All things Dundee FC

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

I haven't been to a game in fucking ages, no. I had hoped to get to a few games with my old man but that didn't happen and tbh it's not high on my list of priorities at the moment. 

What that has to do with Legzdins being better than Flapjack, but inferior to Bain, I have no idea.

What are you judging the players on then? Highlights?

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What are you judging the players on then? Highlights?

TV coverage, streams etc. I wasn't aware that one wasn't allowed to form an opinion on such things unless physically present at a football match. My apologies.

Perhaps we aren't actually 11th, with a binfire of a defence and a hopelessly out of his depth Manager after all. Phew, that was close. 

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

TV coverage, streams etc. I wasn't aware that one wasn't allowed to form an opinion on such things unless physically present at a football match. My apologies.

Perhaps we aren't actually 11th, with a binfire of a defence and a hopelessly out of his depth Manager after all. Phew, that was close. 

You're getting quite defensive. I only asked a simple question FFS. And that question had absolutely no bearing on your need to be 'physically present at a football match' either.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Well, it's just factually correct.

In the past 10 years we've had:

Letheren, Bain, Mitchell, Schenk, Parish, Malherbe, Dieng, Hazard & Ferrie.

Only Bain gets close to Legzdins really and that was because he was one of the best keepers in Scotland for about 6 month. After that spell, even Parish statistically outperformed Bain in the same Dundee team.

Legzdins has kept the same number of top flight clean sheets in 21 league games as Bain did in his final 50 league games for Dundee which is 4.

And I think we could all agree that the defence of Gadzhalov, Konrad, Meekings & Jack Hendry are significantly better options than the likes of Liam Fontaine.

Bain could pull off some amazing saves, but he couldn't organise or command his box in near the same way that Legzdins can.

Are you Legzdins agent or something? Why does it bother you so much that some people don't rate Legzdins? I mean he isn't very good. I hope he does well in the run in and finds some better form in terms of shot stopping.

Having said that I do agree that given the situation we're in we should be addressing the backline first (of course we aren't doing anything there either). 

On a general note, let me ask you something while keeping in mind that we paid 75k for JackHam: given that it is so hard to get back into the Premier League, and it is so costly to get relegated to the Championship why do you think our braintrust don't ever identify the weakest part of our team and scour Scotland and England and the rest of the European leagues and spend 100k or something and bring in a couple of proper defenders (our weakest link heading into the summer) instead of mucking about and landing us predictably where we are now?

Edited by CanadianDee

20 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

Are you Legzdins agent or something? Why does it bother you so much that some people don't rate Legzdins? I mean he isn't very good. I hope he does well in the run in and finds some better form in terms of shot stopping.

Having said that I do agree that given the situation we're in we should be addressing the backline first (of course we aren't doing anything there either). 

On a general note, let me ask you something while keeping in mind that we paid 75k for JackHam: given that it is so hard to get back into the Premier League, and it is so costly to get relegated to the Championship why do you think our braintrust don't ever identify the weakest part of our team and scour Scotland and England and the rest of the European leagues and spend 100k or something and bring in a couple of proper defenders (our weakest link heading into the summer) instead of mucking about and landing us predictably where we are now?

In what way has it bothered me? I've just argued differently because I have a different opinion and the stats lie in Legzdins favour. Why does it bother you that I (and others) have a different opinion of Legzdins to the point that you're so dismissive that I need to be his agent? I just think he's been a very good keeper for us overall.

I agree with the rest of your post and don't unfortunately have an answer. We've been sorely lacking at the back for a good few year. We get the odd good defender, but as a unit we are consistently lacking at the back. I'd like to think that our backline is being addressed, but I can't see us bringing in a RB, LB and CH in the remaining time we have of this window.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

In what way has it bothered me? I've just argued differently because I have a different opinion and the stats lie in Legzdins favour. Why does it bother you that I (and others) have a different opinion of Legzdins to the point that you're so dismissive that I need to be his agent? I just think he's been a very good keeper for us overall.

