All things Dundee FC

As much as Charlie Adam was by far our best player and the reason we gained so many points, he largely throttled the side and forced us to play with a 3 man midfield and one up top.

With McMullan, McCowan & McGinn our wide options are absolutely deadly compared to what we had the last time in the Championship which was McDaid & McGowan.

We have Mulligan breaking through adding more energy to the midfield.

We have an upgraded goalkeeper in Legzdins compared to Hamilton.

We have on paper, a more potent striker in Rudden than we did in Mullen.

Our defence has worked together now for multiple seasons and has the ability to go from two hammer throwing types in Ashcroft & Sweeney to pairing one of them with the more mobile and ball-playing McGhee whom let's not forget was pretty much our PotY when he was CH in the Championship.

Yes, we do need additions, but I don't think our squad is in a terrible place right now. Few key additions should see this be a stroll. I realise it's Dundee and it'll never be a stroll but the standard of this league this season looks set to be at an all time low. No reason why we can't. It might not be pretty on the eye but results are what matters.

Bowyer can't afford to make mistakes in his incomings though as they'll be the difference makers IMO.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Canadian team. Seems like a Nelms signing.

It'll be tough for the lad to follow in Nicky Hamilton's footsteps imo...

In all seriousness, boy looks a decent punt if we're really in for him. Think he could go to County though. Another CPL player is rumoured with them, midfielder Victor Loturi (who is apparently Akio's brother?), so maybe we might be looking at him too? Pure speculation on my part tbh, but I'd be curious in Akio, it's the exact kind of out-of-nowhere rumour I love.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

30 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

it's the exact kind of out-of-nowhere rumour I love

Yeah, it's 3 folk in Canada, (one a Celtic fan though) who name Dundee as the potential team. Must be something in that at least.

30 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, it's 3 folk in Canada, (one a Celtic fan though) who name Dundee as the potential team. Must be something in that at least.

I do like the thought of it. Had a look at his Instagram though, and he's recently followed the SPFL and Ross County, so I think he'll be heading Dingwall-bound.

9 hours ago, locheedee said:

Exactly what could he have got out of doing that?

"He's more than likely out for the season" would have sufficed and if he was back sooner then it would have been a bonus.

Man literally struggles with the basics of just about everything.

On 18/06/2022 at 12:46, Dundee-FC92 said:

Disagree. 

On the face of it going up is the be all and end all however If we take the previous campaign under McPake we can see where the flaws are in this way of thinking. 

We were absolutely pathetic for the majority of the season and people like Mullen and Fontaine were roundly criticised for being non-footballers. We scraped into second spot and managed to put in our best performances of the season in the play off games (largely down to Charlie Adam). 

I'm quite disappointed in myself that initially after promotion i let myself think we might be stronger than the season had shown but we were quickly reminded of the standard of player we had throughout last years shambles. 

What's essential this season along with getting promoted is Bowyer showing us some tactical nause, the development of Sharp, Mulligan, Anderson and Robertson who is on his final chance along with bringing in players who are competent at this level and can step up if we are promoted so we're not the whipping boys of the league. 

There's a reason we always look the worst team in the league against the Old Firm and never pick up points at the likes of Pittodrie and it's because we always have players in our squad who are good enough for the Championship but not the top league. 

Promotion with the aim of at least seven/eight first team players ready to go for season 23/24; the planning has to begin now. We'll get nowhere with short sighted signings and putting all our hopes in withering players such as Paul McGowan. 

Make no mistakes though, failing to get promoted this season will be a disaster. 

Thank you. 

A massive issue are these clauses in the contracts that see players get another year automatically if we get promoted or if they’ve played in so many games. Knock them on the head and tell players you either want to play here or not and that it’s up to them to prove to the manager they’re good enough if promotion has been gained. 

It’s the most positive I’ve been about the club since Hartley’s 2nd year in charge. Here we are though 4 shite managerial appointments down the line and finally a manager in place that appears to have a decent standing in the game.