All things Dundee FC

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Definitely remember the Aberdeen bogey days of the later 80s. We seemed beaten before kick off half the time. I think we we went from 76 until 88 without a league win against them.

Then we went something like 10 years without defeat at Pittodrie.

8 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

It can’t be an extra 17 years?  I was told by a good few United fans I know that football only began in 1979.

i'd also like to point out that when we had a semi decent team playing in the top division hibs/united spent the majority of those years fannying about in the seaside league...atleast we had the decency to spend the majority of their "glory years" in the same division as them

2 hours ago, Meeniedee said:

i'd also like to point out that when we had a semi decent team playing in the top division hibs/united spent the majority of those years fannying about in the seaside league...atleast we had the decency to spend the majority of their "glory years" in the same division as them

I was in high school when United won the league in ‘83.  I remember saying to my United supporting mates that we’d already won the league in ‘62 and them falling about laughing at the fact that was 21 years ago and wasn’t worthy of mention because it was so long ago.  It’s 39 years ago since United won the league and there are still plenty of United fans that use ‘83 in their user names, tattoos and remarks without a hint of irony or embarrassment.  

7 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I was in high school when United won the league in ‘83.  I remember saying to my United supporting mates that we’d already won the league in ‘62 and them falling about laughing at the fact that was 21 years ago and wasn’t worthy of mention because it was so long ago.  It’s 39 years ago since United won the league and there are still plenty of United fans that use ‘83 in their user names, tattoos and remarks without a hint of irony or embarrassment.  

the majority of them who use FTD83 as a username were still tucked up in their auldmans bawsack when they won the league.

22 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

My Gramps used to say that our bogey team was/is QotS. He says we couldnae always had trouble with them no matter the situation - cups, different leagues, stacked Dundee teams of yesteryear it may no difference as it was always a struggle, especially away from home.

Even now if totally agree with your gramps , total bogey team

unsure if we have heaps of bogey teams or have had a team of bottle merchants since officially started supporting Dundee circa 2005

On 11/02/2022 at 03:41, EH6 DEE said:

On Chapman I was beginning to think that since he was released by Miami in November it might take him a while to get up to fitness

On 10/02/2022 at 17:15, Dundee-FC92 said:

Find it very strange Chapman not getting minutes; is he one of them pointless January signings. Too early to tell of course. 

Think @EH6 DEE is correct here.

If he were still in the MLS, he'd be in preseason training, so it's going to take him a bit to get into game shape simply due to the calendar he was on.  Even regular starting MLS players are just getting to 60 minutes in friendlies, so give him about another week and he should be good to come on as a sub.

6 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Even now if totally agree with your gramps , total bogey team

unsure if we have heaps of bogey teams or have had a team of bottle merchants since officially started supporting Dundee circa 2005

Oh I agree with him too. I'm glad you could decipher my post despite me typing like I was sloshed. I go back a couple of decades before you so we've seen many a terrible team, but my Gramps went back to the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s where he formed his opinion that Queens were our bogey team.

To me that is more surprising of course because he was there to witness some of our footballing powerhouse versions of the Dee. But in looking at the Dee Archive we couldn't buy a win down there even during those times, and somehow they even beat us in a league cup replay in Oct '77 0-6 at Palmerston! Details are scarce about what happened that day, but regardless it's always been ingrained in me that QotS are our bogey team and I always have the fear against them, especially away.

On 11/02/2022 at 02:41, EH6 DEE said:

On Chapman I was beginning to think that since he was released by Miami in November it might take him a while to get up to fitness with no pre-season in him. But noe when you see Big Kev across the road having not played for 19 months and even more recently underwent a kidney transplant, it's likely he could just be shite.

It feels very Dundee to have signed two Canadians in two years and them be the worst footballers the country has to offer.

I have no idea about whether Chapman will pan out or not, but... there is a lot of difference between Hamilton and Chapman and we're getting way out in front things by surmising anything at this juncture.

For starters Hamilton is Jamaican and was only here as a favour to the Dee named Angus McNab that is involved in with the semi-pro Canadian team that signed him because they couldn't get him into the country and wanted to send him somewhere to train instead of having a lost season. Nic Hamilton would be a non-league level player in this country.

Jay Chapman has over 100 games in the MLS with Toronto FC and Inter Miami, and even though I don't follow it I do know that it contains lots of good players and is a pretty good standard these days. Chapman also has caps at international level with Canada and they're better than they used to be.

There is a a pretty big gap between the professional careers of Chapman and Hamilton, and it could simply be that McPake wants to be careful chucking a new guy straight into a relegation battle. Chapman could be a dud, but the only available evidence we have now (which is the CV) is that he is a much different animal than the other guy.

Edited by CanadianDee

2 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

I have no idea about whether Chapman will pan out or not, but... there is a lot of difference between Hamilton and Chapman and we're getting way out in front things by surmising anything at this juncture.