I agree with the rest of your post and don't unfortunately have an answer. We've been sorely lacking at the back for a good few year. We get the odd good defender, but as a unit we are consistently lacking at the back. I'd like to think that our backline is being addressed, but I can't see us bringing in a RB, LB and CH in the remaining time we have of this window.

Basque Jon is in the 2nd tier in Poland these days, I thought he was a pretty good find. It's guys like him that tell you these types are all around and are even more plentiful if you're willing to spend a little bit of money.  How we allow ourselves to get in this situation time and again is bewildering. I realise that we have no recruiting infrastructure in place, but neither did McCann when he found Kamara and Basque Jon.

Beyond the bigger issues that we have in how our club operates in recruiting and forward planning I'm perplexed about our approach to this January window. Given that we had 4 league games and 1 cup game between the 18th and Feb 1st we needed to shore up the defence early in the window. If we don't do it until the evening of the 31st, and lose our next 3 games in the meantime (even if we do bring in players on the 31st that would mean playing them without a training session on the 1st) then our goose might well be cooked already.

I don't know how realistic it is to expect the club to start paying fees for random foreigners when the owners are already having to foot the bill for operating losses of nearly 7 figures every season. I get the speculation part of it, but we've been down that road before and it didn't turn out well.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't know how realistic it is to expect the club to start paying fees for random foreigners when the owners are already having to foot the bill for operating losses of nearly 7 figures every season. I get the speculation part of it, but we've been down that road before and it didn't turn out well.

Firstly, the owners are having to foot the bill for operating losses largely because they have been running the club without structure, without direction, and without any type of a coherent long term strategy both on and off the field.

Secondly, they had to know what they were getting involved with when they took us over so I have no sympathy as to what they are 'having' to do as owners to see that we operate without trouble.

My suggestion was basically that every summer we identify our biggest weakness and address it with a proper and thorough scouting search and if we had the will to pay a fee of 50 to 100k (we did for JackHam ffs!) for one or two players instead of just shopping in the free transfer market then things may go better for us with time.

In amidst the clusterf*ck that is our club let me say something positive. We are doing the right thing by searching our Championship for emerging talents like we did with McCowan and like we are doing with Rudden and getting them signed. Those two may or may not work out in the long run, who know, but it is the right idea.

Only the gruesome twosome, Hibs, Hearts, Sheep, and United pay more than us per week. Every year we should be identifying and signing and/or getting on pca's one or two players from the group of similar sized Scottish teams or even the teams that pay more than us if we can possibly identify players we can nick.

Any one signing can be a disaster or go wrong, but overall we should bear fruit over time. We may survive our current relegation battle or we may not, but we'll be back here again next year scrambling around in January in desperation at the foot of the table. We need a new plan.

Edited by CanadianDee

Well, it's just factually correct.
In the past 10 years we've had:
Letheren, Bain, Mitchell, Schenk, Parish, Malherbe, Dieng, Hazard & Ferrie.
Only Bain gets close to Legzdins really and that was because he was one of the best keepers in Scotland for about 6 month. After that spell, even Parish statistically outperformed Bain in the same Dundee team.
Legzdins has kept the same number of top flight clean sheets in 21 league games as Bain did in his final 50 league games for Dundee which is 4.
And I think we could all agree that the defence of Gadzhalov, Konrad, Meekings & Jack Hendry are significantly better options than the likes of Liam Fontaine.
Bain could pull off some amazing saves, but he couldn't organise or command his box in near the same way that Legzdins can.

TBQHWY I don’t actually agree the Gadz and Konrad were any better than say Ashcroft. Both were mediocre at best and their subsequent career paths kinda back that up. Maybe it was the injuries but Meekings was significantly worse than the likes of Fontaine. The Legend is miles better than Jack Hamilton of course, but he’s actually bang average, and nowhere near as good as Bain, irrespective of the stats.
I think the real point here is how shite our recruitment has been, on the park and in the dugout, over the last 10 years.