All things Dundee FC

10 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I thought Fin Robertson did well today, especially coming on when he did.  

I know this may upset some but I think Robertson gives much more to the team than Byrne.

Nah, I'm with you on that one.

Jakubiak back to his usual form after his league cup disguise, I just can't bring myself to rate him.

I still think we will win the league but we need to cut out silly mistakes and Marshall was leaving a lot of space down the left, he is ok going forward but that's it.

I have no idea why McMullan was given all the set pieces, although we scored from 2, he wasted so much more.

I know this may upset some but I think Robertson gives much more to the team than Byrne.

Nah, I'm with you on that one.
Jakubiak back to his usual form after his league cup disguise, I just can't bring myself to rate him.
I still think we will win the league but we need to cut out silly mistakes and Marshall was leaving a lot of space down the left, he is ok going forward but that's it.
I have no idea why McMullan was given all the set pieces, although we scored from 2, he wasted so much more.

I agree with all of that. Fin just looks like a player. Young Lyall should have been on for Jakubiak.

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

I agree with all of that. Fin just looks like a player. Young Lyall should have been on for Jakubiak.

I agree with you on Cameron *

He’s got such quick feet and controls the ball so well I thought he would have been ideal for the game the way it was in the second half.

* would someone please disagree?  P&B is not designed for agreement.

Poor in defence and lack of creativity from open play was a worry. Midfield was awful and looked off the pace and inexperienced. Showed spirit but it was basic stuff from set pieces and poor decisions made life a lot harder than it needed to be. Goalkeeper position needs resolved, full backs needed too and have been  for a while. New signing looked like he could be a handful and Rudden would be as well cutting off his left foot! Apart from that, Thistle deserved the win, better team for the first hour and looked pretty well organised and comfortable 

Bowyer saying the right things in the media. Saying it's given him good 'food for thought'. Goes on to say that it was quite good to see the players who have impressed that aren't up for it when the pressure is on and that he knows now that we need more leaders on the pitch like Paul McGowan. Said it was interesting to see which players actually wanted to try and be brave and which didn't and that he's gonna take that on board.

ETA:

Edited by Ludo*1

30 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

When is McGhee expected back?

I'm hoping the lad French is a fullback playing out of position, because from what I've seen of him so far he's miles out of his depth playing centre-half.

Disagree with that. Didn’t do much wrong for me and good on the ball. 

Partick could’ve scored 5 or 6 but we’ve created more than enough to win for me. 

Deflected goal and 2 defensive f**k ups that can easily be sorted. Time running out for Sharp. 

I'm not sold on French or Sharp.

Think as the season goes on we'll be better suited with McGhee/Ashcroft and Sweeney and Legzdins in goal.

Plenty of competition for those spots though which is only a good thing!

First game of the season only so very much early days, however it's difficult not to be realistic in the main.

• Arguably 5 previous seasons of diabolical management and thereby overall a poor standard of player recruitment, many of whom are still at the club.
  • Jury still out and rightly so regarding Gary Bowyer, however early alarm bells are ringing regarding his actual awareness of the level of football he's currently employed in.
  • Not advocating the return of Charlie Adam, however when he was not playing how many postings on here over the previous two seasons highlighted the lack of a points return due to the lack of a creative midfield presence?

In general, as painful as it is obvious, sometimes hard work just isn't enough I'm afraid, although it should always be a given.

If fit and available, Scott Allan would be a creative start plus bin any ideas of further loan signings who are nowt more than development players.

Please don't underestimate the job in hand Mr Bowyer, unproven players from the 4th and 5th tiers of English football in all honesty, just may not improve our lot in any shape or form.

As always, merely my opinion.

Cheers.

Surprised no one has mentioned McGinn. He was the most disappointing for me today. At one point he actually stopped playing when the ball was beside him. Mulligan looks like he’ll be a player. Although couple times it looked like he was going himself too much and either getting tackled or leaving himself an impossible shot instead of squaring it across the box. Although I was at the opposite end of the pitch so I’ll admit I could have that one wrong. Still not convinced by French defensively. most frustrating part was that freekick centre of goal and we chip it towards the corner rather than having a shot. 

17 minutes ago, K.T said:

Surprised no one has mentioned McGinn. He was the most disappointing for me today. At one point he actually stopped playing when the ball was beside him. Mulligan looks like he’ll be a player. Although couple times it looked like he was going himself too much and either getting tackled or leaving himself an impossible shot instead of squaring it across the box. Although I was at the opposite end of the pitch so I’ll admit I could have that one wrong. Still not convinced by French defensively. most frustrating part was that freekick centre of goal and we chip it towards the corner rather than having a shot. 

The freekick was about 35 yards out, McMullan isn’t scoring from there. 

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

I think the same. Got slated last season constantly for saying questioning what everyone sees in Anderson. The game passed him by today, he's a passenger week in week out. Midfield should be McGowan, Mulligan and Robertson. Pace and strength with Robertson and Mulligan and McGowan is consistently good. At least Mulligan and McGowan like to shoot. Can't say the same for Byrne or Anderson. Too early to assess Williamson imo

5 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

I think the same. Got slated last season constantly for saying questioning what everyone sees in Anderson. The game passed him by today, he's a passenger week in week out. Midfield should be McGowan, Mulligan and Robertson. Pace and strength with Robertson and Mulligan and McGowan is consistently good. At least Mulligan and McGowan like to shoot. Can't say the same for Byrne or Anderson. Too early to assess Williamson imo

Spot on.

I've always thought Anderson was a lot of huff and puff and very little footballing ability, but I've held off saying anything because it's not generally well accepted if you slag young players who are youth products, plus I thought he needed a while in the team before he might show just why he was playing regularly at his age. Still not seeing anything from him though. I thought he was definitely the type of player we were lacking when he came into the team, so I can understand why he got the chance in the first place, but it's nearly two years on and I'd have hoped he'd have shown a lot more by now than he actually has.

Robertson I thought looked nowhere near ready for 1st team football in the wee run that he got despite the plaudits he was receiving. Sure, he looked neat and tidy enough, but he wasn't actually contributing anything to the team either defensively or going forwards. If he's grown up a bit since then and can impose himself a bit more on the game then I'm all for giving him another chance.