All things Dundee FC

How am I supposed to judge "pure goalkeeping ability" if I'm not looking at statistics though? He's got a confidence in the box that we've found hard to come by, and up until his last few games with injuries he's rarely made big mistakes. His distribution is a weakness I believe but that's pretty common in goalies at this level, i.e. Alnwick.
I would argue that the goalie standard this season is quite high, but Joe Lewis has been pretty awful this season, and worse than Legzdins. I'd say he's better than all the County keepers too and every back-up keeper in the league sans OF, so right now I'd argue around 10th for starters rn. Not amazing again because I don't think he is, but he's up against some stiff competition around the league and with a backline that wasn't utter mince defensively his stats would better reflect that.
Trust me, if we could get our hands on Gordon, Kelly, Macey, Clark, Alnwick, Siegrist, Stryjek etc I'd be all for doing so, but Legzdins isn't much inferior to your Alnwicks and Stryjeks imo, just with a worse team in front of him.

It’s his confidence that fools people. He never looks ruffled, he’s a non goal saving goalkeeper to go with our no goal scoring strikers. He’s pish.

14 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

It’s his confidence that fools people. He never looks ruffled, he’s a non goal saving goalkeeper to go with our no goal scoring strikers. He’s pish.

And yet he is 5th in the saves table despite playing fewer games than most of the other keepers:

image.png.6a8cc0f589c1a0be62ccad95c2262409.png

The likes of Liam Kelly & Jak Alnwick only have 1 more clean sheet than him despite having a much better defence in front of them and having made more appearances:

image.png.053bcb907cf577e894f198234345e734.png

He's certainly let in a few clangers, that's undoubted, but that happens when you play in as shit a team as ours and would be the case for many, much better keepers than Legzdins just look at Siegrist last night for a key example.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

And yet he is 5th in the saves table despite playing fewer games than most of the other keepers:

The likes of Liam Kelly & Jak Alnwick only have 1 more clean sheet than him despite having a much better defence in front of them and having made more appearances:

He's certainly let in a few clangers, that's undoubted, but that happens when you play in as shit a team as ours and would be the case for many, much better keepers than Legzdins just look at Siegrist last night for a key example.

Legzdins makes more saves because teams get more shots against Dundee, his save percentage is 12th out of the 13 keepers to play at least 10 games this season. Only Joe Lewis has let a higher percentage of shots go past him.

Of those 13 keepers, Legzdins has the worst stat on goals conceded per 90 meaning Legzdins picks the ball out of his net more times per match than any of the regular starters in the league.

Dundee have certainly had worse, but there is nothing to indicate Legzdins is a good goal keeper at this level.

1 hour ago, EpicMike said:

Legzdins makes more saves because teams get more shots against Dundee, his save percentage is 12th out of the 13 keepers to play at least 10 games this season. Only Joe Lewis has let a higher percentage of shots go past him.

Of those 13 keepers, Legzdins has the worst stat on goals conceded per 90 meaning Legzdins picks the ball out of his net more times per match than any of the regular starters in the league.

Dundee have certainly had worse, but there is nothing to indicate Legzdins is a good goal keeper at this level.

The stats I listed above point out that he is.

Your stats, particularly the second one, says more about our defence than anything else.

Legzdins is the worst #1 keeper in the top flight. Shots go through him regularly, and he never bails us out with a big timely save. I don't care if he's playing in front of the worst backline in history. He's got to make saves more than he does.

If fit, I suppose he's our best option right now, and if we go down he'd probably be fine to keep. However, if in the unlikely event we stay up we'll be needing better between the sticks, imo.

Legzdins is the worst #1 keeper in the top flight. Shots go through him regularly, and he never bails us out with a big timely save. I don't care if he's playing in front of the worst backline in history. He's got to make saves more than he does.
If fit, I suppose he's our best option right now, and if we go down he'd probably be fine to keep. However, if in the unlikely event we stay up we'll be needing better between the sticks, imo.

I agree with vast majority of what you say, only Lawlor looks worse, he is fucking appalling. I disagree with, and have never understood the argument when people make it, the bit about going down. A good keeper is vital in the championship too. Other than his kicking, I’ve been more impressed with young Sharp. All the chat about how pish our defence is, they’ve played in front of the worst keepers I have EVER seen play for us for about 4 years.

14 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I agree with vast majority of what you say, only Lawlor looks worse, he is fucking appalling. I disagree with, and have never understood the argument when people make it, the bit about going down. A good keeper is vital in the championship too. Other than his kicking, I’ve been more impressed with young Sharp. All the chat about how pish our defence is, they’ve played in front of the worst keepers I have EVER seen play for us for about 4 years.

Are you forgetting Jack Hamilton?

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I say that because there is a big difference between keepers in the 1st and 2nd tier, and we'll have to be picking and choosing who we can try to get rid. Also we're going to have trouble attracting a quality keeper if we drop down unless we make an inspired managerial choice. Morten fans are raving about Jack Hamilton atm as being one of the best keepers they've had in two decades and one of the best in the league so that sort of suggests the level.

At the premiership level Legzdins has been utterly found out with more shots, better shots and being under pressure more. He's not up to it, imo. If he gets back in the lineup soon let's hope he has an inspired run in but, I'd love to upgrade Legzdins and Lawlor regardless of league, but I don't think it's realistic. We need a major overhaul no matter what, and if we're able to move a few contracted players on I'd gladly bin Lawlor and Legzdins and sign someone new and roll with a new guy and Sharp. 

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Legzdins is fine imo. We have the worst defence in the division by a country mile and any 'keeper continually put under so much pressure by these clowns is going have a clanger or two at some point. Lawlor though 😂

Clangers yes, they happen... but Legzdins let's shots routinely go through him like he's a hologram. 

11 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

Clangers yes, they happen... but Legzdins let's shots routinely go through him like he's a hologram. 

I still think any 'keeper exposed that regularly by such a shite defence will concede a lot of goals. 

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I love stats. 

2 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

Stats say other wise. Evidence is their. He isnt the worst in the league.

He will be comfortable in the championship. He is the least of our problems.

A goalscorer would be nice. The guy to put the ball in net.

Even a good defender would be nice.

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The Record aren't holding back with this piece today but there's not much I can argue with:

Simon Rusk is the de facto Dundee leader and that plus an out of touch absentee owner spells relegation - Gordon Parks - Daily Record

What has to be a fairly massive concern at the moment is the apathy amongst the support. When Admin I and II happened there seemed to be a collective sense of the Dundee support coming together, really giving a f**k, doing their level best to get the club out of a hole. See the whole Deefiant season etc as a shining example.

If it was announced tomorrow, or even worse after a relegation/into next season, that Keyes was walking away and Admin III was on the horizon I'm sure there would still be a huge effort from the fans, but would it have as much behind it as before? Looking in from the outside it just seems mental how Keyes/Nelms have managed to drag down the support, which should be one of the club's biggest assets.