For starters Hamilton is Jamaican and was only here as a favour to the Dee that is involved in with the sem-pro Canadian team that signed him because they couldn't get him into the country and wanted to send him somewhere. Nic Hamilton would non league level player in this country.

Jay Chapman has over 100 games in the MLS with Toronto FC and Inter Miami, and even though I don't follow it I do know that it contains lots of good players and is a pretty good standard these days. Chapman also has caps at international level with Canada and they're better than they used to be.

There is a a pretty big gap between the professional careers of Chapman and Hamilton, and it could simply be that McPake wants to be careful chucking a new guy straight into a relegation battle. Chapman could be a dud, but the only available evidence we have now (which is the CV) is that he is a much different animal than the other guy.

And @RossBFaeDundee has to be amped that Chapman played his college ball at Michigan State.

On 12/02/2022 at 07:51, Day of the Lords said:

Definitely remember the Aberdeen bogey days of the later 80s. We seemed beaten before kick off half the time. I think we we went from 76 until 88 without a league win against them.

I have pretty vivid memories of the game at Dens when we finally beat them at the end of that run. Miller and McLeish were injured so they had Stuart McKimmie playing centre half.

Sheer sense of disbelief at the scoreline such was their hoodoo over us. I sat there at about 85 minutes gone wondering if I was imagining things.

43 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

That'll be Jack Ross off to Aberdeen then?

With McPake now being current manager longer than managers of Ross Co., DABS, Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Aberdeen put together. So much for stability being good... (personally I'd go for the fat grass, note, he was sacked with a far higher points per game in the Championship than McPake had)

3 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

Oh I agree with him too. I'm glad you could decipher my post despite me typing like I was sloshed. I go back a couple of decades before you so we've seen many a terrible team, but my Gramps went back to the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s where he formed his opinion that Queens were our bogey team.

To me that is more surprising of course because he was there to witness some of our footballing powerhouse versions of the Dee. But in looking at the Dee Archive we couldn't buy a win down there even during those times, and somehow they even beat us in a league cup replay in Oct '77 0-6 at Palmerston! Details are scarce about what happened that day, but regardless it's always been ingrained in me that QotS are our bogey team and I always have the fear against them, especially away.

My very first memory of going to Dens was the day Gilzean scored 7 in a 10_2 win against Queens, so I’ve never thought of them as a bogey team , back in the 60s my dad thought Clyde were our bogey team 

10 minutes ago, Vernon gilmore said:

My very first memory of going to Dens was the day Gilzean scored 7 in a 10_2 win against Queens, so I’ve never thought of them as a bogey team , back in the 60s my dad thought Clyde were our bogey team 

I was at that game. Agree Clyde were classed as bogey team back then and it might be because we played them in the Scottish Cup 6 times between winning it and the mid 50’s and they always beat us in a replay. 

Big game tomorrow, going to head up. Think alot of apathy that has set in over the years is because of constant pish. When you think of the cups we aren't even given an outlet to the torture.

We can get beat and laugh it off as us being stinking but in reality if we want people to continue backing the club year in year out they need something back. Sad state of affairs when you look at all the teams who have reached Hampden over the last decade and more. Younger Dees now won't even have a memory of us in the latter stages of a cup - which is probably better than my last one of being horsed by Gretna to be fair.

Win this and we're in the quarter finals of the Scottish cup; it's about time we had a slice of luck with the draw aswell it does seem to favour the DABs year in year out (I know its random and not going Old Firm style claiming agendas inside Scottish football).

We have to begin to create our own luck to be fair, too many times over the years we've been papped out the cups by some Diddy outfit or ended up one down in 15 seconds to Sevco infront of a large away support.

Just get the win tomorrow and at least give us the excitement of a quarter final draw Dundee ffs. Not for one minute saying we'll be winning the cup this year under the current regime but there is an opportunity for a bit of respite from the horrible league campaign.

Don't let us down again, Dundee.

Thank you.

On 10/02/2022 at 10:00, kevthedee said:

Rudden is just the kind of player we need.

Someone who will work their bullocks off and get in the faces of the defenders and wind them up.

In other words he's a dirty fucking b*****d and I love it.

Been ages since we've had someone who winds up the opposition and doesn't take any pish. Haven't seen much of him myself but I'm liking the things that people are saying so far 

I have pretty vivid memories of the game at Dens when we finally beat them at the end of that run. Miller and McLeish were injured so they had Stuart McKimmie playing centre half.
Sheer sense of disbelief at the scoreline such was their hoodoo over us. I sat there at about 85 minutes gone wondering if I was imagining things.
Yeah I was at that one. Hogmanay 1988. David Robertson was out as well iirc. Tommy Coyne scored both although one took such a wild deflection it was probably an og [emoji23]

The atmosphere in the Derry was electric. Great days.