All things Dundee FC

21 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Random question: How do fans from Dundee and the area decide who to root for between FC and United? Is it basically who your dad/mum roots for, or is there a geographical boundary as I'm under the impression with Hearts/Hibs?

90% of the DAB's come from east Angus.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

Random question: How do fans from Dundee and the area decide who to root for between FC and United? Is it basically who your dad/mum roots for, or is there a geographical boundary as I'm under the impression with Hearts/Hibs?

It's very much mixed throughout the city. My own wee street has 2 Dee families and 3 United ones.

I'd say it's usually family-oriented, but even that could be all over the place. My dad was the only Dundee fan in his family growing up in the 70s and 80s, with three of his siblings being Arabs and one being a Celtic fan 🤮

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

Good question. My dad was a big rugby man but me and my brother would nip his head about going to games at Dens or tannadice so he'd grudgingly take us. United were a real force in Scotland and in Europe at the time (mid 80s) and I actually went to way more United games than Dundee ones as a child. 

Once I'd left school and could afford to attend football myself I went with my brother and his mate who was a die hard Dee so I never really found my true colours till then. Aged about 16/17. Could just have easily become a DAB as most of my mates supported United. A lucky break I'd say.

In most cases though kids are brought up to back either side by their fathers.

Edited by Big Gus

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Shagging enthusiast - Dundee

Knitting enthusiast - Dundee Celtic. 

I actually went to a United game first when I lived in Dundee. It all felt a bit a bit wishy washy and touristy. 

I tried Dens and noticed it was full of miserable old b*****ds and felt at home immediately. 

Thank you. 

9 minutes ago, Crawford said:

In other news

We are now officially the domestic abuse capital of Scotland.

The drug death capital of Europe.

Highest covid rate in Scotland.

Dundee is box office.

Have we lost the teenage pregnancy crown? 😲

4 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

My Dad and older brother were big Dundee fans, so it was always going to be the case with me. Growing up in Aberdeen and Oban made it quite the novelty for some, as I was the only Dundee fan folk in my age group knew.