All things Dundee FC

52 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Never can understand the disrespect for John Hughes. Is it because he talks funny? He never done a bad job anywhere he’s been, apart from Raith but they were fucked anyway.

He took Hibs to Europe, won a cup with inverness and took them to europe and kept a Ross County side who looked guaranteed to be relegated last season up. He also got Falkirk promoted, kept them up for 4 years and got them to a Scottish cup final.

His inverness side used to regularly give us a good hiding as well.

Literally every club he's managed end up fucked in the 2/3 years after he's left, financially and in terms of the squad he left. That can't be a coincidence. 

His ICT success was almost entirely down to Butchers squad, and his ruined it while increasing their budget and leading to their relegation. I think it took them 2/3 years to get all the big earners off their books.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Literally every club he's managed end up fucked in the 2/3 years after he's left, financially and in terms of the squad he left. That can't be a coincidence. 

His ICT success was almost entirely down to Butchers squad, and his ruined it while increasing their budget and leading to their relegation. I think it took them 2/3 years to get all the big earners off their books.

That and yogi is well known for his kick them off the park style of management.

54 minutes ago, Crawford said:

That and yogi is well known for his kick them off the park style of management.

That’s not true. His inverness side played some of the best football I’ve seen from a non-OF side. 

Be interesting to see how he does at Dunfermline. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t do well.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aside from your current manager I think you’d struggle to find another manager in Scottish football just now with a CV like his yet folk seem to constantly turn their nose up at him and I usually think it’s because he has a bit of a funny accent and likes a laugh.

I’d agree that his signing record isn’t the best and maybe he’s not the most intelligent in terms of business decisions but you can’t say that he’s not a very good manager/coach.

Would like to see him at a club where there is a DoF who can make those sorts of decisions for him. Do Dunfermline have one?

4 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Aside from your current manager I think you’d struggle to find another manager in Scottish football just now with a CV like his yet folk seem to constantly turn their nose up at him and I usually think it’s because he has a bit of a funny accent and likes a laugh.

Nah I think that's just an excuse used by those who like him.

The majority of folk see the aftermath he leaves and don't want him blowing their club up. Can you think of a single side he left in a better state than he found it in? Every clubs trajectory points downwards and struggles to recover by his final season.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah I think that's just an excuse used by those who like him.

The majority of folk see the aftermath he leaves and don't want him blowing their club up. Can you think of a single side he left in a better state than he found it in? Every clubs trajectory points downwards and struggles to recover by his final season.

Off the top of my head he left Falkirk after winning losing the Scottish cup final and left inverness after finishing 3rd and winning a cup the season before and finishing 7th in his last season. I’m not sure either of those clubs could go much higher so the only possible way was down.

Im not sure you can really blame him for the job the next manager did and I’m not sure a Falkirk team getting to a cup final and an Inverness team who finished 7th having competed in Wurope and won a cup the year before can be considered a “state”

What have the likes of Jack Ross and Stephen Glass done to get the respect they both seem to have?

Edited by RossDee01

25 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Off the top of my head he left Falkirk after winning losing the Scottish cup final and left inverness after finishing 3rd and winning a cup the season before and finishing 7th in his last season. I’m not sure either of those clubs could go much higher so the only possible way was down.

Im not sure you can really blame him for the job the next manager did and I’m not sure a Falkirk team getting to a cup final and an Inverness team who finished 7th having competed in Wurope and won a cup the year before can be considered a “state”

What have the likes of Jack Ross and Stephen Glass done to get the respect they both seem to have?

He took charge of a Falkirk side who had finished 1st in the First Division and denied promotion to the top flight, then got them promoted after a season. He left them after finishing 11th, 1 point off relegation, and with players like Burton O'Brien sucking money out the club on unnecessary wages. His replacement was shite but they couldn't afford a proper manager or squad as they tried to recover.

Took over a Hibs side who'd finished 6th and filled with young talent, and left them after a starting a season with 0 victories in 3 months and spending 6 figures on Martin Scott and David Stephens. His final window just horrendous.

Wasn't long at Livi but obviously relegated Hartlepool. 

Took over an ICT side who'd finished 4th, won them a cup. Final season they finished 7th, but he'd kept demanding money, Owain Fon Williams was on over £2k a week, and ICT were shipping money. Another club forced to hire the cheapest possible manager and squad after he left as they tried to recover financially.

Relegated Raith by losing that Brechin side.

