All things Dundee FC

3 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

There is solid actual evidence that this particular c**t would never give certain players a chance. Usually linked to them not being white.

Is there any specific reason you've suggested this? I certainly remember him giving Jerel Ifil a chance at Aberdeen but wished he hadn't..

24 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

As funny as it is, an experienced man might be exactly what Dundee need. It can't have been easy for a fairly young inexperienced manager like McPake to manage the likes of Adam, Cummings and Griffiths. The timing is a bit bonkers after back to back wins though.

As a short term fix, it could do the job. Sitting in a desperate position in the league, Dundee have thrown the dice, which certainly adds an intriguing twist to the relegation battle.

Cummings and Griffiths have left though...No club needs Mark McGhoo the manager....Great player, terrible personality

22 minutes ago, The Derry said:

I honestly think I'm almost alone in this but I genuinely do not care he's been appointed.  I feel nothing.  

I'm the same. Mcpake was taking us down so I don't mind a gamble if it's short term. Regardless of how well Nelms back his managers it would be hard to attract someone decent in our position after the transfer window has closed and your stuck with shite players.

None of that takes away from the absolute shambles this all is and how bad nelms is at this.

5 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

The Americans coming in saved the club. This "all going to end in tears" shtick is tiresome - when "tears" is relegation. Without the American investment - and continued investment - there would be no club to cry about. 

Didn't they take over when you were a fan owned club? Maybe without that investment you'd have spent more time in the Championship since, but I'm not seeing what the existential threat to Dundee was under fan ownership in 2013?

I think he will keep us up tbh. I think we could even shitfest our way to avoiding the playoffs.

But for the love of god, don't give him his own transfer window, he is not a long term solution.

This is the kind of vibe I get from the Motherwell fans thoughts on him.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Didn't they take over when you were a fan owned club? Maybe without that investment you'd have spent more time in the Championship since, but I'm not seeing what the existential threat to Dundee was under fan ownership in 2013?

I'd say it was a lack of patience from fans that we weren't doing well. This led to infighting and jealousy about whoever happened to be one of the suits in the club. Then there was a general turn towards thinking it was acceptable to let someone takeover if they were willing to throw money at it.

That's what I remember from the time but I might be wrong. I don't think we'll go fan owned again or at least not until the owner gets bored and leaves again.

I'll be leaving my thoughts on this until a while in (around the time of the Quarter final) keeping the simmering undercurrent within for now.

I hope he comes in and gets us out the bottom two, for now I'll wait and see his line ups and formations.

There is potential for this to be the worst episode yet in the Nelms clusterfucks but for now I'll wait and at least give a window of chance.

Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

We were haemorrhaging money and had next to nothing coming in. All the "fan ownership" model were interested in was getting club shares back in the "fans" name. Hence why they signed a fucking stupid lease agreement which now costs the Americans over half a million a year to honour. 

6 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

I've decided to look for the positives and if he manages to keep us up i'll beable to listen to The Beatles Let it Be and chant along changing it to Mark McGhee.

Swings and roundabouts.

Thank you.

When you go down you can still chant along to it just change Mark to F**k.

38 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I think he will keep us up tbh. I think we could even shitfest our way to avoiding the playoffs.

But for the love of god, don't give him his own transfer window, he is not a long term solution.

This is the kind of vibe I get from the Motherwell fans thoughts on him.

Sort of. I think a few of us are kind of conflicted when it comes to McGhee in so much as he's clearly an arsehole who lacks self-awareness in a spectacular way (and oversaw a 7-0 against Celtic, a 7-2 against Aberdeen, a 6-0 against Hearts and a 5-1 against Dundee) but he actually, kind-of-also did a very, very good job at points.

He didn't last more than 2 seasons in either of his spells.

In his first stint he transformed Malpas' side that finished 10th into legit one of the best Motherwell sides in the last 30 odd years. That was the one with Ross McCormack, Chris Porter et al. He played a 433 and it was a genuinely great watch. We saw ridiculous turnarounds in players form (shoutout Steven McGarry).

The next season he flirted with the Hearts job and ended up fucking off to Aberdeen. We finished 7th.

His second time round he wasn't exactly a popular choice on account of the way he left previously but he turned round Baraclough's side to finish 5th and he's our last manager to beat Celtic (2-1 at Parkhead). He managed to get a cracking tune out of the front 3 of McDonald, Moult and Marvin Johnson and Chris Cadden probably enjoyed his best run of form at Motherwell.

It's not entirely clear what happened the 2nd season. It was around that point the switch to fan-ownership happened so I'm not sure if budgets were cut or not. Robinson left for Oldham and we replaced him with James McFadden who had next to no coaching experience, we also sold Marvin Johnson to Oxford just before the end of the summer window and didn't get his replacement (Eliott Frear) over the line.

The story doing the rounds was he was essentially commuting between Brighton and Lanarkshire, so would fly back south after games and leave McFadden to take training before pitching up midweek. How true that was I don't know but there seemed to be a noticeable drop off after Robinson left the club and given he was an experienced coach it kind of adds up.

We weren't great that season but even then, we were 6th at the end of January. It was that run in February that finished him with the 7-2 at Pittodrie and the 5-1 against your lot at Fir Park.

As others have said, I don't think any Motherwell fan would be in a hurry to see him back in any capacity but our experience of McGhee is clearly very different to Aberdeen fans (and different to fans of other clubs on the outside looking in).

Edited by capt_oats

I'm starting to warm to turkey face after initially fuming...mainly thanks to the input from Motherwell fans...

This is as long as he keeps us up this season and IS NOT given the job long term. 

Thank you.  

Edited by Girth