All things Dundee FC

14 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Been told Bowyer is keen to bring Matty Willock with him to Dens.

Thank you.

If this is true, it could be quite worrying. Does Bowyer think that Scottish football is a poorer level than what it actually is?

Last season we had...

A Canadian international who can't get a sniff

A player who struggled to get a game, who has just been a signing for Cardiff.

A loaned championship player from Luton Town who couldn't get a game.

A loand championship player from Bournemouth who couldn't get a game.

But, I stress, if this is indeed true, he thinks that a signing that has just been released from the 4th tier of English football is good enough for us, then he is sadly mistaken.

I know this all sounds really pessimistic, but we have all followed this club long enough to know that a calamity is just waiting round the corner.

The laddie might be an exceptional talent, but looking at his career, I somehow doubt it.

12 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

If this is true, it could be quite worrying. Does Bowyer think that Scottish football is a poorer level than what it actually is?

Last season we had...

A Canadian international who can't get a sniff

A player who struggled to get a game, who has just been a signing for Cardiff.

A loaned championship player from Luton Town who couldn't get a game.

A loand championship player from Bournemouth who couldn't get a game.

But, I stress, if this is indeed true, he thinks that a signing that has just been released from the 4th tier of English football is good enough for us, then he is sadly mistaken.

I know this all sounds really pessimistic, but we have all followed this club long enough to know that a calamity is just waiting round the corner.

The laddie might be an exceptional talent, but looking at his career, I somehow doubt it.

Jeezy peeps, chill out Johnny. It's just one name, and just about the most obvious one someone could say since he was Bowyer's players before. The lad's played at the Premiership level up here before with decent results not too long ago. He seems a solid enough player, and from what I've seen of fans of his teams there's not been much negative to say about him. I'm sceptical of if he'd be brought up, but he's hardly worth worrying about.

Also fwiw, we're in the Championship, and EFL League Two players will probably do fine at this level, more than fine in fact. Did you view Sweeney the same way? He was released from a 4th tier English side before we signed him, now he's our player of the year. Considering the money at play in England, the Scottish Championship is roughly equivalent to the EFL League Two, so it's hardly a factor worth worrying about imo.

If anything, the only issue I'd have is that he seems to have a bit of the injury bug. Still half-doubt he'd be a player Bowyer wants up here and that he's just the most obvious names to pull out, but I don't think there would be any issue if he did.

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Jeezy peeps, chill out Johnny. It's just one name, and just about the most obvious one someone could say since he was Bowyer's players before. The lad's played at the Premiership level up here before with decent results not too long ago. He seems a solid enough player, and from what I've seen of fans of his teams there's not been much negative to say about him. I'm sceptical of if he'd be brought up, but he's hardly worth worrying about.

Also fwiw, we're in the Championship, and EFL League Two players will probably do fine at this level, more than fine in fact. Did you view Sweeney the same way? He was released from a 4th tier English side before we signed him, now he's our player of the year. Considering the money at play in England, the Scottish Championship is roughly equivalent to the EFL League Two, so it's hardly a factor worth worrying about imo.

If anything, the only issue I'd have is that he seems to have a bit of the injury bug. Still half-doubt he'd be a player Bowyer wants up here and that he's just the most obvious names to pull out, but I don't think there would be any issue if he did.

Aye, fair enough.

I guess I have just been conditioned into this skeptical mindset over the years. I just want a competent manager and organised team that will confidently win this league at a canter (like we should do). But there's always this voice in my head saying "We will no doubt f**k this up and scrape 4th".

Soz for the negativity.

14 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Aye, fair enough.

I guess I have just been conditioned into this skeptical mindset over the years. I just want a competent manager and organised team that will confidently win this league at a canter (like we should do). But there's always this voice in my head saying "We will no doubt f**k this up and scrape 4th".

Soz for the negativity.

Even if we scrape 4th and go up via a play-off it'll be success enough.  As we saw last season, getting up has become the easy(ier) part since the play-offs came in, making sure we have a squad good enough to stay up will be the challenge.

Just now, hk blues said:

Even if we scrape 4th and go up via a play-off it'll be success enough.  As we saw last season, getting up has become the easy(ier) part since the play-offs came in, making sure we have a squad good enough to stay up will be the challenge.

Nah, surly we have to at least win this league in order for it to be deemed a success? We are the 'biggest' club in it, with the largest budget. Anything less than top spot for me this season will be a failure in some way.

Just now, johnnydun said:

Nah, surly we have to at least win this league in order for it to be deemed a success? We are the 'biggest' club in it, with the largest budget. Anything less than top spot for me this season will be a failure in some way.

"At least win this league" -  FFS mate, what can we do to trump winning it?

Joking apart, I can see the argument but for me going up is the only goal and as long as we achieve that it's job done. 

Just now, hk blues said:

Joking apart, I can see the argument but for me going up is the only goal and as long as we achieve that it's job done. 

Sorry, I meant if we at least win it on Goal Difference, rather than at a canter.

Did you find the season before last comfortable viewing? I know Hearts were in the league but imo we should've been more clear in 2nd or even pushed them a wee bit. I totally get what you're saying, I just think getting to the risk of the play offs is not a successful outcome this season.

Just now, johnnydun said:

Sorry, I meant if we at least win it on Goal Difference, rather than at a canter.

Did you find the season before last comfortable viewing? I know Hearts were in the league but imo we should've been more clear in 2nd or even pushed them a wee bit. I totally get what you're saying, I just think getting to the risk of the play offs is not a successful outcome this season.

