All things Dundee FC

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He did work IMO. 10 goals in a team that had zero creativity. No McMullan, no Charlie Adam, not even the energy of Max Anderson. He put in a power of donkey work, dragged us up the pitch, notched double figures all whilst suffering from a horrific bout of depression.

He also played up top on his own when he was nominated for PotY in all of Scottish football scoring 22 league goals in the process. He's a guy that's played up top on his own for the majority of his career.

Hemmings would be in the team a lot more, add a lot more to the general team and likely out-score whatever Cummings would get since Cummings hasn't got double figures in a season since playing for Hibs in the Championship in the 16/17 season.

It's all relative since we won't be signing Hemmings, but my point is that you could probably combine the effort and output that Cummings, Mullen & Griffiths will give us this season and it wouldn't reach what Kane Hemmings would do with Paul McMullan stretching defences and Charlie Adam putting the ball into dangerous areas IMO.

He was running around on his own like a headless chicken, chasing lost causes, that's my memory of it. Love the guy, We've had some great strikers that McPake doesn't have a clue how to utilise.

Just now, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

He was running around on his own like a headless chicken, chasing lost causes, that's my memory of it. Love the guy, We've had some great strikers that McPake doesn't have a clue how to utilise.

Scoring 10 goals and assisting quite a few more!

Can't disagree with the second sentence, that I suppose is the real big issue overall!

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cummings is little more than a shite poacher and can't play up top on his own and we're not good enough to give him a partner up top and he's not good enough to play on the wing.

Why can't he play up top on his own?

He started four out of the first five matches of the season in the lone striker role contributing:

• A goal against St Mirren
  • Playing the lone striker in the cup win over Motherwell where we were by far the better team
  • Scoring against Hibs in another good display

He then started in the 1 0 defeat to Motherwell before being dropped for an unfit Leigh Griffiths. The only other crack he's had to start was on the wing against Ross County. 

If you want to add in the cup games, he banged in another three before the league campaign meaning he has a total of six goals so far this season without being given a sniff for the majority of it. 

Definitely not treated well by McPake. Dropping him for an unfit Griffiths may well be the cause of our plight depending on the remainder of the season. Undeserved flack for what he's done this season on the pitch IMO.

Thank you.

As for Griffiths i'm content to see him stay.

He played okay against Aberdeen (not just the goal) and put in a good shift against Hearts IMO. His cross for McGowan which nearly led to a goal was technical ability that you couldn't replace in this window. 

Griffiths, Cummings and Mullen will score enough to keep us up. We need to sort out the defence and bring in more natural options in wide areas completed with a centre mid. If we do that we'll stay up. 

Thank you. 

15 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Why can't he play up top on his own?

He started four out of the first five matches of the season in the lone striker role contributing:

• A goal against St Mirren
  • Playing the lone striker in the cup win over Motherwell where we were by far the better team
  • Scoring against Hibs in another good display

He then started in the 1 0 defeat to Motherwell before being dropped for an unfit Leigh Griffiths. The only other crack he's had to start was on the wing against Ross County. 

If you want to add in the cup games, he banged in another three before the league campaign meaning he has a total of six goals so far this season without being given a sniff for the majority of it. 

Definitely not treated well by McPake. Dropping him for an unfit Griffiths may well be the cause of our plight depending on the remainder of the season. Undeserved flack for what he's done this season on the pitch IMO.

Thank you.

I think he's proven consistently that he can't play up top on his own. He isn't strong, he can't hold the ball up, he doesn't link others into play, he doesn't have a particularly good first touch, he's not got a lot of pace and his only natural talent is his poaching ability. He also played up top for 90 minutes in the 3-1 defeat away to St Johnstone (just as an addition to the games you mention). He can certainly put the ball in the net better than an unfit Griffiths and Danny Mullen, but that's hardly a compliment at this stage and Danny Mullen has already shown that he's a better option up top on his own despite having a horrific scoring record. I don't think he offers the technical ability up top that Griffiths does and I don't think he offers the energy that Danny Mullen does IMO.

In the game against St Mirren, when Cummings scored we were playing 2 up top with Cillian Sheridan being the other striker. The 2 he scored against Forfar was also as we played 2 up top with him and Mullen. The goal against Montrose was a penalty. Even the goal he scored against Hearts was with him and Sheridan up top together.

