All things Dundee FC

Someone in that position is not a striker but a hold-up man.

Since Hemmings went our issue has always been putting the ball in the net. It's fine having the holdup man if your midfield are supporting and making the runs to score - but, bar McGhee, ours doesn't do that regularly enough.

We create enough chances but don’t convert as many as we should. Sheridan doesn't solve that problem.

We have Cumdog. Is he not the epitome of a goalscorer?

For the record I kind off agree with you and your description of what a striker is but we are usually only going to play with one up front for the foreseeable. I’d describe him more as a front man than a striker. We are going to be a relatively low scoring team that concedes less goals, relative to the other bottom 6 teams if we are going to stay up this season. This is because we have learned that you can’t play Charlie in a 4 man midfield or you get horsed. The only way round that would be to play 3,5,2 that turns into 5,3,2 when you lose the ball - that would be a big switch around. Jubiak might well fit in perfectly to in our 4,5,1 formation supporting Cumdog, Sheridan or indeed Mullen. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Something like 13 goals in 25 appearances, quite a few off the bench. His hold up play seems better too. I’m warming to the lad.

Early Days for Cummings at Dens, yet his record is similar to Kane Hemmings with respect to appearances made. 
Over two spells at Dens Kane has 62 appearances and 32 goals. 

Im hopeful that Cummings keeps that average, as it’s no bad at all!

From Tayport FC

Bobby Waddell

The club was saddened to learn of the very sudden death on Tuesday of this week of club legend and an honorary vice-president, Bobby Waddell, one week short of his 82nd birthday. Although originally from Kennoway, Bobby has lived in Tayport for over 50 years and was first involved with Tayport FC as coach during the 1970s where his influence and work ethic rubbed off on not only the players, but also the committee to help build the foundations of the club we know today.

Bobby kicked off his career with St Andrews Swifts Secondary Juveniles and was a member of the side which swept the boards in 1958/59, winning every competition entered, including the Scottish Juvenile Cup. The side was unbeaten and Bobby scored 104 goals that season including two in the Scottish final.

This led to a trial match with East Fife, but in the summer of 1959, Bobby signed for Dundee FC and in August made a scoring debut for the Dark Blues in a League Cup-tie v Rangers before a crowd of 20,000 at Dens Park. Deedle would also make a scoring debut on his first League start v Aberdeen the following month.

In 1961/62 when Dundee FC were Scottish Champions, the same 11 players played in 41 matches with only 4 other players, including Bobby, being called on to play. Alan Gilzean was the main striker but Bobby was to play a crucial role during Gilly’s absence, playing four games in March and scoring the goal in a 1-0 win over Hibs as Dundee homed in on the title.

A knee injury suffered v Zaragoza in a European Cup Winners Cup tie in November1964 put Bobby out of action for six weeks. When Dundee signed centre forward Alex Harley from Birmingham City, Bobby asked for a transfer. After rejecting offers from St Johnstone, Falkirk and Preston North End, he signed for Blackpool, then in the top tier of the English game, for £8,000 in March 1965.

Bobby had played 84 games for Dundee and scored 43 goals, a scoring rate of 51% which will rarely have been bettered at Dens Park.

Among his new teammates at Blackpool were Alan Ball and Jimmy Armfield, both of whom would be World Cup winners with England 15 months later. Bobby again scored on his debut with two goals against West Bromwich Albion in a 3-0 win. During his time at Blackpool he scored in a 2-1 defeat by then League Champions Liverpool and played in a 5-1 win over Manchester United, George Best et al, in a league cup-tie.

18 months later Bobby was on the move again, signing for Bradford Park Avenue for £10,000 as a replacement for Kevin Hector who had just been signed by Derby County. Then it was back to Scotland for two seasons with his first love East Fife. By now playing in midfield, he had a season with Montrose before a knee injury effectively ended his Senior career.
In 1974 and now living in Tayport, it wasn’t any surprise when Bobby became involved with Tayport FC. It was a perfect match. The committee’s efforts to develop the club off the field were matched by Bobby’s coaching as he moulded enthusiastic amateur players into a pretty decent side, as a conversation related by John Brown in the Evening Telegraph’s Blether with Brown some time ago reminds us. Said Blether – “I bumped into Bobby Waddell just recently in the Matalan car park. As I’ve said before, Bobby was the Senior professional at Bayview when I arrived and he went out of his way to make you feel at ease. I’ve met him again many times at various Dundee FC functions. And he never tires of reminding me that he was part of the Tayport FC management team which masterminded the Midlands AFA Gray Trophy Final victory over my Auchterhouse side in the late 1970s” [5-0].
When Tayport decided to enter a team in the East Fife Amateur FA in 1980, Bobby, now aged 40 and reinstated as an amateur, couldn’t resist pulling his boots back on. He played 25 games, scored 16 goals, and helped the team win the Division 2 title, reach two cup finals and won the team’s Player of the Year award. Bobby would later ‘move upstairs’ and was a Tayport FC committee member when the club won its first Scottish Junior Cup in 1996.

Football was Bobby’s life and he would always find a football match whether at Dens, on TV or on the public parks on a Saturday morning. He was a season ticket holder at Bayview and also took in games on East Fife TV. He was delighted recently to have realised an ambition by visiting all Scotland’s League grounds, completing that tour literally on the eve of the pandemic, ticking off Aberdeen’s Balmoral Stadium as Cove Rangers met Brechin City.

We offer our sincere condolences to Madge, Jeffrey and Jessica

Reading the article on the club website and in 63/64, he scored 20 goals for us (5 more than Alan Cousin), but was only our fourth top scorer!! Gilzean on 52 (!), Penman on 30 and Kenny Cameron on 22…

What I would give to have been around to see that team play. 

RIP Bobby. 

1 hour ago, Spikethedee said:

Reading the article on the club website and in 63/64, he scored 20 goals for us (5 more than Alan Cousin), but was only our fourth top scorer!! Gilzean on 52 (!), Penman on 30 and Kenny Cameron on 22…

RIP Bobby. 

It was a complete joy to watch them , only thing is i felt it would be like that forever watching Dundee , still occasionally we get seriously good teams to watch , the team early 70s with Duncan , Wallace and Scott , and the Coyne Wright  and bonnetti team all worth getting excited about , this team now could be worth getting excited about again if they keep this fighting spirit going 

Quite weird that there's only a few days left until the transfer window closes and there isn't so much as a rumour about who's in for Greg Stewart or if he's even been training with anyone AFAIK. If he's not being doing proper training it'll take him about 4 weeks to get up to speed wherever he ends up. 

11 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Quite weird that there's only a few days left until the transfer window closes and there isn't so much as a rumour about who's in for Greg Stewart or if he's even been training with anyone AFAIK. If he's not being doing proper training it'll take him about 4 weeks to get up to speed wherever he ends up. 

Tbf he can sign for someone after the window shuts.

10 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Tbf, he's a free agent so he isn't on that same time limit as others.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf he can sign for someone after the window shuts.

7 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Tbf, he's a free agent so he isn't on that same time limit as others.

I knew that, I was just testing to see if you two did...

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

There's no room for him m8. Need another defender/fullback. IMO.

5 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

RIP Bobby. 

Was he not responsible for the likes of Rae, Wilkie, Langfield, Mackay and Mary batch of youth breaking through?

ETA: Lee Mair. Not mary.

Edited by Ludo*1