All things Dundee FC

Could easily pass us back into the premiership, would still be the best footballer in the championship by a country mile. In my humble opinion.
anyone got a stat on how many points we picked up without him last season? 

We struggled to get promoted with him in the team when he was 2 years younger. How has any other team ever got promoted without Charlie?
How many points would we have picked last season with an alternative quality player, receiving Charlie’s wage, who could play football AND run.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

We struggled to get promoted with him in the team when he was 2 years younger. How has any other team ever got promoted without Charlie?
How many points would we have picked last season with an alternative quality player, receiving Charlie’s wage, who could play football AND run.

We may have struggled to get promoted with him in the team but we absolutely would not have got promoted without him. I was disappointed when he wasn’t kept for another season in the championship because he’s miles ahead of anyone else we have or could afford/tempt. I don’t think he was finished at championship level, perhaps another season in the premiership would have been too much but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he would still do a job against most teams in that league. 

We basically picked up no points when he didn’t play which gives me the fear for this season and while I agree about having someone that can run, there’s not exactly an abundance of quality midfielders queuing up at Dens that can offer what Charlie did for the team. 

All about opinions I suppose and he’s not going to be coming back, just have to hope the midfield we have is up to scratch for a title challenge. 

We may have struggled to get promoted with him in the team but we absolutely would not have got promoted without him. I was disappointed when he wasn’t kept for another season in the championship because he’s miles ahead of anyone else we have or could afford/tempt. I don’t think he was finished at championship level, perhaps another season in the premiership would have been too much but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he would still do a job against most teams in that league. 

We basically picked up no points when he didn’t play which gives me the fear for this season and while I agree about having someone that can run, there’s not exactly an abundance of quality midfielders queuing up at Dens that can offer what Charlie did for the team. 

All about opinions I suppose and he’s not going to be coming back, just have to hope the midfield we have is up to scratch for a title challenge. 

It is about opinions but I actually think he cost us points last season, or at least the formation we were forced play to accommodate him and the managers inability to sign players to fit the formation. Either 3,5,2 or 4,5,1.

Adam could’ve been a big player for us this year but I don’t think we will necessarily be suffering without a direct replacement. We have much greater strength on the wings this time around with McGinn, McMullan and McCowan compared to Mcdaid last time so having a midfield full of runners and battlers may be ok.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Greg Stewart is available. Talk of Dunfermline going for him.

Very good. Emma Watson is also available, and there's talk of me going for her. By me, admittedly.

Being more serious though, is he available? I thought he'd signed a deal with Mumbai City to stay in India for another season? Just had a look again and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned since May, so perhaps it collapsed. It wouldn't fully surprise me if he decided to pack in being a star in India to come home, but shirley only a handful of teams here could pay him his worth. If McPake could entice him to the 3rd tier just through their friendship I'll be bloody impressed.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Imo, we need to start looking away from former players. It very rarely works out better the second time round. We didn't succeed with them when they were good for us.

Tbf, we succeeded as well as we have in a good while with Stewart in the team. As for your point though, I would agree in most instances.

Spoiler

image.png.5b9164c71b039dc1111dfacdd4073feb.png

55 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Tbf, we succeeded as well as we have in a good while with Stewart in the team. As for your point though, I would agree in most instances.

Hide contents

image.png.5b9164c71b039dc1111dfacdd4073feb.png

From his Wiki page 🙂

Later on that season, Moussa scored his first brace for Dundee in a 2–1 win against St Johnstone, in their first bottom six fixture.[8] On 31 January 2019, Moussa left Dundee by mutual consent.[9] Moussa has remained a cult figure at the club since his departure due to his hot start and many moments of ineptitude on the pitch thereafter, along with his winning smile.

Moussa, more than any other single player, encapsulates everything that was wrong with the Neil McCann 'era'.

Hell bent on playing a brand of football in a league that didn't permit it, using a group of players that weren't capable of it. 

15 hours ago, mo83 said:

Who do you think will go out on loan from you lot this year? 

Hard to tell at this point really as Bowyer has been giving opportunities to absolutely everyone in the squad.

For definite:

Jack Wilkie - but possibly not ready for anything other than L2 level.

Luke Strachan - Was an important player for Forfar last season but is probably the least likely to break through of our current batch. He's Gordon Strachan's grandson.

Possibles:

Finlay Robertson - Being given a chance this pre-season and looked relatively decent but with McGowan, Williamson, Anderson, Mulligan, Byrne & McGhee all able to play in his position, he'd maybe be best served with a loan deal.

Lyall Cameron - Hard to tell if Bowyer will give him his breakthrough this season, but looked decent in pre-season and scored his first goal for us the other week.

Sam Fisher - Looked more impressive than our other CH that we've just signed on a couple of wee showings so far, but really needs to get regular game time this season as he's been consistently held back by injuries.

Unlikely but still possible:

Harrison Sharp - Started the season as our number 1 but once Legzdins comes back it might be worthwhile getting him somewhere where he's guaranteed a game every week and we insert a clause that we can recall him if Legzdins is out for a period of time. We've got Lawlor as the one off game back-up keeper as is.

Hard to tell at this point really as Bowyer has been giving opportunities to absolutely everyone in the squad.
For definite:
Luke Strachan - Was an important player for Forfar last season but is probably the least likely to break through of our current batch. He's Gordon Strachan's grandson.
Possibles:
Finlay Robertson - Being given a chance this pre-season and looked relatively decent but with McGowan, Williamson, Anderson, Mulligan, Byrne & McGhee all able to play in his position, he'd maybe be best served with a loan deal.
Lyall Cameron - Hard to tell if Bowyer will give him his breakthrough this season, but looked decent in pre-season and scored his first goal for us the other week.
Sam Fisher - Looked more impressive than our other CH that we've just signed on a couple of wee showings so far, but really needs to get regular game time this season as he's been consistently held back by injuries.
Harrison Sharp - Started the season as our number 1 but once Legzdins comes back it might be worthwhile getting him somewhere where he's guaranteed a game every week and we insert a clause that we can recall him if Legzdins is out for a period of time. We've got Lawlor as the one off game back-up keeper as is.
I would have Sharp over Lawlor.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:
For definite:
Possibles:

I would have Sharp over Lawlor.

As would anyone with a brain, don't think that's in question.