Ross County he was there for 5 months, and helped them avoid relegation, as much thanks to an abysmal Hamilton side who accounted for just under half his 5 wins in the league over his 20 games in charge.

He seems fine short term, especially if the squad is strong, but if you let him build a squad you'll start heading downwards and find yourself running out of money. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Yogi is a good short-term option for a team who need results and motivation with what they've already got for a squad, but not for a long-term plan/financial investment for success. It's pretty simple and I don't know why there needs to be a big debate about it.

11 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Yogi is a good short-term option for a team who need results and motivation with what they've already got for a squad, but not for a long-term plan/financial investment for success. It's pretty simple and I don't know why there needs to be a big debate about it.

I’m just giving my opinion. I don’t think there are many better coaches in Scottish football than him. 

Not sure why RG keeps going back to the who business aspect of things as my point is that at the right club with a DoF I think he’d be a great first team coach.

Anyway, I’m bored of going round in circles - 3 weeks without a game is fucking shite. Good to see Jakubiak had the boots back in today - been impressed with him every time I’ve seen him. 

46 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Anyway, I’m bored of going round in circles - 3 weeks without a game is fucking shite. Good to see Jakubiak had the boots back in today - been impressed with him every time I’ve seen him. 

Should’ve stayed in the Championship mate, games on during the international breaks is great. 

I am jumping a week ahead but what is your ticketing process is it online eg a QR code or is it actual paper tickets?

You go to the shop, hand over some groats and they give you a slate to hand to the slate collector at the gate. WTF is a QR code and what is this ‘paper’ you talk of?

4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

You go to the shop, hand over some groats and they give you a slate to hand to the slate collector at the gate. WTF is a QR code and what is this ‘paper’ you talk of?

I anticipated this option for the locals I was keen to understand if I needed to collect a bill of passage from Fir Park or pay for postage or if the electric medium of intertwined netting could be taken advantage of.

Apologies in advance this has nothing to do with Dundee. Just fell down a wormhole regarding Yogi.

I know we've kind of passed the Yogi point and even then, the argument was about his coaching ability rather than his managerial prowess, but I've had a quick look at his signings over the years and holy f**k. Even the poorest of Dundee managers have a better signing track record.

Starting with Hibs 09-10:

Danny Galbraith, Patrick Cregg, Kevin McBride, Graham Stack, Liam Miller, Graeme Smith, Mark Brown & Anthony Stokes. - 1 successful signing in Stokes.

Hibs 10-11:

David Stephens, Michael Hart, Edwin de Graaf,  Francis Dickoh, Valdas Trakys, Matt Thornhill & 100k for Martin Scott. - 0 successful signings.

Livi 12-13:

Tony Andreu (wasn't a success until Hamilton), Jordan Morton, David Luongo, Burton O'Brien & Jesus Garcia Tena - 0 successful signings.

Inverness 14-15:

Taarmo Kink, Edward Ofere, Ibra Sekajja, Lewis Horner & Ryan Baptie. - 0 successful signings.

Inverness 15-16:

Nat Wedderburn, Ryan Christie (loaned back to ICT - so not counting), Jordan Roberts, Dani Lopez, Owain Fon Williams, Iain Vigurs, Miles Storey, Tobi Sho-Silva, Dani Lopez & Alex Fisher. - 2 successful signings in Vigurs & Storey.

Raith 16-17:

Pavol Penska, David Syme & Scott Roberts - 0 successful signings.

Ross County 20-21:

Tony Andreu, Mohamed Maouche, Leo Hjelde, Joe Hilton & Jordan White. - 1 successful signing in White.

So since his successful spell with Falkirk in his first managerial job, he's signed 4 players who could be deemed as a success for the clubs he's managed in 12 years of management. Oft.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Apologies in advance this has nothing to do with Dundee. Just fell down a wormhole regarding Yogi.

I know we've kind of passed the Yogi point and even then, the argument was about his coaching ability rather than his managerial prowess, but I've had a quick look at his signings over the years and holy f**k. Even the poorest of Dundee managers have a better signing track record.

Starting with Hibs 09-10:

Danny Galbraith, Patrick Cregg, Kevin McBride, Graham Stack, Liam Miller, Graeme Smith, Mark Brown & Anthony Stokes. - 1 successful signing in Stokes.

Hibs 10-11:

David Stephens, Michael Hart, Edwin de Graaf,  Francis Dickoh, Valdas Trakys, Matt Thornhill & 100k for Martin Scott. - 0 successful signings.

