three goalkeepers kick a ball well) and he made some high profile errors last year (Hibs 2-2 and United 1-0 spring to mind immediately), and that's before we even mention his time wasting!

Even though his kicking is rubbish I'd much rather see sharp remain in goal. Bring back Bobby Geddes. There's a keeper that can kick a football.  

1 hour ago, LM_0803 said:

Still think 3-2 flattered us. Apart from McGinn hitting the side netting in the first half and Mulligan shooting when he should've passed to McGinn I can't remember many chances until Cammy scored. We didn't deserve a point so I think it would've been harsh on thistle if we did get it. They didn't have to play that well to get the win. 

On the keeper situation - I don't get why some people are clambering for legzins to come back. His kicking is as bad as Sharps and Lawlors (none of the three goalkeepers kick a ball well) and he made some high profile errors last year (Hibs 2-2 and United 1-0 spring to mind immediately), and that's before we even mention his time wasting!

Even though his kicking is rubbish I'd much rather see sharp remain in goal. Bring back Bobby Geddes. There's a keeper that can kick a football.  

Legzdins had been playing with a leg injury pretty much all of last season that's why his kicking was impacted. It's now kept him out for the best part of 6 month. McPake should have signed a half decent back up so that Legzdins could have dropped out at the time. Yet another disgraceful piece of management.

We watched different games! I’ve seen Dundee win games like Thistle did on Saturday. You turn up and the opposition gift you goals. Anyway no matter.
I’m certainly not clambering to get Ledgzins back, I also think he’s very mediocre but I agree with Ludo that we might need to protect young Harry a bit.

I'll be missing one of my favourite away days (at a wedding) but I'm hoping GB makes at least 4 changes from Saturday's starting line up. I'd stick with Sharp in goal but would be happy to see Marshall, Byrne, Anderson, Jakubiak, Williamson and McGinn all drop out.

Its time to see if Robertson is ready to make the grade at this level and we will hopefully see Rudden and the new lad up front.

The team is till crying out for a creative midfield player and another striker. It's a learning curve for our new manager and naturally he doesn't know much about the talent pool in Scotland. I'd like to think we'll start to sign some good Scottish players in the next year or two once he gets to grip with things. As long as we are making progress then we have to give GB a bit of time.

2 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I'll be missing one of my favourite away days (at a wedding) but I'm hoping GB makes at least 4 changes from Saturday's starting line up. I'd stick with Sharp in goal but would be happy to see Marshall, Byrne, Anderson, Jakubiak, Williamson and McGinn all drop out.

Its time to see if Robertson is ready to make the grade at this level and we will hopefully see Rudden and the new lad up front.

The team is till crying out for a creative midfield player and another striker. It's a learning curve for our new manager and naturally he doesn't know much about the talent pool in Scotland. I'd like to think we'll start to sign some good Scottish players in the next year or two once he gets to grip with things. As long as we are making progress then we have to give GB a bit of time.

The problem is the only progress that will be acceptable to most is promotion - even going up via the play-offs was being evaluated as a fail according to some.