All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’d briefly forgot about that. Duffy’s a c**t.

Looking at his wiki, how did he end up manager of Falkirk in 88 for one season and then end up going back to playing football for another 7 seasons?

Edited by K.T

Looking at his wiki, how did he end up manager of Falkirk in 88 for one season and then end up going back to playing football for another 7 seasons?

To be fair he wasn’t quite as good with one leg. Still better than anything we currently have. I also remember when Cammy Fraser returned, similarly afflicted. Cammy’s anger management issues would make Gowser seem like a total pussycat. Cammy was another brilliant player.

Not at all, Legzdins and Sharp are all we need.

I think Legzdins is ok but I really like the look of Sharp. However I’m coming round to the view that 1/2 a season on loan for Sharp would be a good thing. Dump Lawlor in the sea, loan out Sharp and bring someone in for Legzdins to be back up too.

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I think Legzdins is ok but I really like the look of Sharp. However I’m coming round to the view that 1/2 a season on loan for Sharp would be a good thing. Dump Lawlor in the sea, loan out Sharp and bring someone in for Legzdins to be back up too.

If we do loan Sharp out, I would hope of a 'recall at any time' option, if not, I would rather he stayed here.

He left Falkirk over some off-pitch shenanigans from his players iirc, after they narrowly failed to get into the Prem in 88/89. Can't remember the timeline but he tried playing for us again briefly in 89/90, was binned to Partick (he played for them in our wild 6-2 away win there) then ended up back at us a player. He was still class but just couldn't turn as well as he used to. Stand out for me was a 1-0 win at Tannadice in 92 (him and Alan Dinnie were ridiculously good at the back in a game where we had about 20% possession).

I was gutted when he left for Hibs but didn't blame him. Dixon selling every good player he had for buttons and trousering the money must have been soul destroying.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Duffy paid players out of his own pocket and acted as a kit man whilst player manager as well.

He also stuck by us during the first admin despite the fact Partick Thistle were offering him more stability, a job closer to home and let's be honest, probably an easier/more cushty job at the time.

He might not be the best manager in the world but will not hear a word against him. Love the guy.

Pure class, on and off the pitch.

Assistant Manager should have been his post-playing career choice though…

The mid-90s Duffy era was probably my favourite time following Dundee tbh. Back then I went to every home game and most away games on the Bowbridge Bar's bus. You could basically take in the game, get pished and get a fish supper at that dodgy chippy in the Seagate for about £20. Glorious.

He brought through some cracking players and we played good stuff, got to one League Cup final then a semi-final and despite Ron Dixon almost running the club into the ground there were some great times and great games. I know a lot of fans blamed Duffy for the final defeat to Aberdeen, or rather the manner of it, but tbh the whole team bottled it and as a manager that's hard.

The cup run that season, and indeed the following season's one were absolutely brilliant. I'm still gutted that the derby win at Tannadice wasn't on TV 😂

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The mid-90s Duffy era was probably my favourite time following Dundee tbh. Back then I went to every home game and most away games on the Bowbridge Bar's bus. You could basically take in the game, get pished and get a fish supper at that dodgy chippy in the Seagate for about £20. Glorious.

He brought through some cracking players and we played good stuff, got to one League Cup final then a semi-final and despite Ron Dixon almost running the club into the ground there were some great times and great games. I know a lot of fans blamed Duffy for the final defeat to Aberdeen, or rather the manner of it, but tbh the whole team bottled it and as a manager that's hard.

The cup run that season, and indeed the following season's one were absolutely brilliant. I'm still gutted that the derby win at Tannadice wasn't on TV 😂

Ya see I’m only 26 my memory heyday was the challenge cup win, which was up til this season known as the tunnocks caramel water cup where we scrapped a win against 3-2 other than that I’ve very slim pickings of “cup runs, great players, or cracking games” 😩

special mentions of the deefiant season and our promotion last season where we celebrated like mad finishing 2nd like 20 points behind hertz

24 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Ya see I’m only 26 my memory heyday was the challenge cup win, which was up til this season known as the tunnocks caramel water cup where we scrapped a win against 3-2 other than that I’ve very slim pickings of “cup runs, great players, or cracking games” 😩

special mentions of the deefiant season and our promotion last season where we celebrated like mad finishing 2nd like 20 points behind hertz

Winning the league in 2014 for me (23 for context). Hope we can replicate it this season, maybe even complete the Diddy Double™ too.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I was going to post 'presumably you never saw Jim Duffy play?' as well.

JD used to stroll through games. Not because he was lazy or because of a lack of athleticism, he was simply on a different level in terms of reading the flow of the game so never had to break sweat to be in the right position at the right time. He wasn't the same after his injury unfortunately, but prior to that I think he was as good a player as any of the CH's turning out for Scotland at the time. He was a bit unfortunate that he played in the era of Narey, McLeish, Miller, Hansen etc so he would never get a look in, but oddly enough, I think because of his mental attributes the generally slower pace and more cultured environment in International football would have suited him to a tee. 

I disagree about Nemsadze being better than Caniggia. Two totally different types of player, and while I'm a huge GN fan and don't believe the size of his talent was generally appreciated in Scotland, Caniggia is still by far and away the only Dundee player I've seen where time and time again he made me think 'What the hell is this guy doing here? He's on a different level altogether and far too good to be playing in Scotland'. 

There was a game at Tynecastle where Caniggia spent the whole match casually jogging back to the half-way line every time a Dundee attack broke down. It looked enormously lazy, then he showed exactly why that's the way he was. The ball was punted about 60 yards out of our box. As soon as it was hit, CC took off like an olympic sprinter, left the entire Hearts defence for dead. Without breaking stride, he watched the ball drop over his shoulder, killed it stone dead with his instep and carried on. It's still the most outrageous display of natural ability I've witnessed on a football pitch.