All things Dundee FC

37 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

I know that it is probably poor form to quote oneself, but I said this back at the beginning of January and well... in terms of fit strikers now we have Danny Mullen and Zak Rudden.  So we sourced a forward from the Scottish Championship, but could only secure him by sending Jakubiak the other way. We did chase Cummings to Oz and we did fall out with Griffiths. 

Now I'm not defending the professionalism or lack thereof with reference to Cummings and Griffiths. How do Nelms (if he was even here?) and McPake roll into to Dens every day in January and not have a plan for this totally mapped out by say the 15th. Give Griff an offer and tell him we need to know asap because we can't be left holding the bag on the 31st. If we want to ditch Griffiths then what are we doing letting Cummings go? And if we want them both to move on then why are we left now with Mullen and Rudden???

Firstly Mullen should be a 3rd of 4th choice striker at this level, and Rudden, although very promising is being put in one hell of a tough position - we're now depending on him to come up with the goods to keep us in the top tier. Nothing like dropping him straight into the mixer. We're going to wind up with McCowan and/or McGinn leading the line at some point, aren't we?

I guess what I'm saying is why don't we have another striking option here and what the hell are Keyes, Nelms and McPake playing at?

You didn't mention Sheridan?

Wading in again with one more thought regarding Charlie Adam... I agree that his play has been very erratic, his body language has been questionable, I'm honestly wondering what he makes of McPake. It'd be interesting to know deep down what he thinks is wrong with our whole outfit, but having said all of that:

W           D             L                         PTS

13 GP w/Adam         4            5             4                          17

10* GP wo/Adam     0            1              9                           1

*Adam exited games away to 'Well and County in the first half. Games were drawn when he left and wound up being losses.

Now we are quite capable of being hounded with him in the lineup, but we also seem utterly bereft of even a chance at points when he doesn't play. I think that we're going to need Adam to regain his form (among a host of other things going our way) and to turn things up a notch to try to overcome whatever quackery McPake has got going on in the background. Frankly I think if Charlie has packed it in already then we're finished.

Edited by CanadianDee

13 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Love or hate him...... I will always buy Leigh Griffiths a pint for those glorious few minutes against Engerlund.

Problem is, he's been having too many pints lately. Tonic water please.

3 minutes ago, The Derry said:

I thought Charlie dominated on Tuesday and was only when he went off United got a hold of the game.  Most others I've spoke too about the game do not share this view. 

Opinions eh?

Saw that more as a case of us being a man lighter in midfield after the switch, not about Adam himself going off.

9 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Saw that more as a case of us being a man lighter in midfield after the switch, not about Adam himself going off.

I don't think that helped, but Adam was winning every header and actually looked to pass the ball on the deck.  After he went off Fontaine just kept lobbing it up to Rudden and Mullen and hoping something stuck.  

Just now, The Derry said:

I don't think that helped, but Adam was winning every header and actually looked to pass the ball on the deck.  After he went off Fontaine just kept lobbing it up to Rudden and Mullen and hoping something stuck.  

Totally agree with the bolded part, so you're correct that Adam was the outlet for the defence, but what I also saw when the ball came back was that we were really easy to play through with just Byrne and Anderson in the middle, and Utd's midfield runners were much more able to find space further up the pitch.

This has been a persistent problem for us any time we have played any sort of 4-4-2 since McPake took over. Our midfield completely vanishes and we become really easy to turn around, so we end up under all sorts of pressure and unable to get the ball up the pitch. It's why I don't get the calls from some of our support to play with more forwards thinking that will solve our scoring issues, because the team completely falls apart any time we've tried it. I'm not absolutely certain of why it should be the case, but I think poor fullbacks don't help because the wide players can't really muck in for fear of leaving the FB's exposed, and I think we still have a lack of athleticism and dig in CM. A player like Mullen should help because he does drop deep and harass the opposing Midfield, but by the point we made the switch on Tuesday he was already clearly knackered. I think more than anything it's just the lack of two complete players playing in CM. For that to work they both have to be capable on the ball, but they also have to be athletic enough to cover a lot of space, and strong enough to hold the ball and win it back when they lose it. Our entire CM is a bit 'meh', and despite his lack of pace Adam is still by far the most complete of the lot.

10 minutes ago, The Derry said:

Speaking about winning headers, we are so so bad at putting any sort of challenge in for the 2nd ball.

Looking back at the shambles that was the James McPake style transfer window.

• What happened to the approach and supposed PCA for central defender Jamie McCart?
  • Assume we were hamstrung in our offer for the early arrival of central defender Ricki Lamie due to funding being earmarked for his mate Leigh Griffiths. 
  • The above resulting in him scrambling around at the close of play attempting to secure Rossi, a central defender whom we rag-dolled in the play-offs.
  • Appreciate also the requirements for central defence, however I don't even recall a rumoured interest in any left-backs, completely bizarre!

In fairness the Zak Rudden signing looks interesting and the young Daley-Campbell at right back is also an improvement judging by their first appearances. Both were secured on the final day of a transfer window which I my add was tailor made for negotiation with players, what with the early shut-down of fixtures etc.

Anyways, rant over and if we lose to Ross County on Saturday could @Ludo*1 kindly set up a 'New Permanent Manager' thread?

Thank you.   

10 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

What happened to the approach and supposed PCA for central defender Jamie McCart?

You signed him and Zander Clark last Thursday according to @Yenitit

😂

53 minutes ago, The Derry said:

I thought Charlie dominated on Tuesday and was only when he went off United got a hold of the game.  Most others I've spoke too about the game do not share this view. 

Opinions eh?

I thought him going off and Rudden & McCowan going on brought us a spark that nearly got us a goal. Thought Charlie himself was decent on the night, controlled the pace in the midfield and had some good balls, but was trying a bit too hard to make the magic pass rather than playing the smartest ball.

45 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd imagine Rossi will be announced today. Drove past Dens and the physio and McPake were standing with a guy that looked like him at least.

Big lanky guy, eh? Would be tough to miss tbf. Hope you're right, then we can get to unveiling Moussa.

Just read on the BBC Sport that St Mirren are wanting to sign Leigh Griffiths now and James McPake still hasn't ruled out a return to Dens Park.

Our James is quoted as saying we offered him an appearance based contract which "Griffiths has decided against or is mulling it over so we shall see".

No we won't see James, have some dignity man.

What a shite state of affairs, embarrassing!

Regards  

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I thought him going off and Rudden & McCowan going on brought us a spark that nearly got us a goal. Thought Charlie himself was decent on the night, controlled the pace in the midfield and had some good balls, but was trying a bit too hard to make the magic pass rather than playing the smartest ball.

Big lanky guy, eh? Would be tough to miss tbf. Hope you're right, then we can get to unveiling Moussa.

Yeah, didn't get a good look mind so could easily be absolutely anyone.