Edited by Ludo*1

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think he's proven consistently that he can't play up top on his own. He isn't strong, he can't hold the ball up, he doesn't link others into play, he doesn't have a particularly good first touch, he's not got a lot of pace and his only natural talent is his poaching ability. He also played up top for 90 minutes in the 3-1 defeat away to St Johnstone (just as an addition to the games you mention). He can certainly put the ball in the net better than an unfit Griffiths and Danny Mullen, but that's hardly a compliment at this stage and Danny Mullen has already shown that he's a better option up top on his own despite having a horrific scoring record. I don't think he offers the technical ability up top that Griffiths does and I don't think he offers the energy that Danny Mullen does IMO.

In the game against St Mirren, when Cummings scored we were playing 2 up top with Cillian Sheridan being the other striker. The 2 he scored against Forfar was also as we played 2 up top with him and Mullen. The goal against Montrose was a penalty. Even the goal he scored against Hearts was with him and Sheridan up top together.

Sheridan literally came on 60 seconds before he scored against St Mirren, playing no role in the goal. At Tynecastle Cummings was used as a winger once again; didn't take the position of a striker once which i remember clearly as i was giving McPake pelters for deploying him there, only for him to pop up with a goal. 

Since he hasn't been given a sniff since the opening games where he scored in the majority of them whilst we picked up points think it's very harsh to say he's consistently showed he can't play up top on his own. 

Especially when he played up top in big games at the end of last season such as QoS away and the Raith play off match. We consistently pick up points when he starts up top. That's factual whether people like his style up top or not. 

Not arguing over the fact Mullen is more useful in the lone striker role with his running and fully deserved to start of late but Cummings gets unfair treatment from the fans. He's not played as a striker since scoring freely at the start of the season. Why people would be glad to see the back of him (not you) always bemuses me. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Dundee-FC92

4 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Sheridan literally came on 60 seconds before he scored against St Mirren, playing no role in the goal. At Tynecastle Cummings was used as a winger once again; didn't take the position of a striker once which i remember clearly as i was giving McPake pelters for deploying him there, only for him to pop up with a goal. 

Since he hasn't been given a sniff since the opening games where he scored in the majority of them whilst we picked up points think it's very harsh to say he's consistently showed he can't play up top on his own. 

Especially when he played up top in big games at the end of last season such as QoS away and the Raith play off match. We consistently pick up points when he starts up top. That's factual whether people like his style up top or not. 

Not arguing over the fact Mullen is more useful in the lone striker role with his running and fully deserved to start of late but Cummings gets unfair treatment from the fans. He's not played as a striker since scoring freely at the start of the season. Why people would be glad to see the back of him (not you) always bemuses me. 

Thank you. 

We're clearly never gonna convince each other. I think the opposite, I think Cummings gets a bit of a free ride from the fans because he has scored a few when his general play has been very poor IMO.

Fair enough though!

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

We're clearly never gonna convince each other. I think the opposite, I think Cummings gets a bit of a free ride from the fans because he has scored a few when his general play has been very poor IMO.

Fair enough though!

Forgot to mention the Saints away game we played five at the back with McMullen in a two with Cummings so he never played the lone striker.  The likes of Marshall were that bad that day Cummings doesn't even enter the frame for criticism. 

If we went over the season and look to where we lost points people like Legzdins, Kerr (who has been better than usual lately), Christie and Marshall would be more culpable than the Cumdog or Griffiths who take all the flak. 

Indeed though, each to their own. 

Thank you. 

Just now, Dundee-FC92 said:

Forgot to mention the Saints away game we played five at the back with McMullen in a two with Cummings so he never played the lone striker.  The likes of Marshall were that bad that day Cummings doesn't even enter the frame for criticism. 

If we went over the season and look to where we lost points people like Legzdins, Kerr (who has been better than usual lately), Christie and Marshall would be more culpable than the Cumdog or Griffiths who take all the flak. 

Indeed though, each to their own. 

Thank you. 

I'm not blaming Cummings (or indeed Griffiths) for us losing points, I just think he's utterly ineffective up top on his own and not worth a wage if we're never going to go with a 2.

I like Ashcroft and McGowan but I find the news that both have extensions to their contracts very underwhelming.

Ashcroft's defending is just not good enough for this level. McGowan has been a loyal servant but there are times you can see that the mind is willing but the body (or rather legs) aren't up to it.

Both re-signings look like a complete lack of ambition to me.