All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, captainkev said:

As bad as that was, it's not a patch on the 6-1 Falkirk game. That's real rock bottom territory.

I still lord my DAB pal over Kris Boyd putting 5 past United. Really need new material. Verging on about 2 decades FFS.

49 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Worth posting pictures of them on the thread bud. That's just me being nosey and wanting to see Dundee pictures though!

Odd interjection but my mum and dad have a signed & framed Charlie Cooke photo, id need to double check but i think hes in a dundee strip in it. Cant even remember how they ended up with it, ha. Pretty sure it's still be in the cupboard in my old bedroom at my mum and dads house, if i mind next time im up that way ill try and look it out for the thread.

4 hours ago, Crawford said:

I know it's supposed to be the Arabs moment, but I think everyone stopped caring a long time ago.

Somewhere between Christmas and McGhee being announced was the time but you missed it.

@Mr. Alli will give it a shot I'm sure. A true man of the people.

It's funny, but I just can't feel any sort of disappointment at this season at all. It's not just inherent negativity, on the whole I'm a moderately optimistic person, it's just because of the resignation when it became apparent back in September that nobody of any sort of seniority at the club appeared to be remotely concerned about the fact our manager was clueless, and openly stated that as far as he was concerned this was a better squad than the ones Hartley assembled and there were no concerns at all about their ability to stay up. I get trying to stay positive about the squad and I wouldn't expect any manager to slate his players at the start of a season, but I don't think McPake is actually that bright, and he was being genuine with that claim, ridiculous as it was.

When we added virtually nothing to a squad that bumbled their way out of the Championship, and we still kept McPake at the helm, it was pretty damned obvious what the situation was going to be come Spring/Early summer. I would have regarded it as a miracle had we stayed up this season, and the only thing I am surprised about is that we are not yet mathematically down with 3 matches still to play. That says more about how fucking dreadful St Johnstone have also been though than it does anything positive about our own performance. 

I think it's perfectly normal to be completely apathetic about an entire season when your club does absolutely nothing that suggests it's even attempting to stay up in August/September. It will be exactly the same for me if we go and make another ridiculous managerial appointment, add nothing to the squad, and are languishing in 4th or 5th in the Championship come Christmas. Shite in = Shite out, I don't know why anyone would expect anything different.

Edited by Boo Khaki

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Get McGhee out now and let Charlie Adam, Liam Fontaine, Dave Mackay or bloody Alan Combe manage the last couple of dead rubbers and announce that Ross will be manager next season and instantly the place will get a lift.

Would there be much chance of Ross coming?

9 hours ago, Hendo said:

I believe Ross was a boyhood Dundee fan, so there might be an emotional pull. However, no disrespect but your club looks like a bit of a basket case at the moment - Ross is more likely to be looking for his next job to be somewhere he can rebuild his reputation- I doubt Dens will be the place to do it.

I don't know, Dens could just be the place to do it.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't know, Dens could just be the place to do it.

Hartley was being touted for English Championship jobs after having taken us up to top 6 in the Premiership, so it's not like Ross would have to be challenging the Old Firm to rehabilitate his reputation.

There's no expectation at Dens at the moment, and given how pathetic the performance of the club has been in general over the past 40-50 years, anyone who was able to get us back up and looking like a stable, comfortable Premiership side would be given a fair bit of kudos. If you look at Dundee's performance since the relegation in the 70's, generally speaking when we've had a competent manager the club has performed pretty much as you'd expect, and when we've not we've tanked. I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong with Dundee that means we are doomed to perpetual mediocrity, we've just appointed far, far too many hopeless managers down the years. The reasonably competent ones have gotten on ok, so I see no reason why Ross couldn't be relatively successful.

Whether he'd fancy it and whether we would be able to meet his terms is, I grant you, a totally different question.

f5f9e9a29f1a8509dccafe79c023088e.jpg
12555c0a3d99061a0e02110743cd0dc8.jpg
57f24a350dc70a34c5e568599fa1f945.jpg
6f051effc5ce18c0c6d4dfcb228e4d85.jpg
a7e0350fd654f98863584204e3cacf10.jpg
18730fd1cc3a94c2a3f532e73005f370.jpg
96c673970de9108f6927e27de9dc541f.jpg
8c3caeae24e823154cdff272f5d36c43.jpg

Apologies for the shitey angle the photos were taken at, but that’s them here. Some of the frames have wee chips out of them but as far as I can see the glass on all of them is intact, and they really just need a good dust and polish which will be done if someone wants to buy them.

Also@johnnydun I can’t seem to get DM’s on the mobile app so will get on a desktop soon and get back to you, cheers.

13 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

How far back are we willing to go for the sake of pettiness?

image.png.8a8d0af76b7bf578c6ccceb7a5abcc37.png

(Cheers @Mark Connolly)

We get pumped by Dumbarton all the time. As recently as 17/18 season and twice in 16/17.

The first 2016 one produced as fine a drunken heads gone as I have ever mustered at Full Time as I screamed in Sean Dillons face to get them in the dressing room and "start bangin pusses". He left for Montrose shortly after. 

I'm keeping my powder dry on your record against Cowdenbeath until they are relegated. 

41 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Will your lot spend heavily for another Championship fight next season? At least Rudden knows this division  

Yes

On 30/04/2022 at 21:13, Ludo*1 said:

Unless he goes down South, then there's not much of a selection for him like Stephen Robinson has found out when he left Motherwell and said he'd only join a Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Celtic or Rangers if he returned to Scotland.

Where did Robinson say this?

I'm not doubting you, it just sounds very funny.

19 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong with Dundee that means we are doomed to perpetual mediocrity, we've just appointed far, far too many hopeless managers down the years.

I make this point regularly in response to claims of clubs needing a "root and branch clear out" or similar. The largest factor in poor results is nearly always manager incompetence. For example, the difference between Hearts two years ago and Hearts now is that Levein was shite and Stendel was even worse while Neilson is excellent. Then with my club Livi, us fans have just completely lucked out that a few years ago a chairman came along who makes very wise decisions on managers. 

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Pretty sure one of his interviews he went better than that and said he'd only come back to Scotland for a top three, title challenge job. 

On 30/04/2022 at 21:13, Ludo*1 said:

Unless he goes down South, then there's not much of a selection for him like Stephen Robinson has found out when he left Motherwell and said he'd only join a Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Celtic or Rangers if he returned to Scotland.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm not doubting you, it just sounds very funny.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Pretty sure one of his interviews he went better than that and said he'd only come back to Scotland for a top three, title challenge job. 

I don't think he actually explicitly said "the only jobs I'd consider are Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen" or whatever. Was it not more implied when he was talking about Motherwell having reached their ceiling?

"I just thought the time was right for me personally to go. I didn't believe I could take the club any further.

"I was desperate for a new training ground. I was desperate for infrastructure to improve, but there isn't a magic wand, without money that's very difficult to do.

"I felt the club had reached the ceiling of where we could go.

"Personally I don't believe Motherwell will finish any higher than third.

"A top six finish and a cup run is what the club should be aiming for and arguably we over-achieved by reaching two cup finals and the third place finish.

"When you are bringing in £6million for the sale of young players and not spending any transfer fees when you sell them on it's very difficult to replicate time and again."

"I am not [Man City boss] Pep Guardiola and if an opportunity comes along at what I feel is the right football club with people and a similar mindset to Motherwell then that would be appealing.

"I would be very keen to move to the right club. Whether it's Scotland or England I don't think that's important, so long as it's the right club."

Link

He definitely overestimated his stock though.

He admitted as much in that YouTube video he did with the Bournemouth fans podcast that I posted in our thread the other week where he admitted he'd applied for that job twice, the first time while he was still with us.

The gist of what he said was that he realised taking Motherwell to 3rd didn't have anything like the pull in terms of opening doors he expected.

On 01/05/2022 at 11:33, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Will your lot spend heavily for another Championship fight next season? At least Rudden knows this division  

I'd hold of gloating until Dundee are confirmed as down, tbh.

Our performance/result/aftermath at the weekend reeks of a club that's chucked it. Dundee are playing better and should get rewarded with a win soon, and then it's close again.