All things Dundee FC

36 minutes ago, The Derry said:

I'm busy 6-7 can we please make it 8pm?

Can't promise anything. I've already pre booked a celebratory waffle and milkshake for 6:30pm and the sugar coma would slow me down. 

You survive this time. 

2 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

Mad how incredibly wrong people can be about some things. 

Majority of people thought we would finish 10th which I thought was mental. Only prediction ingot correct was us to finish bottom or second bottom. Now we have the same squad more or less for next season.  No shock for where we are finishing this season.

Only plus side for myself for next season is I will be looking to go to Cove away as havnt been there. 

I'm interested to see if any of the players who have been out on loan are good enough for the first team , can't be any more shite than what we already have. Robertson needs punted out on loan next season. Didn't get much game time at Cove and since he has been back at us I'm unsure how much game time he has had. 

Whatever manager we have will be stuck with the same players so I feel for them. 

Roll on next season 🙂

Mon the Dees 

10 hours ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

Byrne is shite as well, dunno why some seem to rate him so highly.

He doesn't do anything that's likely to have people out of their seats, so even when he does play well it tends to go un-noticed, but yes, he's horribly inconsistent and there are strings of games where he's just a passenger and doesn't add anything at all. When he is on form and does what he's there to do well, it does make a significant difference to the side, he's just too inconsistent and doesn't turn up often enough.

42 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

He doesn't do anything that's likely to have people out of their seats, so even when he does play well it tends to go un-noticed, but yes, he's horribly inconsistent and there are strings of games where he's just a passenger and doesn't add anything at all. When he is on form and does what he's there to do well, it does make a significant difference to the side, he's just too inconsistent and doesn't turn up often enough.

Yeah, that's it, his job is to win the ball and give it to someone but he goes missing for 4 or 5 games then has a decent game again. He offers nothing at all as a creative or attacking player so when he doesn't do what's he's there for then what's the point. Don't mean to single him out as he's no worse than most but just another disappointment.

I think Byrne is the type to be first for the chopping block in a team that's not doing well. He's an integral component to a Dundee team doing well though, if that makes sense?

He's a 'nothing' player in a poor team, but in a half decent side he keeps things ticking along and moving as a unit rather than a group of individuals.

There's not many that have been consistent this season or we wouldn't be bottom. 

He's one I'm really glad we've got for the long term tbh.

Livingston would never have been promoted without Byrne.

Look at Hemmings as all the proof you need of a player being on it in a team that works with you, or in a team that is disjointed and not playing off eachother correctly.

Byrne is a great player but it just isn't happening for him with what else we have around him.

Spoiler

Hi I'm Shaun Byrne.

Edited by Crawford

I’m willing to take the reigns next season provided Nelmsy and Keyesy give me free reign to fully chop and change. 

I’ll also do the job for pretty cheap too. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Girth

2 minutes ago, Girth said:

I’m willing to take the reigns next season provided Nelmsy gives me free reign to fully chop and change. 

I’ll also do the job for pretty cheap too. 

Thank you. 

McPake>McGhee>Girth

As dreadful as we've been this season, and as much as I said it's a good opportunity to bin the deadwood, I don't actually think we need to be totally gutting the squad and starting over. 

I think the bones of what we already have, presumably under a more capable manager, should be good enough to get us out of the Championship. I think Adam's time as a player in pro leagues is done, because as much as he can still pick a pass and set up a chance with a dead ball, he's looking increasingly incapable of doing all the physical parts of his job. Fontaine certainly shouldn't be around in a year and a bit's time if we're aiming to be back in the Premier, so I see no reason to bring him back. Likewise McDaid, he's a mediocre Championship player at best and really has no business being in a Premiership squad. Elliot pretty much the same, although I think he's a more capable fullback than McDaid is a winger. 

The remainder I think you could make some case for keeping around, and if we let the four mentioned above go, then I think we'd still have to bring in a player or two, but perhaps that's already in hand if the Lamie PCA stands up. I'd probably keep Gowser around for one more season in the Championship, but I wouldn't be planning on him being here beyond that, and Jakubiak would really have to start the season fit and play well to make me think he should be here beyond January. Talking of which; I think wholesale rebuilding would actually harm our chances of hitting the ground running at the start of the new season, but it would be nice to think that we might, for once, actively pursue a player or two to be ready to come in at the start of January and add something, rather than doing what we usually do, which is to wait until the end of the window then bring in a couple of random loans.