Livi 12-13:

Tony Andreu (wasn't a success until Hamilton), Jordan Morton, David Luongo, Burton O'Brien & Jesus Garcia Tena - 0 successful signings.

Inverness 14-15:

Taarmo Kink, Edward Ofere, Ibra Sekajja, Lewis Horner & Ryan Baptie. - 0 successful signings.

Inverness 15-16:

Nat Wedderburn, Ryan Christie (loaned back to ICT - so not counting), Jordan Roberts, Dani Lopez, Owain Fon Williams, Iain Vigurs, Miles Storey, Tobi Sho-Silva, Dani Lopez & Alex Fisher. - 2 successful signings in Vigurs & Storey.

Raith 16-17:

Pavol Penska, David Syme & Scott Roberts - 0 successful signings.

Ross County 20-21:

Tony Andreu, Mohamed Maouche, Leo Hjelde, Joe Hilton & Jordan White. - 1 successful signing in White.

So since his successful spell with Falkirk in his first managerial job, he's signed 4 players who could be deemed as a success for the clubs he's managed in 12 years of management. Oft.

Good but of research there Ludo.

Not trying to be controversial as I really don’t know the answer.  How many players did Hartley (I’m choosing him as I think he has signed the most players for us in recent times)  sign as a manager with us over a shorter period of time and how many of them went onto bigger and better things V how many signings Hughes signed as detailed above by yourself?

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Good but of research there Ludo.

Not trying to be controversial as I really don’t know the answer.  How many players did Hartley (I’m choosing him as I think he has signed the most players for us in recent times)  sign as a manager with us over a shorter period of time and how many of them went onto bigger and better things V how many signings Hughes signed as detailed above by yourself?

If we're choosing just his spell at us (as a few of his signings often did go on to better things in his spells at other clubs) then here is how it looks:

14-15:

Thomas Konrad, James McPake, Kevin Thomson, Greg Stewart, Scott Bain, Simon Ferry, Phil Roberts, David Clarkson, Paul Heffernan, Paul McGowan, Paul McGinn, Luka Tankulic, Kosta Gadzhalov, Gary Harkins, Alex Harris, Stephen McGinn & Dylan Carreiro. - I'd say there's 9 successful signings in that season, but as for players that moved onto bigger things, 4 players went on to play for a bigger club.

15-16:

Riccardo Calder, Kane Hemmings, Rory Loy, Daryl Meggatt, Nick Ross, David Mitchell, Darren O'Dea, Kevin Holt, Nicky Low, Rhys Healey, Arturo, Julen Etxabeguren & Jesse Curran - I'd say 5-6 successes but as for bigger clubs it'd be 3 in Hemmings, David Mitchell (Hibs) & Rhys Healey.

16-17:

Yordi Teijsse, James Vincent, Danny Williams, Faissal El Bakhtaoui, Mark O'Hara, Marc Klok & Marcus Haber. - 2 successes but none played at a higher level than ourselves.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

If we're choosing just his spell at us (as a few of his signings often did go on to better things in his spells at other clubs) then here is how it looks:

14-15:

Thomas Konrad, James McPake, Kevin Thomson, Greg Stewart, Scott Bain, Simon Ferry, Phil Roberts, David Clarkson, Paul Heffernan, Paul McGowan, Paul McGinn, Luka Tankulic, Kosta Gadzhalov, Gary Harkins, Alex Harris, Stephen McGinn & Dylan Carreiro. - I'd say there's 9 successful signings in that season, but as for players that moved onto bigger things, 4 players went on to play for a bigger club.

15-16:

Riccardo Calder, Kane Hemmings, Rory Loy, Daryl Meggatt, Nick Ross, David Mitchell, Darren O'Dea, Kevin Holt, Nicky Low, Rhys Healey, Arturo, Julen Etxabeguren & Jesse Curran - I'd say 5-6 successes but as for bigger clubs it'd be 3 in Hemmings, David Mitchell (Hibs) & Rhys Healey.

16-17:

Yordi Teijsse, James Vincent, Danny Williams, Faissal El Bakhtaoui, Mark O'Hara, Marc Klok & Marcus Haber. - 2 successes but none played at a higher level than ourselves.

Again, a good bit of research Ludo - see what 3 weekends of no Dundee can do to a fan!

If only Hartley could have repeated, or got near to season 14-15 again.  We’d have never had to endure McIntyre!