All things Dundee FC

Is there no worry at all amongst Dundee fans about the intentions of their owners?  I get that they seem above board and the plan sounds exciting, but i just always have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind what their motivation is?

It is surely to make money, and in the eyes of an American coming into Scottish football then isn't the obvious solution one stadium in the city, and even one team?  Whilst we know it would never work out that way, but to an outsider the prospect of double the home support and the chance of becoming Scotland's third force must have entered their thoughts, especially when Utd are also American owned.

The thought of renting a stadium out of town, Dens being demolished,  then the new ground not getting started for one reason after another.. a few years down the line the fanbase scunnered with travelling agree to a ground share at Tannadice. Or worse.

There's a crematorium attached - that's a licence to print money.

They'll also be looking to use the stadium more outside normal match days.

2 hours ago, K.T said:

Yes the Caballero Crossing must remain a feature. With our new nautical theme I also motion for us to remove the players traditional captain’s armband and replace it with a captain’s hat.

Does this mean I now live in Dryburgh Dry Dock?

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm not aware of anything coming before council officers beyond some informal meetings 2 years ago though.

No idea what stage they are at in terms of approval or whatever but the plans have definitely been gone over by both planning and building standards from what I know.

3 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Would be quite happy to be burned in the crematorium* if it made the Dees money.

*not just now, when I'm dead.

Thank you.

Alas no. It's part of the council rubber stamp deal as the only crematorium in Dundee is privately owned.

Likewise the housing scheme planned behind the Ice arena. I believe the properties would remain in ownership of Dark Blue Property Holdings but let out by the council. 

Guaranteed income for the yanks if it's council stock and the council collect CT from all new properties. Win win.

You also have the proposed expansion to the Ice arena for purpose built curling rink and I remember the SRU saying they would make use of the facilities as there is nothing really suitable on this coast.

All looks great for the council, especially when they add in the bit about using heat waste from the Ice arena as a useful product for the stadium pitch heating.

19 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Surely as business men. "Making money" they would then find people who would then make these decisions for them. Whatever way you want to look at it recruitment has been a disgrace for the most part since they have been in charge. 

Has progression or anything happened over the years since they have been in charge ? Right now no I don't believe so. Apart from not being in administration again that's been a bonus. 

Again more paper talk of the stadium and whatever. Until things actual happen then start believing in something.  

The football team maybe isn't such a priority to them in terms of a business - a loss leader if you like.  It seems the stadium venture, and all it entails, was the draw for them.  

End of the day, we have no choice other than to cross our fingers and hope for the best.  

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

The football team maybe isn't such a priority to them in terms of a business - a loss leader if you like.  It seems the stadium venture, and all it entails, was the draw for them.  

End of the day, we have no choice other than to cross our fingers and hope for the best.  

Right, wrong or something in the middle this is how a lot of the very biggest clubs function.

Man City etc are primarily  massive and very expensive billboards for other businesses. Some manage to retain a bit of a soul and others go full Red Bull. That's not to dismiss their importance, it's just that the clubs' brand and the emotions associated with it carry equity to burn, more than they could ever use just selling football shirts.

Airlines and Gazprom might have to wait though, a new cremmy, some training and event facilities and a housing estate sounds more our size for the moment. Dundee being involved makes what is otherwise a pretty dull project for the council much easier to get off the ground. Who really wants to pay for a new cremmy, no matter how needed it is? No-one unless they can say they are part of some regeneration thing with heart and soul of the city DboxofficeFC involved.

Anyway... screw Gazprom.

Edited by The Algebraist

1 hour ago, The Algebraist said:

Right, wrong or something in the middle this is how a lot of the very biggest clubs function.

Man City etc are primarily  massive and very expensive billboards for other businesses. Some manage to retain a bit of a soul and others go full Red Bull. That's not to dismiss their importance, it's just that the clubs' brand and the emotions associated with it carry equity to burn, more than they could ever use just selling football shirts.

Airlines and Gazprom might have to wait though, a new cremmy, some training and event facilities and a housing estate sounds more our size for the moment. Dundee being involved makes what is otherwise a pretty dull project for the council much easier to get off the ground. Who really wants to pay for a new cremmy, no matter how needed it is? No-one unless they can say they are part of some regeneration thing with heart and soul of the city DboxofficeFC involved.

Anyway... screw Gazprom.

Good post.

The thing that frustrates me most about the stadium chat is the constant questions of what happens if things go tits up and FPS up sticks and go. Well, we deal with it as we have had to in the past and hope somebody else comes along and picks up the baton.  What can we do as fans - we don't have any control over who owns us and what their motives are - same as most fans?

I don't doubt FPS' motives not do I think they will remain behind if the stadium venture is no more - it's what's keeping them involved.  

19 hours ago, locheedee said:

No idea what stage they are at in terms of approval or whatever but the plans have definitely been gone over by both planning and building standards from what I know.

We are probably talking about the same meeting.

I'm 99% sure planning permission hasn't been applied for yet but that needn't be a long process if the preparatory conversations have taken place. 

I would guess the biggest stumbling block would be any change to access/egress on Kingsway so interesting to see what Transport Scotland say and what the cost of that would be.