All things Dundee FC

40 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've moaned about McGhee a lot. I have to say, him admitting to the team on his first day of meeting them that, 'we won't win many games' has taken my anger to laughter. If Nelms isn't mad enough to extend his deal, then he'll have a career in motivational speaking lined up

In fairness that's just peak McGhee. You know what he's getting at or trying to say, he doesn't need to say it but he says it anyway. He seems to have zero self-awareness or filter.

See also his referencing the Celtic job when he's at the press conference for him being presented as Aberdeen manager or sitting at Motherwell talking about how had other results gone differently in his career he could have been managing Liverpool but instead he's at Fir Park.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/mark-mcghee-sliding-doors-moment-cost-anfield-dream-1485502

52 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've moaned about McGhee a lot. I have to say, him admitting to the team on his first day of meeting them that, 'we won't win many games' has taken my anger to laughter. If Nelms isn't mad enough to extend his deal, then he'll have a career in motivational speaking lined up:

That's a typo, what he actually said was "we're not going to win any games".

I mean it's pretty funny. I would've happily told the players the same thing for free.

Remember, we'd just won two games on the bounce before he waddled in. Beggars belief.

Can't wait for the one-year rolling contract to hit the table.

It's difficult to fairly assess McGhee, because in my opinion there has been a definite improvement in organisation and shape on the pitch since he took over, even if the results are not necessarily any better. The problem with that though, is that his predecessor was an utterly clueless fanny, so I think you could literally have pulled someone off the terraces, put them in charge, and still expected a reasonable improvement.

I'm far from convinced that McGhee is a reasonable candidate for the job permanently, but I don't think you can really judge any manager properly until they've had a few windows to bring in their own players that fit what they are trying to do. The caveat is that when you have an completely hopeless idiot who is entirely out of his depth that becomes apparent pretty quickly, but I don't think McGhee is absolutely hopeless, so it's difficult to get an honest picture of him.

I think Celtic and Rangers games a side, we've looked more insipid in certain games than we did under McPake, we are getting poorer results in comparison to the respective fixtures McPake managed earlier in the season and we've largely sacrificed any attacking threat we have to always play for a draw. Think we've only scored 1 or 2 from open play since McGhee started? That, combined with the moronic comments he makes time and time again and the history he's had in management which roughly works out as 1 truly successful season (and 1 or 2 seasons that can be described as alright I suppose) in about 25 year suggests that we can judge him now and he in absolutely no way should be given longer to prove the stats wrong even if he starts working miracles with us IMO.

I think Celtic and Rangers games a side, we've looked more insipid in certain games than we did under McPake, we are getting poorer results in comparison to the respective fixtures McPake managed earlier in the season and we've largely sacrificed any attacking threat we have to always play for a draw. Think we've only scored 1 or 2 from open play since McGhee started? That, combined with the moronic comments he makes time and time again and the history he's had in management which roughly works out as 1 truly successful season (and 1 or 2 seasons that can be described as alright I suppose) in about 25 year suggests that we can judge him now and he in absolutely no way should be given longer to prove the stats wrong even if he starts working miracles with us IMO.
He's playing for draws in games we need to win

I think that's a fair criticism to an extent, but then he set out a genuine 3-4-3 at the weekend just gone. I don't think that's playing for a draw. It's was ineffectual due to a total lack of creativity in the team prior to Adam coming on, but it's hardly a 'park the bus' and play for a point approach.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Nail right on the head mate , apart from them raising their game against the ugly sisters , we have 100 times worse than before he took over in the other games , the livi game was an absolute shocker 

Just read a transcripted summary of yesterday and some very bizarre things in it such as McGhee not knowing who Luke Graham, the 18 year old youth away on trial with Sheffield United is and McGhee admitting he didn't know until the other day that we've signed Ricki Lamie on a PCA and finally, saying he's been working closely with Rusk, Mackay and Marty when that Marty guy left about a week into his tenure. So I'm imagining that the names have just been included by the guy that wrote the original write up.

On a more positive note, kinda, he said he believes this squad would be able to get out of the Championship and that he's had assurances  by John Nelms that he'll be in place next season but knows this could change very quickly should we not start getting results this season. Also seemed to repeatedly talk about a lack of physicality in the team and that we could be fitter and his aim signing wise, would be to get more physicality into the team. 

Suppose we'll see in the actual interview when it's released rather than just typing a WhatsApp message but some decent stuff in there in amongst the usual McGhee'isms.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

On a more positive note, kinda, he said he believes this squad would be able to get out of the Championship and that he's had assurances  by John Nelms that he'll be in place next season but knows this could change very quickly should we not start getting results this season. Also seemed to repeatedly talk about a lack of physicality in the team and that we could be fitter and his aim signing wise, would be to get more physicality into the team. 

Burst Into Tears GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Spikethedee