All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

So it's worrying is we keep this squad and if we start from scratch? I don't know how else to ease your mind lol

Best case scenario in my mind is we get a good manager in for once, get rid of some deadwood and improve in all areas, win the league and start from scratch a la Hartley in 2014.

I'm sure it will go nowhere close as well to this, but disappointment hasn't happened yet so I'll keep some hope.

I'd have wished we got rid of most of the squad for next season. However this is not reality unless we have the money to pay off players contracts like already mentioned. 

Getting a good manager for once would be nice, you won't see anyone disagreeing.

Cove Is my destination for next season or certainly only game I want to get too. 

30 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Question - Any of yous think McPake would have kept Dundee up (or at least finished 11th to give you a chance in the playoffs) if given a full season? 

As an outsider, the way he was punted seemed really odd and tapping up McGhee to replace him seemed like a wild choice that was never going to work out. But obviously I wasn't watching McPake's team week in week out.

No snide intentions btw, just curious.

No chance IMHO. Dreadful manager.  He built a team out of balance, apparently picking up ‘names’ with little consideration how they would fit in the team.

I also found him completely dull and lacking any motivation in his press comments / interviews.  Heaven knows how the players felt when he spoke to them.

In fact, just thinking about him, heaven knows I’m miserable now.

50 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Question - Any of yous think McPake would have kept Dundee up (or at least finished 11th to give you a chance in the playoffs) if given a full season? 

As an outsider, the way he was punted seemed really odd and tapping up McGhee to replace him seemed like a wild choice that was never going to work out. But obviously I wasn't watching McPake's team week in week out.

I think he would've done a better job than McGhee has, but I still think we were headed downwards regardless. The timing of the sacking was absurd though, waiting until any incoming manager would be as ineffective as possible to replace McPake is just beyond stupid, when any time between October to January was the time to do so.

7 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

My issue with this is..... we are keeping these players and say we do win the league.... this squad we already know are not good enough for top flight football. 

I disagree however with keeping players, this squad is terrible but majority are all signed up anyway for next season so dosnt really matter. 

I'd rather be building a team we can carry on to the SPFL. 

Feel for whatever manager comes in as he is already stuck with most of the squad. 

Yes, but I look at it in the sense that we have three transfer windows before we are expecting to play Premiership football again, so rather than making 10+ changes to the squad right now and taking until February to get our shit together, four or five out now, a couple in, a couple more in/out in January, then more changes next summer, and you are looking at potentially 8 or 9 new 1st choice players supplemented by the better ones already in the squad by the time we are playing Premiership football once again.

You can totally revamp the team, but I don't think it has to be done all at once. I don't think that's realistic or the best way to go about it either. You'll invariably just lumber yourself with yet more players who really aren't up to it, just because you've gutted the squad and need bodies in.

Edited by Boo Khaki

6 hours ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Not a chance in hell

On 25/04/2022 at 15:18, johnnydun said:

Now don't shoot the messenger, and let's face it, everyone loves a rumour, especially a good one....

I have heard that Nelms has been in regular contact with Jack Ross and the reason he was never going to replace McPake this season is because he didn't want to risk a relegation on his CV. He is looking to take over next season.

Allegedly mind!

I'm heading over to Keyes' mansion this weekend for a lake party, so I'll see if I can get to the bottom of this.

8 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yes, but I look at it in the sense that we have three transfer windows before we are expecting to play Premiership football again, so rather than making 10+ changes to the squad right now and taking until February to get our shit together, four or five out now, a couple in, a couple more in/out in January, then more changes next summer, and you are looking at potentially 8 or 9 new 1st choice players supplemented by the better ones already in the squad by the time we are playing Premiership football once again.

Are you expecting we will pay off players who are still under contract for another year ? 

2 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Are you expecting we will pay off players who are still under contract for another year ? 

It wouldn't be a new thing under Nelms tbf.

23 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Not in this window coming, no, but by January I think there may well be a few with 4-5 months remaining on their contracts who are not playing, and may well accept an offer to void the remainder and move on.

I'm not in any disagreement with people who think the squad overall is poor and full of players we should be looking to move on from, my take on it thought is that it would likely do more harm than good on the pitch to just gut the squad in one fell swoop, and as is being pointed out, that doesn't appear to be a viable financial option anyway. There is an opportunity to do a complete overhaul though if you look at it from the perspective that we have over a year, and three windows, to complete it.

The other caveat is that if we can finally make a credible, sensible managerial appointment, I don't think we'll have as much of an issue recruiting players as we appear to have had over the past couple of years. I genuinely think the stench about the place and the lack of a respected manager will have put a lot of potential signings right off, although I concede that getting the likes of Cummings and Adam to come here may well have been in part down to McPake himself.

Edited by Boo Khaki

16 hours ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Yes I think he would’ve made the play offs , we’d have beaten saints on Saturday, but Billy Dodds Caly would’ve beat us in the play offs , hard to think what’s worse going straight down or Doddies putting us DOON 

2 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Love and respect, 60 years ago today "The Immortals" made history.

009__034__features__Dundee_main__1335447913_standard.jpg.939b1564f6a69a95b99ec4e1f8d0b81d.jpg 

The courier have an article online with some unseen photos today too.

Also has a link to the footage of the game if anyone fancies a watch

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/past-times/3235823/dundee-fc-title-photographs/

6 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

I'm heading over to Keyes' mansion this weekend for a lake party, so I'll see if I can get to the bottom of this.

He’s over here (down in London) signing off of on the finance for the new stadium apparently. If you could spray paint Jack Ross IN at his mansion that’s should still suffice 👍