All things Dundee FC

58 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What chance have you got when even the local media are absolute shitebags with headlines like this?

'Local media' 😃 All these clowns are good for is printing the Beano.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Yenitit said:

What was the manager’s thinking with that game plan? Sit off them for 75 minutes and hope we can knick a point 🤷🏼‍♂️ Then when we did change shape there was just total confusion by the players in not knowing where they were now being asked to play. We’re surely working on 2 or 3 formations during the week so the players know exactly what’s asked of them. If the back 5 isn’t working (again) change to a 4-5-1 , if someone gets sent off we change to a 4-4-1 for example. I can’t understand the fullbacks defending. Surely the 1st thing you do when the ball is played out wide is for the fullbacks to sprint out to put the wingers 1st touch under pressure. We stand a good 5 yards off them and just attempt to get our bodies in the road when the cross is being swung in. I can understand the midfield standing off because Charlie and Gowser don’t have the legs to be in people’s faces but the fullbacks definitely do.  

The organisation was that bad at 1 point in the 1st half we had players asking the manager who was taking the corners 🤦🏻‍♂️

The club has to be doing better than this. We lie down to Celtic every time we play them. Get in there faces, put some tackles in, push up the park and at least try and get their defence turning. I sat through to the bitter end watching 6 at Tannadice, 7 at McDairmid and 6’s numerous times at Parkhead and Ibrox but I seriously contemplated leaving as soon as the 1st goal went in yesterday because we were so far off the pace of the game, sitting so deep, the team line up was a farce and it was going to be a walk in the park for Celtic. 

Getting c**t seek of it tbh. 

Good post. Should be in their faces, having a proper go...not standing off letting them have the ball. Scoring two goals showed how weak they were when attacked. Don't mind this attitude so much at Celtic Pk or Ibrox but never at Dens.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

What chance have you got when even the local media are absolute shitebags with headlines like this?

That headline beggar's belief in its shitehousery. That's even worse than the usual 'bothsides' are just as bad as the other political journalism that we get here in that it's blaming fans at Dens Park. Who are the fans at Dens Park every week? Dees of course. Anyone (especially a neutral or non-football fan) glancing at that headline would associate the fans in question to meaning us!

What a bunch of nonsense.

1 hour ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

Good post. Should be in their faces, having a proper go...not standing off letting them have the ball. Scoring two goals showed how weak they were when attacked. Don't mind this attitude so much at Celtic Pk or Ibrox but never at Dens.

I'm not sure pressing high, when you've got Adam in midfield, two shite full backs, and a lack of pace in defence, would be wise against Kyogo/Jota/Abada tbh. Celtic are a bit dodgy at the back but it's naive to just ignore how good they are on the ball.

I remember our fans screaming for us to "have a go" at them years ago, we went hell for leather from the start and went in at half time about 5 goals down.

Guest Wieghortsnut
23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not sure pressing high, when you've got Adam in midfield, two shite full backs, and a lack of pace in defence, would be wise against Kyogo/Jota/Abada tbh. Celtic are a bit dodgy at the back but it's naive to just ignore how good they are on the ball.

I remember our fans screaming for us to "have a go" at them years ago, we went hell for leather from the start and went in at half time about 5 goals down.

Your right enough there tbh, if you have a go at them or the other cheek, they will just pick you off at will. But on the other hand sitting doesn't work either if your defence is as slow and shite as ours. Just because mcpake was a defender doesn't mean he will coach them any better because he wasn't that good imo

1 minute ago, Wieghortsnut said:

Your right enough there tbh, if you have a go at them or the other cheek, they will just pick you off at will. But on the other hand sitting doesn't work either if your defence is as slow and shite as ours.

Aye its a hard one to judge. Presumably McPake weighed it up and decided a "timid" 2/3 goal loss was better than a potential 5/6 goal loss?

It's a bit negative but ultimately your goal difference could be a major part of your final position so it's sensible for a manager to try and protect it a bit.

Cummings has appeared in 11 games at various points from full 90 and less. Based  on 3 in 11 we are looking at around 12 goals in the league over the season.  Which means...

sesame street nodding GIF

I do wish we could have a CF with a real future coming through rather than the journeymen of now.

Am I the only one that thought we had a wee bit more shape after Charlie was subbed? His legs look to be going with every game now.

Edited by rainbowrising
Seriously need glasses on!

20 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

Cummings has appeared in 11 games at various points from full 90 and less. Based  on 3 in 11 we are looking at around 12 goals in the league over the season.  Which means...

sesame street nodding GIF

I do wish we could have a CF with a real future coming through rather than the journeymen of now.

Am I the only one that thought we had a wee bit more shape after Charlie was subbed? His legs look to be going with every game now.

Adam definitely appeared to have lost the head a bit and was just charging about. Was very worried he’d get sent off. 

On 08/11/2021 at 10:09, Ludo*1 said:

People say that McPake is a terrible manager. I think that's slightly misleading (although ultimately true). I think his man-management skills are up there with the best we've seen at Dens. He consistently still has the squad playing for him through tough spells and manages to evade the bullet and go on a run when it's least expected. He certainly has to be given credit for his dealing with the likes of Kane Hemmings depression and another couple of notable incidents and stuff like that.

The real issue is his coaching. His tactics are regularly found wanting, but his teams are often found exposed for not doing the absolute basics of defending. I genuinely believe that whilst our back line is very, very poor for this level that if they had better organisation at the back, our goals against column wouldn't look near as bad. 

Livingston's back line:

Devlin - Fitzwater - Obileye - Parkes - Kelly

Man for man I wouldn't say that back-line is that much better than ours yet it has conceded 11 fewer goals. That all comes down to what is done on the training pitch. Martindale, for all his faults, has them well drilled, playing for one another and it's not like they've lost potency in attack as they've only scored 1 fewer than us having played a game less. Whereas our defence often looks like they've just met for the first time and have no idea what the other is about to do.

It's on the training pitch where McPake is costing himself above and beyond his signings or general management.

Our 2 centre halves are good enough. Unfortuantely our full backs can't defend so each centre half is having to do the work of 2 

13 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Our 2 centre halves are good enough. Unfortuantely our full backs can't defend so each centre half is having to do the work of 2 

I'm still not sold on Sweeney. Sometimes he's a rock and others he's like bambi on ice.

Ashcroft is woeful. Again, the odd game of being like a warrior but often, too often for me, an absolute bombcare. Has the mobility of a 40 stone bed ridden Jack Russell.