All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Motherwell showed how it could be done with Kipre. He didn't have any interest being there long term and they played the market and got £1 million. Come in in short term deal and they were instantly throwing offers at him and obviously planning his departure early on.

Aye, Kipré signed 3 different contracts with us in the one season.

We had him in on trial along with another centre back (Bira Dembele) who ended up patching us to move back to France. 

Kipré signed a 1 year deal after the trial games in July, he signed a fresh deal with an extra year in August, then an extension to 2020 in April '18. We sold him to Wigan in August 18. Some boi.

Amusingly there were folk who were absolutely fucking furious that we chucked extensions at him when he'd only played a handful of games. :lol:

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know you boys don't like him, but how would you feel about him getting the Rangers job?

You mean then the vacancy for the new car park attendant?  I’m afraid that would still be a no from me.  I think that would still be way too complicated for McIntyre to understand.

Cove winning 3-0 the day. Robertson on the bench and no game time. Presume was cause his birthday was yesterday n he got fucked. Didn't realise he was 19

Fuck sake. Robertson is going backwards. I thought he was the best young talent we’d produced in my lifetime, seems like a long way back for him now.

Thought this weekend was fairly brutal without club football and was looking forward to next week as we got back to the real stuff playing Motherwell. Absolutely gutted when I realised it's another fucking fortnight away.

13 hours ago, Fifespud said:

f**k sake. Robertson is going backwards. I thought he was the best young talent we’d produced in my lifetime, seems like a long way back for him now.

Not necessarily, it was always said it was probably too big a drop in level for him. He should be going somewhere where he will see the majority of the ball and flourish with experience of working pockets and turning the play over. 

I can't help but feel whoever was in charge of it all thought "punt him there, he'll come back a man" which is just a prehistoric outlook to have. The laddie should never have went any lower than Championship. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Not necessarily, it was always said it was probably too big a drop in level for him. He should be going somewhere where he will see the majority of the ball and flourish with experience of working pockets and turning the play over. 

I can't help but feel whoever was in charge of it all thought "punt him there, he'll come back a man" which is just a prehistoric outlook to have. The laddie should never have went any lower than Championship. 

We seem to be good at sending players on loan to lower league teams and then after that never to be seen again. Apart from Cammy Kerr it seems. 

Yeh he was McPake boy he took with him in the squad so still may have a future. 

8 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

We seem to be good at sending players on loan to lower league teams and then after that never to be seen again. Apart from Cammy Kerr it seems. 

Yeh he was McPake boy he took with him in the squad so still may have a future. 

And last one before that was Scott Robertson ,

Speaking of Finlay Robertson, here is what the sites' resident Cove fan had to say about him:

On 13/11/2021 at 14:22, CoveRangers1922 said:

There is a strong interest/alliance to Dundee as you rightly say. 

I'd love to say Robertson can excel at Dundee in the Premiership but I don't see it. I think he'd struggle in the championship going by his performances so far and is rightly benched today imo.

For me I'd put him 5th in our CM pecking order; Fyvie, Scully, Yule, Vigurs, Finn. 

Lyall Cameron always impresses me and although Josh Mulligan looked out of his depth for us he's been impressive at Peterhead this season.

Robertson would look class in a team that had 99% possession.  Put him in a team or league where the ball sails over his head four million times a game then what's the point.  

He's sorta like the poundland Gilmour, he'll take the ball off his centre halves no bother at all and in tight areas where others wouldn't.  

Plus he's still about 6 year old.

7 hours ago, The Derry said:

Robertson would look class in a team that had 99% possession.  Put him in a team or league where the ball sails over his head four million times a game then what's the point.  

He's sorta like the poundland Gilmour, he'll take the ball off his centre halves no bother at all and in tight areas where others wouldn't.  

Plus he's still about 6 year old.

Valid point, well made.  

Even under McCann (the self proclaimed coach of good football) we never played the ball out from the back.  We passed the ball about a lot at the back until we were closed down.  Then it was a big hoof up the park while under pressure, rather than a considered long ball when not under pressure.

Edited by Shadow Play

Finlay Robertson is in a Paul Hartley team that is based around getting the ball on the deck tbf. They have basically built their team round Fraser Fyvie and have had more possession (usually by a fair distance ie around the 56-61% overall) in pretty much every game this season bar a few exceptions. If he can't dominate the midfield for an upper tier League 1 team that keep the ball on the ground, generally speaking, then what hope has he got at doing it at a higher up level?

Not writing him off as he's clearly very talented, but maybe he's at the right level for his development just now?

17 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Valid point, well made.  

Even under McCann (the self proclaimed coach of good football) we never played the ball out from the back.  We passed the ball about a lot at the back until we were closed down.  Then it was a big hoof up the park while under pressure, rather than a considered long ball when not under pressure.

I actually don't see what people see in Robertson. You see needed game time so we needed him out on loan to a team we knew would guarantee him games. League 1 shouldn't be an issue as with this talent people have seen ( can't lie I don't see what others have n thats fine by me ) then he should be starting for Cove. I'm worried lack of game time. Anderson came in after Robertson and he made things happen. 

He is now 19 so should be looking for some sort of progression.  If he came back to Dundee I don't think I'd risk put him in the team over anyone in the midfield. 

See what second half of the season has to offer for him, maybe just a blip and turns out to be class and I'm talking shite.