All things Dundee FC

I've always thought Anderson was a lot of huff and puff and very little footballing ability, but I've held off saying anything because it's not generally well accepted if you slag young players who are youth products, plus I thought he needed a while in the team before he might show just why he was playing regularly at his age. Still not seeing anything from him though. I thought he was definitely the type of player we were lacking when he came into the team, so I can understand why he got the chance in the first place, but it's nearly two years on and I'd have hoped he'd have shown a lot more by now than he actually has.
Robertson I thought looked nowhere near ready for 1st team football in the wee run that he got despite the plaudits he was receiving. Sure, he looked neat and tidy enough, but he wasn't actually contributing anything to the team either defensively or going forwards. If he's grown up a bit since then and can impose himself a bit more on the game then I'm all for giving him another chance.

I think Byrne needs dropped before young Max. Max has a bit of touch and a bit of strength, chips in with an odd goal, he can also get us up the park. Byrne does f**k all. Barely crosses the halfway line and never passes forwards.
Defence is where we are really struggling. French looks a bomb scare to me, Sweeney can also self destruct as we saw today. The sooner Ashcroft and/or McGhee is back the better.
I think we were a wee bit unlucky today, dark blue specs maybe, but we created chances throughout the 90 minutes, with decent finishing we could have scored 5.

13 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I think Byrne needs dropped before young Max. Max has a bit of touch and a bit of strength, chips in with an odd goal, he can also get us up the park. Byrne does f**k all. Barely crosses the halfway line and never passes forwards.
Defence is where we are really struggling. French looks a bomb scare to me, Sweeney can also self destruct as we saw today. The sooner Ashcroft and/or McGhee is back the better.
I think we were a wee bit unlucky today, dark blue specs maybe, but we created chances throughout the 90 minutes, with decent finishing we could have scored 5.

100%, This is what I was trying to get across on the match thread. I think we just gifted 3 goals away today, without Thistle really threatening, I didn't think they were that great. We had 13 shots and 8 corners, take away the calamities and we are winning that. (No doubt I will come under a bit of stick.)

Discussed it in here before, but Byrne is infuriating because there's 1 game in 10 where he does exactly what you'd hope of him. Takes no prisoners in the challenge, gets the ball, doesn't waste it. The problem is that 9 games in 10 he's just totally anonymous and contributes nothing. If Bowyer could somehow get that 1 in 10 performance out of him even half the time then he'd be undroppable, but as it is he's a passenger for the most part.

I think that's been the biggest problem with our team for years if I'm honest. Aye, there was the farce with McPake trying to play 3 at the back with Forster flogging goal after goal, but for years we've persistently had a midfield where either one or more of the regulars is a total passenger, or we've tried to play a system we just didn't have the players for, or we had to pack the midfield so much with plodders that it left us playing one up front who was constantly isolated and got no service. We had spells where it was either a midfield pair getting totally overrun, no dynamism because of the lack of a box-to-box player, or a total lack of width due to having no wingers of any note in the squad. It's been yonks since we had a midfield that was a fully functional unit where every player had a role they were suited to and performed it regularly, and I think the closest we've got is when we played a 3 with Adam, McGhee, and Byrne/Gowser.

I know most folk think we're lacking a creative influence, and I wouldn't disagree, but in terms of depth the middle of the park was the one area I wasn't really concerned about going into this season. We have plenty of players who are naturally central players, three out-and-out wingers, Jak who is kinda a wide forward (allegedly), so we really shouldn't struggle, but on the evidence of today it looks like we've gone from being utterly reliant on a 36 year old midfielder to being just as reliant on a 34, soon to be 35 year old, and that is concerning.

100%, This is what I was trying to get across on the match thread. I think we just gifted 3 goals away today, without Thistle really threatening, I didn't think they were that great. We had 13 shots and 8 corners, take away the calamities and we are winning that. (No doubt I will come under a bit of stick.)

We’re of the same mind Johnny. We were cutting through them like a hot knife through butter. (I’ve now had 3 stiff voddies to be fair). We cannot defend like that and expect to have a happy season.

I feel the need to get this off my chest, and my tin hat is already on, because I know it's not the thing to do with our young players.

However... I'm not sold on Sharp at all. I think he's got a decent reputation because he's a keeper from our academy and he's not Ian Lawlor. Lawlor was getting regularly berated for his kicking, I'd argue that Sharp's is considerably worse. He is nowhere near dominant of his 6 yard box and whilst he can pull off a cracking save, I don't think he has enough of the basics. He wasn't the main one to blame for the second goal today - absolutely nowhere near it, it was all on Sweeney, but a good keeper takes the pressure off in that situation. I don't think I could see Legzdins falling culprit to that particular mistake.

I'm not writing Sharp off at all, I think he could potentially have a big future, just as I thought Ferrie and Gourlay could before him (both first choice keepers in our league this season) but I think he needs more experience at a lower level. It's not the time for him to be our first choice keeper and the sooner the Legzdins is back the better. Let's let Sharp learn his trade without burying him under the pressure of us

I feel the need to get this off my chest, and my tin hat is already on, because I know it's not the thing to do with our young players.
However... I'm not sold on Sharp at all. I think he's got a decent reputation because he's a keeper from our academy and he's not Ian Lawlor. Lawlor was getting regularly berated for his kicking, I'd argue that Sharp's is considerably worse. He is nowhere near dominant of his 6 yard box and whilst he can pull off a cracking save, I don't think he has enough of the basics. He wasn't the main one to blame for the second goal today - absolutely nowhere near it, it was all on Sweeney, but a good keeper takes the pressure off in that situation. I don't think I could see Legzdins falling culprit to that particular mistake.
I'm not writing Sharp off at all, I think he could potentially have a big future, just as I thought Ferrie and Gourlay could before him (both first choice keepers in our league this season) but I think he needs more experience at a lower level. It's not the time for him to be our first choice keeper and the sooner the Legzdins is back the better. Let's let Sharp learn his trade without burying him under the pressure of us

I’ve been the biggest critic of the Legend but my toys wouldn’t be out the pram if he comes straight back in.
I’m torn between wanting to play all the young lads regardless and also wanting to have a really enjoyable season.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's fair, he's been thrown in, and has done a decent job, but we definitely need Legzdins back.

16 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Shocking first half. Much improvement required before what isn't an easy trip to Kirkcaldy.

Don't want to tempt fate but I was at both the Aberdeen and Cove matches. Raith are pleasant on the eye, number 7 is very tidy but no cutting edge.

4-0 Raith 😂

If Sharp is going to be a good keeper for us he has to be more commanding.  For PT’s 2nd goal Sweeney was running towards his own goal.  I’d expect my keeper to be nearer the edge of his box ready to reach the ball first and clear it.  Yes, I know Sweeney is the captain but Sharp should be telling Sweeney what’s going to happen in circumstances like that.

Also, how on earth can a professional player not be able to keep the ball in play when kicking out from the back?  Utterly baffling how often Sharp kicks the ball out of play.  

Don't want to tempt fate but I was at both the Aberdeen and Cove matches. Raith are pleasant on the eye, number 7 is very tidy but no cutting edge.

4-0 Raith [emoji23]

Yeah I watched Aberdeen v Raith on a stream and agree they were easy on the eye and the 3 zip score flattered the Dons.
Reality sets in.

A loss is still a loss, but clawing back 2 goals from being 3 down is not something Dundee would do under any recent management. 

I think brutal lessons were learned and we might see some more movement as a result. 

Overall not time to shite the bed. Yet.

Where do people see McGhee being played when he's back? CH beside Sweeney or the box to box midfield role?

Thank you.

eta I would go with the midfield and play Ashcroft beside Sweeney, he's supposed to be fast, so play French as a full back.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Where do people see McGhee being played when he's back? CH beside Sweeney or the box to box midfield role?

Thank you.

eta I would go with the midfield and play Ashcroft beside Sweeney, he's supposed to be fast, so play French as a full back.

Difficult one.

I think McGhee playing B2B worked the last time because we had Adam playing passes into space for him to run on to. We no longer have a player of Adam's quality to do that, and I think McGhee got found out a bit when we tried to get him to do the same last season against better opposition.

I'm not impressed with French so far playing CB, but it's early days. I'm also wary of playing Sweeney alongside Ashcroft as both are big lump types and I see Ashcroft more as Sweeney's back up if he's unavailable. I'd be tempted to play McGhee alongside Sweeney at the back, Byrne/Robertson and Gowser in front of them, and McGinn, Mulligan, McMullan in front of that.

I like the fact we have a good number of our own youngsters coming through, but there's a lot of inexperience there and I think this is a match where I'd rather have the old heads on the pitch, to begin with at least.

3 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Thank you.

I’d be tempted to try McGee at right back moving Cammy to left where he’s definitely had his best games , Marshall should be no more than back up , Ashcroft and Sweeney in the middle , French as back up , from what I’ve saw so far he’s not fit , breathing out his erse after 20 mins , I’d also play Finn instead of Shaun at moment better range of passing for me , and if McGowan ain’t fit then Lyle should be starting in his place , but this is possibly why I’ve never been a coach