Understood.

In many ways the season before last was worse than last, we struggled from the off and but for a purple patch at just the right time we'd probably be in the top league now!  I'm a fan of the play-offs and happy to be in them as long as we prevail!  

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Full of energy, fairly quick for a CM and decent on the ball. Probably similar to Max Anderson tbh.

Not a clue how he's done in England. 

I thought you do the usual and slaughter him. Thought he was a handful against us with both Saintees. 

Decent start if he signs. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Disagree. 

On the face of it going up is the be all and end all however If we take the previous campaign under McPake we can see where the flaws are in this way of thinking. 

We were absolutely pathetic for the majority of the season and people like Mullen and Fontaine were roundly criticised for being non-footballers. We scraped into second spot and managed to put in our best performances of the season in the play off games (largely down to Charlie Adam). 

I'm quite disappointed in myself that initially after promotion i let myself think we might be stronger than the season had shown but we were quickly reminded of the standard of player we had throughout last years shambles. 

What's essential this season along with getting promoted is Bowyer showing us some tactical nause, the development of Sharp, Mulligan, Anderson and Robertson who is on his final chance along with bringing in players who are competent at this level and can step up if we are promoted so we're not the whipping boys of the league. 

There's a reason we always look the worst team in the league against the Old Firm and never pick up points at the likes of Pittodrie and it's because we always have players in our squad who are good enough for the Championship but not the top league. 

Promotion with the aim of at least seven/eight first team players ready to go for season 23/24; the planning has to begin now. We'll get nowhere with short sighted signings and putting all our hopes in withering players such as Paul McGowan. 

Make no mistakes though, failing to get promoted this season will be a disaster. 

Thank you. 

Disagree. 
On the face of it going up is the be all and end all however If we take the previous campaign under McPake we can see where the flaws are in this way of thinking. 
We were absolutely pathetic for the majority of the season and people like Mullen and Fontaine were roundly criticised for being non-footballers. We scraped into second spot and managed to put in our best performances of the season in the play off games (largely down to Charlie Adam). 
I'm quite disappointed in myself that initially after promotion i let myself think we might be stronger than the season had shown but we were quickly reminded of the standard of player we had throughout last years shambles. 
What's essential this season along with getting promoted is Bowyer showing us some tactical nause, the development of Sharp, Mulligan, Anderson and Robertson who is on his final chance along with bringing in players who are competent at this level and can step up if we are promoted so we're not the whipping boys of the league. 
There's a reason we always look the worst team in the league against the Old Firm and never pick up points at the likes of Pittodrie and it's because we always have players in our squad who are good enough for the Championship but not the top league. 
Promotion with the aim of at least seven/eight first team players ready to go for season 23/24; the planning has to begin now. We'll get nowhere with short sighted signings and putting all our hopes in withering players such as Paul McGowan. 
Make no mistakes though, failing to get promoted this season will be a disaster. 
Thank you. 

Totally agree with all that. I’m also demanding we play with a bit of flair and entertainment. It’s been fucking brutal for years now and after 40 years of being a very committed fan I’m getting totally pissed off with shite.

I think getting Jack Ross would’ve been a coup. But if his choice was between us, where anything less than winning the league would be deemed a failure, or United where he gets a free hit at European football and can get away with finishing 9th or above, then I can understand why he turned us down. I think Bowyer is a sensible appointment by the board though and could be more of a success in the long run. It could go totally fucking sideways if he underestimates the league, but even if that happens I can still understand why he was appointed in the first place - which I couldn’t with Mcghee, McPake, McIntyre and McCann.

Edited by K.T

1 hour ago, K.T said:

I think getting Jack Ross would’ve been a coup. But if his choice was between us, where anything less than winning the league would be deemed a failure, or United where he gets a free hit at European football and can get away with finishing 9th or above, then I can understand why he turned us down. I think Bowyer is a sensible appointment by the board though and could be more of a success in the long run. It could go totally fucking sideways if he underestimates the league, but even if that happens I can still understand why he was appointed in the first place - which I couldn’t with Mcghee, McPake, McIntyre and McCann.

You honestly think he'll keep his job at Utd finishing 9th? Who said he turned us down, i thought Nelms said we never actually offered anybody else the job?

1 hour ago, rhumbaclub said:

You honestly think he'll keep his job at Utd finishing 9th? Who said he turned us down, i thought Nelms said we never actually offered anybody else the job?

You could be right there with him not being offered the job, I’m just going on what the gossip was at the time. I do think he’ll get cut more slack at United. Can’t see them finishing that low, depends how shite Aberdeen, Hibs etc are again. 

15 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Disagree. 

Thank you. 

First of all, I'll clarify that my point was only that going up as champions should be viewed as a success is too simplistic for me - we were a very average Championship side who went up via a purple patch and subsequently looked like an average Championship side all last season. So, I'm just not confident that we've any grounds to think we'll scoosh this league other than the usual big fish/small pond argument which failed us so many times in the past.

A 2nd point is that, IMO, we didn't get relegated because we had a (relatively) poor Championship but because we failed to upgrade the squad for the big league. I'd expect us to upgrade our squad regardless of walking the league or winning the play-offs. 

In short, my thinking is this season is a means to an end and how we improve the squad if we were to go up is more important than how easily we achieve promotion. 

For the avoidance of doubt- I think we should be looking to go up as champions but I'll not lose sleep if we don't.