All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

To keep this brief, there would be obvious cost savings.  There would also likely be a revenue increase both in terms of crowds and sponsorship, particularly over the medium to long term.

Again, I would wish to stress I am not advocating a merger.  I am merely pointing out any possible financial rationale behind a merger.

Agreed. But...

In business in general most mergers fail and often fail to deliver the projected cost savings and increased revenues.  Maybe over optimism in selling the plan to shareholders which may not be as much of an issue in our respective situations.

I would find it hard to argue that from the outside a merger looks like a plan, but we're not on the outside and I don't see much appetite for one from either set of fans. It would take a brave man with a big set of baws to ignore his customers' sentiments.

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Even if you take the view that one club would have more fans than either of the existing, you'll certainly have less than you do from the two collectively.

So revenue (be that sponsorship, TV rights, ticket and merchandise sales) is down, not up. It might be up pro rata but you've got two owners. Is one of them making a profit by selling up? I think not.

You can try to claim reduce costs, but the new club owner is straight back into the same game. A slightly bigger fanbase - if you believe that would happen - demands the better players that come with any increase in revenue you believe might occur.

Scottish fitba will never ever make anybody any money. Combining two clubs into one ain't going to change that.

A lot to pick fault with but here goes -

Aye, but you'd have more revenue as one merged entity than as one unmerged entity but with the same cost base.  

I'm confused about the 2 owners thing - there would be one owner i.e. the merged entity.  

As for paying higher salaries to better players - bring it fucking on!  

Yep, folk don't make money out of Scottish football but they continue to give it a go.

41 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Agreed. But...

In business in general most mergers fail and often fail to deliver the projected cost savings and increased revenues.  Maybe over optimism in selling the plan to shareholders which may not be as much of an issue in our respective situations.

I would find it hard to argue that from the outside a merger looks like a plan, but we're not on the outside and I don't see much appetite for one from either set of fans. It would take a brave man with a big set of baws to ignore his customers' sentiments.

Agreed on the highlighted point.  I had a significant of Norwich Union shares when they merged with Commercial General to form CGNU (later Aviva).  Not quite the return I was hoping for 😡

Andy Geddes     1959 - 2022    

Cultured player for whom recurring injuries curtailed his time at Dens Park. Mainly remember him from our 1st Division promotion season.

RIP my good man.

gettyimages-1298650522-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.aafcdd8893cce80deae4593b2216414e.jpg

(Andy's death was posted on "thedarkblues" website on Saturday evening, however only today was it posted on the Clubs official site). 

Edited by This Charming Man

That seems to only work out well for the first person out of the taxi...

That would probably apply in the football scenario too. The first owner out has half his arsehole ripped, a wee bit sore but it’s a stop loss, and he’ll get over it. The remaining owner gets the full reaming.

I dont know this answer but who are the two biggest teams to have ever joined together ? And I don't mean sharing stadiums, as in merged to be one club.

Also what is everyone's thoughts about bringing a drum into the home section? Are fans ( especially those in that stand) of a drum being used.

9 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

I dont know this answer but who are the two biggest teams to have ever joined together ? And I don't mean sharing stadiums, as in merged to be one club.

Also what is everyone's thoughts about bringing a drum into the home section? Are fans ( especially those in that stand) of a drum being used.

Don't know but my guess would be PSG merging Paris FC and Stade Saint-Germain.

As for drums, can't efn stand them

5 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Our Boys and East End.