All things Dundee FC

6 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Realist/Pessimist, whatever you want to call it. Thanks, I believed Nelms when he said he was looking for a manager experienced in Scottish football with over 250 games in management prior to appointing McPake. 🤷🏻‍♂️ We've regressed since Hartley and McCann, if you look at how well things were looking at the start of their respective tenures. McIntyre was a disaster, and McPake hasn't improved things. Apart from 6 games in his first season beating a crap Killie team. Saturday was much better, but I still don't think he's the man who will keep us up. 

McPake hasn't improved things since McIntyre?! 

Holy f**k.

2 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Realist/Pessimist, whatever you want to call it. Thanks, I believed Nelms when he said he was looking for a manager experienced in Scottish football with over 250 games in management prior to appointing McPake. 🤷🏻‍♂️ We've regressed since Hartley and McCann, if you look at how well things were looking at the start of their respective tenures. McIntyre was a disaster, and McPake hasn't improved things. Apart from 6 games in his first season beating a crap Killie team. Saturday was much better, but I still don't think he's the man who will keep us up. 

This isn't to say we should go for experience all the time though, in staff or players. Youngest squad in the premiership under McCann (24) 3 years ago to probably the oldest (late twenties - early thirties) now under the former youth coach. The young lads in the academy must not be up to scratch if they couldn't get in ahead of some of the first team going by the season so far 🙄

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

I love responses where we only win because the other team are shite. 

It says alot about us, because I've not been impressed with saints (twice), st Mirren, Motherwell or united either yet we've failed to win those games. Prior to Aberdeen the best we've played was Hibs imo and we should've won. The other teams not just shite when we win. 

Just now, LM_0803 said:

It says alot about us, because I've not been impressed with saints (twice), st Mirren, Motherwell or united either yet we've failed to win those games. Prior to Aberdeen the best we've played was Hibs imo and we should've won. The other teams not just shite when we win. 

St Johnstone were the better team in both games, but they weren't that good, because we made it too easy for them. All three goals in game two coming down our left hand side, where Marshall plays, if I remember correctly 🤔. We were good on Saturday, but that Aberdeen team is terrible. We can win and I can still think there's better, more organised and charismatic coaches out there for us. 

The level of performance on Saturday was the same as most games this season with the only difference is we took some of the chances. Outside the Celtic and St Johnstone game we arguably derserved in terms of performance and chances more points out of every game than we got. 

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

The level of performance on Saturday was the same as most games this season with the only difference is we took some of the chances. Outside the Celtic and St Johnstone game we arguably derserved in terms of performance and chances more points out of every game than we got. 

This is a view I've seen from quite a few fans so far, and from pundits on sportsound. I can't remember us actually threatening opposition goalkeepers much more than 2 or 3 times in any match this season. United away we had three good chances and didn't take any, saints in the cup was the same. Motherwell away, aside from McMullan hitting the bar from 25 yards and Cummings putting it straight at the keeper from 6 yards out we had alot of the ball but did nothing with it, as no one wanted it, so McMullan was constantly coming into the centre circle to take it. The same thing happened at mcdairmid. That doesn't scream a good level of performance in most games this season. 

The odd good performance against an equally shite team will mean nothing if we keep losing stupid goals like the one on Saturday. Again, on Marshall's side. Imagine my shock. 

St Johnstone were the better team in both games, but they weren't that good, because we made it too easy for them. All three goals in game two coming down our left hand side, where Marshall plays, if I remember correctly 🤔. We were good on Saturday, but that Aberdeen team is terrible. We can win and I can still think there's better, more organised and charismatic coaches out there for us. 

The St Johnstone cup game we were the better team for 70 minutes and missed a frightening amount of guilt edged chances. 

The St Johnstone game was a horrendously bad performance with Marshall having an absolute nightmare. Legzdins was as much at fault for the 2nd as Marshall was. 

I totally agree with you about there being better, more organised and charismatic coaches out there but the issue I replied to was you saying things haven’t improved since McIntyre which is nonsense. Arguably it worked in our favour to get relegated to get that dab c**t out our club before he fucked up anymore. 

