All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

My dad is in his 90s and still talks about the Cologne game in particular from time to time.  He’s got dementia now but he still seems to remember the great games he has seen and the great times he has experienced following Dundee.  Makes me proud to support Dundee no matter how bad we are these days.

Similar here mate. My Dad was off getting shot at in some arsehole end of the world but my granda, his father in law was there and my dad spoke of getting it described to him in the letters he got from him.

Years ago now but those days and the guys up in the high stand now are why I'm a Dee til I die no matter how shite things are at times

My old man was one of that generation as well, the jammy c**t. He saw Billy Steel's debut, the League cup win against Rangers, the title win at Muirton and all the home European Cup games in 62-63. It's wild to think it now, but after the Anderlecht QF he was one of many who genuinely believed Dundee could win the thing.

It's probably no longer on sale, but there's fantastic stories from the players at the time in "Dundee Greats". Well worth a read if you can get it.

47 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Jakubiak.... Partick fans didn't seem to rate him. I still don't know what position he plays in and by sounds of it neither does Partick fans 

From what I read, they didn't seem to mind him. Maybe a bit more bitter now after the play-offs though.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

From what I read, they didn't seem to mind him. Maybe a bit more bitter now after the play-offs though.

He got that scout report by asking one Partick fan immediately after losing yesterday, FYI.

From what I've seen they think pretty similarly to ourselves; decent on the ball and on buildup play, but his lack of scoring is too noticeable in his position up front. Reckon he needs to play more in a CAM role imo

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

My understanding.... he runs about which we knew. Maybe wins some tackles...isn't a goal scorer so again I'm not sure where we would play him.

He'd probably be best as a Forrest Gump winger, but seems like hes determined he's more than that so he'll never do it well.

24 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

My understanding.... he runs about which we knew. Maybe wins some tackles...isn't a goal scorer so again I'm not sure where we would play him.

Just off the striker. In the position Paul McGowan had a good wee spell in this season.

Where can I see you and Ross' wee debate?

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Just off the striker. In the position Paul McGowan had a good wee spell in this season.

Where can I see you and Ross' wee debate?

Could be an idea. Winger maybe not a bad idea. Again have no idea tbh. However what we do know is not a striker. Or his career certainly suggests he isn't a goalscorer.

Optimism thread. For some reason he took a disliking to one of my posts. No wee debate as you suggested.

Think we can all be in agreement next season will give us a bit more happiness as Dundee fans 😀. Just pray a new manager we have fairly soon to bring in some good players. 

Fed up of Rory Loy saying we were promoted a year ahead of plan. Our plan was to get out of the division the season before when up against United. To not even have a title challenge and the league to be wrapped up by Christmas was very poor. You'll not find a fan upset we got rid of McPake. It's the timing that was the only issue. But he's just going on budgets, ignoring that our managers are still very well backed and with the addition of the play-offs, it'd have been untenable for the manager in the fans' eyes should we not have got up after 2 seasons. Many wanted McPake out that season. Not another go at it FFS!

17 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Could be a lovely championship for away days the way things are going just now; we could have Arbroath, Montrose and the fermers, as well as cove. Obviously Perth is a shithole, but nice and easy to visit…

Aye but the following season, Alloa, Peterhead and Dumbarton not so great.

42 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Could be a lovely championship for away days the way things are going just now; we could have Arbroath, Montrose and the fermers, as well as cove.

On the other hand, Greenock...

45 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Could be a lovely championship for away days the way things are going just now; we could have Arbroath, Montrose and the fermers, as well as cove. Obviously Perth is a shithole, but nice and easy to visit…

Enjoy your Friday night travels then. Not many Saturdays away when you’re the big team at the seaside. What a difference a year makes lads -👋