All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Scottish prem teams are easy mid-table English Prem

Yet they go to play mid-table Czech, Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Slovakian sides in the Europa League and get their arses utterly handed to them on a regular basis.

maybe I'm being whooshed, but you are completely delusional if you think Hibs, Aberdeen, Livingston etc are 'mid-table English Prem'.

Yeah bit the comparison with Scottish football is never with any of those leagues, it is always with the English leagues. I am not delusional at all to think that any Scottish Premier team should beat any English Championship side.

Taking last season's sides, you honestly believe the likes of Hamilton or Ross County 'should beat' Norwich, Watford, Brentford, who will all be playing EPL football this coming season, when the best sides outwith the OF, so Hibs, Aberdeen, etc can't cope with totally mundane sides who finish half-way down the Danish Superliga, Swiss Challenge League and such?

I'm interested in two things - How you can possibly believe this, and on what exactly do you base your assertion that they 'should' beat them?

The majority of the Championship clubs have budgets way in excess of anything available to most top flight Scots clubs, but never mind that, these Scottish clubs often have budgets many times the size of the continental sides they meet in the Europa League, and still they get drubbed year in year out.

Personally, I think both the OF would really struggle to stave off relegation from the EPL until such time they were in that particular league long enough that they caught up financially. I think they'd both have a job getting out of the English Championship, but I think if you put Livingston, Dundee United, St.Mirren, St.Johnstone etc into the English Championship every single one of them would sink without trace, and be lucky to tread water a further league or two down the pyramid. The idea that these clubs 'should beat' Championship clubs is for the birds.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think they'd both have a job getting out of the English Championship, but I think if you put Livingston, Dundee United, St.Mirren, St.Johnstone etc into the English Championship every single one of them would sink without trace, and be lucky to tread water a further league or two down the pyramid. The idea that these clubs 'should beat' Championship clubs is for the birds.

It's an interesting one. We had a RWB called Danny McNamara on loan last season, he was decent enough and was in our team the whole time, but looking back he was nothing better than decent and I'm not sure he'd have shone if he'd stayed much longer. Rooney felt like a slight upgrade. He's now a regular starter at mid table Millwall picking up MOM awards.

I think there's a middle ground somewhere that's realistic. I think we'd be hovering around the bottom half of the Championship but able to keep away from relegation, yet if we went down I think we'd have to go for the Play-Offs rather than the title. There seems a weird overlap in quality in divisions down there due to it being 3 down and 3 up.

Folk are blinded by the fact Scottish teams can't compete financially with teams in League One. That doesn't equal us being worse sides.

It's not just skill but if a player can cope with the different style of play in the Scottish game.

Having watched lower league English football for a long time, I can tell you that they get a lot more time on the ball compared to the more frenetic game here. The difference in standard between players is probably bigger as well - there are players who will be good enough for the EPL and others who have just come up from League 1.

We and other clubs have signed players before that are obviously skilled enough who just could not deal with it.

We've also signed players who should have been good enough who turned out to be utter gash.

Joel Kitamarike anyone?

Gordon Strachan to Celtic..... or certainly what twitter is going with 

Maybe has been spoken about already but can't be fucked scrolling back.

Good to be back in top flight football. However less posting from myself or not at all. New second job new opportunities.

Happy fathers day fellow dad's 

Edited by Robin.Hood

I doubt there’s much in it. Strachan to Celtic gets his name trending on Twitter every time  a manager/coach/director  leaves Celtic or they go on a poor run of results. Hopefully it’s just a sh!t bit of journalism linking him to there because he does a bit of media work when they play and his son is there. 

Having said that I’d be gutted if he left. 

8 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm interested in two things - How you can possibly believe this, and on what exactly do you base your assertion that they 'should' beat them?

OK, maybe 'should' is the wrong word, it was late on when I wrote it. But I would be confident in the Scottish club every time.

Budgets (unless they are extreme) very rarely have much impact on finishing positions, we should know this more than anyone.

It's all about opinion on this one, as we have nothing result related to compare. But if it was some kind of 'UK Cup' I would have confidence for us to beat Luton every time.

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's not just skill but if a player can cope with the different style of play in the Scottish game.

Having watched lower league English football for a long time, I can tell you that they get a lot more time on the ball compared to the more frenetic game here. The difference in standard between players is probably bigger as well - there are players who will be good enough for the EPL and others who have just come up from League 1.

We and other clubs have signed players before that are obviously skilled enough who just could not deal with it.

We've also signed players who should have been good enough who turned out to be utter gash.

Joel Kitamarike anyone?

Just checked…he’s 37 now. 

No thanks. 

38 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

See Kyle Lafferty has agreed to sign for Temuri Ketsbaia at Cypriot club Anorthosis Famagusta subject to a medical.

Should be an interesting relationship!

Regards

Nice place to live/play football.

Thank you.

I wonder if there's any chance McPake will be after Hazard again. Celtic will almost certainly be signing a keeper and that'll leave them heavily stocked with Bain, Varkas, new goalkeeper, Hazard and Doohan. Something will need to give.

Doubt Hazard would be keen on being a benchwarmer, however.

Doohan looks pretty much free to go considering he had a couple of loan spells at County & United last season.

Wattie on the other forum made the suggestion of Jake Hyde. He was 20 and relatively decent for us last time round. He's 30 now and more of a target man. I've followed his career a bit and each team has been gutted to see him leave. He's apparently out of contract.

Would anyone take him back as our back-up target man?

I reckon he'd have something to offer despite not being quite the complete player when we last had him.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Wattie on the other forum made the suggestion of Jake Hyde. He was 20 and relatively decent for us last time round. He's 30 now and more of a target man. I've followed his career a bit and each team has been gutted to see him leave. He's apparently out of contract.

I reckon he'd have something to offer despite not being quite the complete player when we last had him.

It’s a no from me. Surely we’ve learnt our lesson of signing players from that level. 

Edited by Yenitit

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tbh, the sheer fact that he's currently at Halifax Town, a team fit to consider Martin Woods a starting CM every week, has me not fully on board.