Does anyone think we'll ever actually see Jay Chapman on the pitch for any length of time? Feels very much like another Nicholas Hamilton puzzler.

38 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

As dreadful as we've been this season, and as much as I said it's a good opportunity to bin the deadwood, I don't actually think we need to be totally gutting the squad and starting over. 

I think the bones of what we already have, presumably under a more capable manager, should be good enough to get us out of the Championship. I think Adam's time as a player in pro leagues is done, because as much as he can still pick a pass and set up a chance with a dead ball, he's looking increasingly incapable of doing all the physical parts of his job. Fontaine certainly shouldn't be around in a year and a bit's time if we're aiming to be back in the Premier, so I see no reason to bring him back. Likewise McDaid, he's a mediocre Championship player at best and really has no business being in a Premiership squad. Elliot pretty much the same, although I think he's a more capable fullback than McDaid is a winger. 

The remainder I think you could make some case for keeping around, and if we let the four mentioned above go, then I think we'd still have to bring in a player or two, but perhaps that's already in hand if the Lamie PCA stands up. I'd probably keep Gowser around for one more season in the Championship, but I wouldn't be planning on him being here beyond that, and Jakubiak would really have to start the season fit and play well to make me think he should be here beyond January. Talking of which; I think wholesale rebuilding would actually harm our chances of hitting the ground running at the start of the new season, but it would be nice to think that we might, for once, actively pursue a player or two to be ready to come in at the start of January and add something, rather than doing what we usually do, which is to wait until the end of the window then bring in a couple of random loans.

Does anyone think we'll ever actually see Jay Chapman on the pitch for any length of time? Feels very much like another Nicholas Hamilton puzzler.

My issue with this is..... we are keeping these players and say we do win the league.... this squad we already know are not good enough for top flight football. 

I disagree however with keeping players, this squad is terrible but majority are all signed up anyway for next season so dosnt really matter. 

I'd rather be building a team we can carry on to the SPFL. 

Feel for whatever manager comes in as he is already stuck with most of the squad. 

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

If we don’t keep the Canadian Crippler for next season we’ll struggle to win the league. 

Question - Any of yous think McPake would have kept Dundee up (or at least finished 11th to give you a chance in the playoffs) if given a full season? 

As an outsider, the way he was punted seemed really odd and tapping up McGhee to replace him seemed like a wild choice that was never going to work out. But obviously I wasn't watching McPake's team week in week out.

No snide intentions btw, just curious.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

All four of those players are out of contract at season's end (Adam has an extension clause but also has a relegation clause). They're just about the only ones we don't have to worry about next season.

Jakubiak is a fine enough player for the Championship as is shown by his time at Partick, he's just not a goalscorer. Perhaps a position change is in order. Chapman... I don't even know, I wouldn't say it looks great for him. I'd to see the handsome b*****d get some game time in our last few games to get a better idea.

38 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

My issue with this is..... we are keeping these players and say we do win the league.... this squad we already know are not good enough for top flight football. 

I disagree however with keeping players, this squad is terrible but majority are all signed up anyway for next season so dosnt really matter.

We'll definitely need to get short of at least a couple of players under contract next season (hopefully more), but I would say that the assembled squad is good enough to perform at the playoff level in the Championship, and if the league is as weak as it is this year could maybe compete for top. We need a title-winning team though, and that's where the problem lies. It's really hard to get into too much detail currently though, or until we get the new manager in.

The other thing to take into account is that only Byrne is signed up for after next season, so if we went up again the manager would have freedom to put together a squad of his own.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The other thing to take into account is that only Byrne is signed up for after next season, so if we went up again the manager would have freedom to put together a squad of his own.

This is more so worrying. Could be either an entirely new squad ( if we were to get promoted) or do our usual and give boys like Kerr n McGowan another couple of years or year. 

11 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

This is more so worrying. Could be either an entirely new squad ( if we were to get promoted) or do our usual and give boys like Kerr n McGowan another couple of years or year.

So it's worrying if we keep this squad and if we start from scratch? I don't know how else to ease your mind lol

Best case scenario in my mind is we get a good manager in for once, get rid of some deadwood and improve in all areas, win the league and start from scratch a la Hartley in 2014.

I'm sure it will go nowhere close as well to this, but disappointment hasn't happened yet so I'll keep some hope.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee