All things Dundee FC

Just now, johnnydun said:

This is it, some young players seem to be marketed very well these days without being very stand out at all. Like Josh McPake and Calvin Miller that we have had previously, I put this guy in the same boat. It's a no from me.

Although josh mcpkae didn’t work out he was like 17 and built like a rake should never have been signed but not his fault, if it was now I reckon he’d be a far more effective player 

What Ben Williamson needs, more than anything else, is an agreement with a loan club that he only plays in one position. For his development, he can't spend another season being shunted from 6 to 8 to 10 to out wide. 

Ultimately, though, it's his ability to adequately cover all these positions that makes him an attractive option for the likes of Dundee. If the deal goes through for the full season, he'll make 10 starts, 20+ sub appearances, and he won't win a man of the match or be booed off at any point. 

If I was his agent, I'd be suggesting he drops a level instead and gets a guaranteed start for a Dunfermline or a Falkirk in whichever position he wants to make his own. 

Also a bit more about French too. He's supposedly rapid, with Bowyer thinking he'll be our fastest player.

+

Doesn't mean anything but supposedly his move to Wrexham was paid for out of Reynolds and his mates own pocket too.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecourier.co.uk%2Ffp%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fdundee-fc%2F3470575%2Fwho-is-dundee-tyler-french-incredible-physical-attributes-ryan-reynolds%2F

Edited by locheedee

Getting the vibe that Bowyer doesn't fancy Byrne with the like for like trialist and the reviews this Williamson is getting.

To be honest, for whatever reason, Byrne hasn’t delivered anything like what I thought he would. I wouldn’t mind seeing him go.

6 hours ago, Fifespud said:

To be honest, for whatever reason, Byrne hasn’t delivered anything like what I thought he would. I wouldn’t mind seeing him go.

He was in decent form last season then he got injured and was very poor when he returned. Signed a new contract in Jan so he won't be going anywhere, he'll be an important player for us this season.

Watched Ben Williamson play for Arbroath two seasons ago - he is an outstanding midfield player, he was one of Arbroath's best players ( and we have some great players).

I would expect him to become a fan's favourite  - unsure how things never worked out for him at Livi or Raith, but he is rated very highly by Arbroath fans, I'd be more than happy to see him back at Gayfield.

Think I maybe in the minority here, however over the previous 3 seasons I really struggle and fail to see just what Shaun Byrne brings to our team collective.

Possibly down to the very low standard of manager over that period, however probably down to a very average at best, very lucky to be a full-time footballer, imho.

The high opinions of Gary Bowyer on P&B should and will obviously bring out the best in him I'm sure, he's under contract after all until 2024 according to Wiki.

Please announce Scott Allan as the creative central force, he's by far the best we can aspire to it would appear at this time to supplement our current limitations.

Ta very much.

Watched Ben Williamson play for Arbroath two seasons ago - he is an outstanding midfield player, he was one of Arbroath's best players ( and we have some great players).
I would expect him to become a fan's favourite  - unsure how things never worked out for him at Livi or Raith, but he is rated very highly by Arbroath fans, I'd be more than happy to see him back at Gayfield.
I don't think it's fair to say things never worked out for him with ourselves. He was a good player but he joined us as we where going through our horrendous run of form etc. He is still very raw but does have the ability to be a very good signing at this level imo.

1 hour ago, This Charming Man said:

Think I maybe in the minority here, however over the previous 3 seasons I really struggle and fail to see just what Shaun Byrne brings to our team collective.

Possibly down to the very low standard of manager over that period, however probably down to a very average at best, very lucky to be a full-time footballer, imho.

The high opinions of Gary Bowyer on P&B should and will obviously bring out the best in him I'm sure, he's under contract after all until 2024 according to Wiki.

Please announce Scott Allan as the creative central force, he's by far the best we can aspire to it would appear at this time to supplement our current limitations.

Ta very much.

You’re not alone to a certain extent regards Byrne. Good at sitting in front of the back 4 and getting the ball from them but creates a bigger problem because it doesn’t appear he can play in a midfield 2. Can see why he’s a full time professional though. 

45 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Could punt him tomorrow, would be no loss, give young Finlay the role. IMO.

In fairness Biggie, even James McPake may struggle to sign Byrne in League One. He's already had a free transfer from Dunfermline Athletic iirc.

Kinda hoping the new guy was going to plunder the English market with his alleged considerable knowledge.

Still early days though, the league campaign is everything this year as we know.

Regards.

I really like Byrne but for a ball winning/defence protecting midfielder, he goes hiding far, far too much IMO.

He has added a bit steel into the midfield, not averse to putting the boot in which we’ve completely lacked. Maybe his confidence has been dented but he seems shit scared to make a pass longer than 5 yards, especially forward.
Now we can no longer rely on Charlie playing worldy passes (right decision imo) the midfield needs to play much more as a unit - in all my time watching Dundee we’ve only had brief periods when we’ve consistently managed to do that. Fingers crossed that Gaz is the man with the plan.

Ta very much.

I’m not in the Scotty Allan camp. There’s no doubt he’s a very skilful midfielder, when he’s 95% + fit and on the park, but therein lies the problem. A luxury we can’t afford imo and I’d rather take a chance on Mulligan, Anderson and Robertson, 3 guys who have come up together.

The biggest issue with Byrne under McPake was that he often had another DM beside him in - 2 DMs effectively reduces the creativity and he's the one that tends to get blamed when it's the system used that's the problem.

I think he'd be more effective sitting in front of the defence with 2 more creative players ahead and 2 out wide - then his 5-10 yard passes after winning the ball would be more purposeful.

The biggest issue with Byrne under McPake was that he often had another DM beside him in - 2 DMs effectively reduces the creativity and he's the one that tends to get blamed when it's the system used that's the problem.

I think he'd be more effective sitting in front of the defence with 2 more creative players ahead and 2 out wide - then his 5-10 yard passes after winning the ball would be more purposeful.

Fair and good points. 2 DMs to cover for Adam’s lack of mobility.