15 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

This is a view I've seen from quite a few fans so far, and from pundits on sportsound. I can't remember us actually threatening opposition goalkeepers much more than 2 or 3 times in any match this season. United away we had three good chances and didn't take any, saints in the cup was the same. Motherwell away, aside from McMullan hitting the bar from 25 yards and Cummings putting it straight at the keeper from 6 yards out we had alot of the ball but did nothing with it, as no one wanted it, so McMullan was constantly coming into the centre circle to take it. The same thing happened at mcdairmid. That doesn't scream a good level of performance in most games this season. 

The odd good performance against an equally shite team will mean nothing if we keep losing stupid goals like the one on Saturday. Again, on Marshall's side. Imagine my shock. 

Mate the goal came down Kerr’s side but the blame lies with Ashcroft totally fresh airing his clearance then Legzdins not cutting the cross out. 

Motherwell away they scored with their only shot at goal. Yenited never had a shot at our goal from inside the 18 yard box the whole 90 minutes with us having 2 shots blocked off the line, Griffiths header going inches wide and the less said about Sheridan’s effort the better. The Rangers game we don’t need to look  much further than the penalty. The Livingston and St Johnstone cup game was us missing chance after chance with McGhee being a major culprit in both plus inspired goalkeeping. The Hibs and St Mirren games were 2 games were we got shockingly poor penalties given against us. Opportunities don’t just come through shots at goal, it could be crosses that players should be getting on the end of or the final ball letting us down both of which we’ve been extremely guilty of so far this season  

My problems with McPake has been his continual use of Gowser and his terrible substitutions, neither happened on Saturday. 

Edited by Yenitit

I might be reading too much into these quotes from McPake but doesn't sound good about Byrne

"We have to get a clearer picture on the full extent of the injury before we think about anything else.

We have plenty of options in midfield if he is missing for a while.

Shaun is a very important player for us and has been very consistent all year.

And the club will back him whatever happens."

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/2669136/dundeefc-squad-depth-key-covid-james-mcpake/

2 hours ago, locheedee said:

I might be reading too much into these quotes from McPake but doesn't sound good about Byrne

"We have to get a clearer picture on the full extent of the injury before we think about anything else.

We have plenty of options in midfield if he is missing for a while.

Shaun is a very important player for us and has been very consistent all year.

And the club will back him whatever happens."

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/2669136/dundeefc-squad-depth-key-covid-james-mcpake/

I feel like it's safe to say it'll definitely be a few months until we see the man back in action, unfortunately. Hopefully his recovery goes well and he can get back to his normal life soon enough.

As for the rest of that article, happy to hear that those out for COVID issues are available at Tynecastle, so we should have a better bench to utilise. Gowser might be important considering we'll need to find a makeshift CM trio in the interim, and with 4 CMs available we have options at least.

50 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I feel like it's safe to say it'll definitely be a few months until we see the man back in action, unfortunately. Hopefully his recovery goes well and he can get back to his normal life soon enough.

As for the rest of that article, happy to hear that those out for COVID issues are available at Tynecastle, so we should have a better bench to utilise. Gowser might be important considering we'll need to find a makeshift CM trio in the interim, and with 4 CMs available we have options at least.

Yeah having the other guys back is definitely good, not sure we have anyone else that can play Byrne's position though but might be another change of position for McGhee incoming I guess

This was the perfect opportunity for Robertson to try and force his way back into the side.

Unfortunate we can't recall him until January. Not sure any of the others come close to having the same discipline for the role Byrne plays. 

I see the Courier is touting Cammy Kerr for it bizarrely.

Cammy played there before, under Hartley. We went through a phase of attempting everybody there. Konrad was okay. Gadzhalov was the worst fucking thing I've ever seen in a Dundee strip and I'm sure he was hooked after 45mins it was that bad. 

Guest Wieghortsnut
14 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Cammy played there before, under Hartley. We went through a phase of attempting everybody there. Konrad was okay. Gadzhalov was the worst fucking thing I've ever seen in a Dundee strip and I'm sure he was hooked after 45mins it was that bad. 

He tried the Spanish boy there aswel, not even away to attempt spelling his name. Came on for gowser in the doon Derby